Idler arm silly question

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I just got a new idler arm for my driver Polara (69)

It comes with 3 seals and in the istructions it says to use two of them on the end where the bolt goes through but doesn't mention the third one.

I could assume it goes on the other end but I don't like to assume.

Alan

I just went out and checked the wagon....yup the foam gaskets/seals go on the top and bottom of the Idler arm where it attaches to the sub frame. And the other one goes between the drag ling and the idler arm connection.

Thanks,

Simple enough.

I'm at work and wanted to have it all figured out before I got home so I could avoid any delays in getting this done.

The car has been restricted to in town driving as I though the ball joints were toast but when I opened it up last weekend I saw that they were not the problem and the idler was about to seperate.

I did look at the ball joints and feel they will hold for a while till I know what my long term plans for this car are.
As it is all the rubber on this car are 1969 factory and should be done just because of age as the car only has about 80k on it.

Alan

Well it is fixed, 2 hours to do a 30 minute job.

Once I had the center link free I went to remove the idler, who in their right mind designed that installation? The idler bolt had a castle nut on the top where you couldn't get to the cotter pin, it probably took 30 minutes just to get that bolt out. Putting the new bolt it wasn't all that easy either, getting everything aligned took a little time, good thing there was no cotter pin on the new one.

All done it made a major difference in the steering response.

Alan

A 2 hr job on steering or suspension doesn't sound bad. Nothing is trivial and there are always problems and trying to find just the right tool. I remember having a lot of trouble tightening the idler nut in my 65 A-body w/ small block. Barely any room to work and the designers thoughtfully enclosed the nut in side plates so you could barely swing a wrench. I kept swearing that I should have installed the idler while I had the engine jacked up and the oil pan off.

Back