I wound up with a "Mystery Bracket" after a H2O pump swap!

Scott McElheney

Reaction score
Hey, y'all. I'm admitting defeat and need help.

Here's the deal: I replaced the questionable water pump on my 1969 Fury III (318 w/ a/c and p/s) and am in the process or attaching all the accessories. Now, I'm a pretty good wrench and pride myself in being able to reassemble almost anything correctly (eventually), but I've wound up with a "mystery bracket" and an extra bolt that I can't place. That hasn't happened to me since I was about 12. I do have a shop manual but it doesn't have any photos or diagrams of how stuff is mounted to the front of the engine. I also took photos before I disassembled things, but the one of the p/s pump didn't come out, and I didn't notice until it was too late. The p/s pump is where I think the bracket and the extra bolt belong, but I just can't figure it out. So . . . HELP!!! If anyone can talk me through this or send photos, I'd be forever grateful. And thanks in advance.

Here are a couple of photos of the bracket:
Mystery Bracket 1.jpeg

Mystery Bracket 2.jpeg

The pump from the top/front (yeah, that's a new bolt - I managed to lose that one. I'm really batting 1000 with this project. . .):
Pump Top View 1.jpeg
Pump Top View 2.JPG

Front View.jpeg

From the side:
Pump Side View 1.jpeg
Pump Side View 2.jpeg

One of the reasons I think this bracket belongs on the p/s pump is the threaded boss, and I have a vague recollection of removing a bolt on the pump somewhere:
Threaded Boss on Pump.jpeg

Thanks again, y'all.

If it is, I can't figure out where it would go. I've attached the bracket that uses the top two bolts of the water pump and the two bolts on the front of the compressor. I'll give it another look.

Thanks.

...and there you have it.

On my car there's a very small bracket to the compressor that is nearly impossible to see due to the pulley below and the clutch pulley above.

Last edited:
Sho nuff. I swear I don't remember taking it off the A/C compressor, but the exploded view don't lie.

Thanks, Ross.

Back