Identifying 65 Sport Fury P/S pump

Early C Bodies - The Slab Side Years

1. FFGREG

FFGREG New Member

I have a part # 2537955 Federal power steering pump that I just purchased and wanted to know if it is correct for my 65 Sport Fury big block car? (383) I am scheduling an appointment to have it installed and want to be sure I am giving the mechanic the correct part. Thanks, Greg ffgreg32@aol.com

2. Mudeblue

Mudeblue Member

Good luck. I spent a great deal of time researching this because of a leak in my power steering pump on my 65/383. They are not marked and many of the pumps look the same. Bottom line, if it fits the brackets, fluid lines and pulley, everything should be fine. I installed new O rings and solved my problem which had a bad leak. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FFGREG

FFGREG New Member

Thanks much, I have the correct replacement, as the numbers on the casting are the same as the one installed on mine. Thanks for answering!

4. Joseph James

Joseph James Active Member

How do you remove the reservoir without ruining the metal? I have the seal kit but the reservoir metal seems too flimsy to pry off.

5. jct

jct Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Tap it off with a rubber mallet

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. 65 500

65 500 Senior Member

pump.PNG
    The part number you listed may very well work, it might be a superceded part number. Measure the pump diameter, and also compare where the bolt holes are. It wouldn't hurt to compare the pulley fits too(if your new pump didn't come with a pulley. If it all looks the same, it should work, but that isn't a guarantee.

7. FFGREG

FFGREG New Member

8. FFGREG

FFGREG New Member

Yes, I looked at my p/s pump that's on the car, same casting number, same mounting. Thanks for getting back to me, Getting Ol Sarge out today for a drive in Wi. Cheers, Greg