I want to improve horn function

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have removed the steering wheel on my '66 300 and want to improve the function of the horn. What areas need cleaned up? The back of the steering wheel center? Is the small copper wheel in the center the connection for the horn?

Steering horn off.sm.jpgSteering off.sm.jpg

Steering horn off.sm.jpg

Steering off.sm.jpg

The little bronze colour wheel provides power to the base of the steering wheel. The black wire is a ground to the horn button. When you push on the button, you complete the circuit and the horn blows. Wire brush the steering wheel plate and horn button contacs. I used emery paper on the bronze wheel to brighten it all up.

The little bronze colour wheel provides power to the base of the steering wheel. The black wire is a ground to the horn button. When you push on the button, you complete the circuit and the horn blows. Wire brush the steering wheel plate and horn button contacs. I used emery paper on the bronze wheel to brighten it all up.

Thanks, that was the process I was thinking I needed to do, but didn’t want to overlook something. The horn itself is strong but could be intermittent. It was pretty rusty on the backside of the steering wheel so I feel confident that should take care of it.

You might want to check the actual horn contact to ground and also the wiring connections to the actual horn could be corroded.

One other place to check for problems is on your steering column at the rubber rag joint. The horn circuit is grounded through the column and sometimes the the continuity across the biscuit is poor between the upper and lower sections of the column.

Back