I'd like to see aftermarket radio installations

swisherred

Reaction score
I dont want to cut my dash up in my newport, but I know I dont want to use the original AM radio. Previous owner installed a radio at one point under the dash next to the aftermarket AC...neither are still installed. I want either a USB or SD card to store all of my music. My door cards were already cut for speakers so I will utilize those existing holes, but I want to see what people have done for installing aftermarket radios head units. I plan on installing a small amp and speakers in the rear deck along with a small sub behind the back seat....not a 3500w system...just enough for some decent sound while on long trips. Maybe a small center console under the dash with the head unit and cup holders? I want it to look nice...not original, but not tacky either.

I replaced my AM radio with a Pioneer DEHX6500-BT with Blue Tooth, USB and a CD. It also has a removable faceplate and a little remote control. It fit without any cutting. Google Pioneer DEHX6500-BT for a ton of info and pictures. As I recall it was around $100 USD.

100_7617f.jpg

there is another option Im looking into that I wasnt even aware of....bluetooth amps...I could keep the radio stock with the original speakers, but add in a bluetooth amp for the additional speakers and connect directly to my phone. i never listen to the radio anyway....I plug my phone into my daily driver and listen to it.

You could also send the original out and have it converted along with adding the features you want, while keeping the original look. Can't think of the name right now, but others here have done this.
I thought about that, but damn is it expensive...the more I look into the bluetooth amps the more I like them. It would require no changes to what i currently have except adding a new power line to remove it from the firewall plug. im fine with that. Ive already put the lights on relays and removed that load from that wire...I dont mind small mods..I just dont want to cut the dash or lose the original radio itself. im thinking I might connnect it to the dash speaker just so it works, but still go with the amp.

Most of the time I just listen to Cd's that I burn with my computer. This radio will link to my cell phone using blue tooth and it has an external microphone that is routed under the trim to the driver side sun visor. I only use my phone for text so I've never tried to use the phone option. I really like the remote control to adjust volume, station, AM/FM/CD. It has an USB port which I assume is for memory sticks, don't know if this port it will charge the phone. I put dual speakers front and rear for stereo. I have some pictures if you are interested.

Yes you can put a ton of electronics in the trunk and control every from the driver' seat using a "head" that connects using I believe a wireless signal. Lots of dollars!!

Most of the time I just listen to Cd's that I burn with my computer. This radio will link to my cell phone using blue tooth and it has an external microphone that is routed under the trim to the driver side sun visor. I only use my phone for text so I've never tried to use the phone option. I really like the remote control to adjust volume, station, AM/FM/CD. It has an USB port which I assume is for memory sticks, don't know if this port it will charge the phone. I put dual speakers front and rear for stereo. I have some pictures if you are interested.

Yes you can put a ton of electronics in the trunk and control every from the driver' seat using a "head" that connects using I believe a wireless signal. Lots of dollars!!
My radio is totally different than yours. I have the dual thumb wheel version. I wouldn't mind pictures though.

I dont want to cut my dash up in my newport, but I know I dont want to use the original AM radio. Previous owner installed a radio at one point under the dash next to the aftermarket AC...neither are still installed. I want either a USB or SD card to store all of my music. My door cards were already cut for speakers so I will utilize those existing holes, but I want to see what people have done for installing aftermarket radios head units. I plan on installing a small amp and speakers in the rear deck along with a small sub behind the back seat....not a 3500w system...just enough for some decent sound while on long trips. Maybe a small center console under the dash with the head unit and cup holders? I want it to look nice...not original, but not tacky either.
just bought Retro radio Redondo Rt (thumbwheels) to put in my 67 Newport, came on here to post about getting the ash tray mounting out as no one tells you how, I'll report back on the install & how it sounds.

Problem with the '67-8 Chrysler inst pnl is that little "peak" in the middle, where the radio goes. Getting the orig radio converted would be the only way to get things to fit and look right, I believe.

Pictures when finished?

CBODY67

Best way I’ve found is buy a new glovebox card and install it in there. I don’t fiddle w the radio when I drive so it was perfect for me. It locks and nobody breaks into an old metal glovebox anymore. All my barracudas were that way and perfect for all my convertibles. I have full coverage so I park w the top down and the crappy old radio in the dash is a nice move along nothing to see here to most creeps.

This car came w this monstrosity so I did nothing. My brother has a cassette maker so I’ve bought some good old ones and made some. Best tape I have is the soundtrack from Vanishing Point. There’s an hour or so of crazy 70’s listening on that job.

Not sure if they make an under dash box like this anymore but it’s a sturdy plastic surround for the state of the art circa 1985 radio.

10C81DF9-CF2F-461C-927A-0FA95270AC6E.jpeg

check out fosgate 300w punch sealed box for the trunk.
jvc detachable face head unit
pioneer 6x9 all around
crunch 1000 amp

try not to die -

- saylor

3KI-suyeCaLgXKTTXwU5c0NnahgZjWNxN_qw278nezSA08shsfa0A8GO5-CKVPDe5VoVfwxB0ERYbvcm8u=w1157-h867-no.jpg

Amazon, 23 dollars, bluetooth and everything. Love it. I had my shop bend up some stainless to blend in.

Last edited:
This is what I used, head's behind the glovebox, a little too deep to fit in the cardboard so no liner anymore, has a remote control also.
Put some tunes on a thumb drive and all is good, can also buy a sirius and/or bluetooth adaptor to plug n play with the head unit. Radio doesn't seem to pull like I want it to, but we're pretty remote up here too.
upload_2019-7-13_18-45-53.png

In my daily driver i quit burning cds so much easier to use flash drives 128 gb and a 32 gb, i've yet to go through the 128 gb once and it's not even full yet

I have a Pioneer MVH-X580BS mounted in the trunk. Everything is controlled via Bluetooth through the ARC app on my phone, including a two-finger touch volume “knob.” Works pretty slick and I can put the phone on the windshield or dash with a cheapo magnet/suction mount.

i tried a retro radio in my '67 Newport but while the co. told me the Duster version of the thumbwheel radio would fit it didn't, the convex shape of the dash wouldnt let me get it in. sent it back and refunded me, then i found Tayman electrical in Sarasota, i sent them my original radio, they replaced the guts with new digtal, am/fm, usb, bluetooth- works great with original dash single speaker, now i just need to find some small pod midrange /tweeters to add under the dash or on the kickpanels and i'll be cruising in style. anyone know any good small pods?

and while i'm on here i would love to convert to electric windows- any suggestions to after market mfg's?

IMG_2751.JPG

Last edited:
Back