I think I found my perfect house

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
The plans at least. It might need some adjustment in the garage bay sizes, but........

house1.jpg
house2.jpg
house3.jpg

Nice place Peter!

I would make sure the garage has enough height for a lift.

Not enough glass.

That's better.

That's a lot of stairs! What kind of automation?

No problem with the stairs. There is an elevator or two in the house. The automation included lighting, HVAC, window coverings, security. The electrical contract for that place was near a million dollars. It was done the same way a commercial highrise is done, with conduit in the poured concrete walls. The electrical room (not utility room) is about 200 square feet, next to the elevator machine room.

Late reply, but...

The roof trusses are the 'wrong' way to economically bump the garage lengths, the roof would either need to get taller, or a lower pitch, and the 2nd floor complicates that. And the overall streetview could get top-heavy looking. In addition, having the roof turned that way puts a lot of trusses across the garage door opening, which requires a stronger header (more expensive).

I would take the LH garage and bump it leftward, which would be economical as it only requires more trusses, then turn the garage door to be a side-loader. Then the garage door header only has to support 1 truss, the others sit on the walls. And make that door an 18-footer for sure, I have a 16-ft door on mine and it's kinda tight for 2 C-bodies. This would require a bigger driveway apron at that location, though, and property lines would need to allow it.

I am not an expert, but I read a few house-building books prior to buying our current house (we contemplated building before we realized what a PITA it would be) but I used those tips before building a detached garage 2 years ago.

Overall, the idea on that one is nice but it's poorly executed IMHO to be a cost-effective car-focused mini-residence. I would look for a better plan. One with a few more feet in the master suite also!

If that's to mean 'check out the big brain on Fury Fan', well, you've missed the mark! :rofl:

Late reply, but...

The roof trusses are the 'wrong' way to economically bump the garage lengths, the roof would either need to get taller, or a lower pitch, and the 2nd floor complicates that. And the overall streetview could get top-heavy looking. In addition, having the roof turned that way puts a lot of trusses across the garage door opening, which requires a stronger header (more expensive).

I would take the LH garage and bump it leftward, which would be economical as it only requires more trusses, then turn the garage door to be a side-loader. Then the garage door header only has to support 1 truss, the others sit on the walls. And make that door an 18-footer for sure, I have a 16-ft door on mine and it's kinda tight for 2 C-bodies. This would require a bigger driveway apron at that location, though, and property lines would need to allow it.

I am not an expert, but I read a few house-building books prior to buying our current house (we contemplated building before we realized what a PITA it would be) but I used those tips before building a detached garage 2 years ago.

Overall, the idea on that one is nice but it's poorly executed IMHO to be a cost-effective car-focused mini-residence. I would look for a better plan. One with a few more feet in the master suite also!

From a street view perspective, it can be easily done by only changing the rear roof pitch from what looks to be 12/12 to a lesser 6 or even 4/12. The issue with a side load garage is the extra lot width required. No problem if you are on a large parcel, but on a regular lot, not so much. I saw this and just thought that the design would blend easily into a neighbourhood and be mostly a garage without seeming so. Just a dream anyways.

Back