If I wanted 68 road wheels like this what am I looking for?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wandering through the 68 Dodge Monaco, Polara 500 & Polara Dealer guide and came across these optional 14" road wheels.
14 x 5.5 or 6 inch road wheel.JPG

So if I start searching at swap meets and online what should I be looking for? I believe the std back spacing is 5-1/2? with 0 offset?

Thank you

I would bet back spacing is no more than 4 inches. The 6” rim width will limits tire choices. Personally i’d go for the brand new 15 x 7 repro wheels.

Yep you are right that is the rim dimensions. Not the back spacing

67 & early production 68 cars used the chrome 14" road wheels referred to as Magnum 500 wheels. Early on in the 68 production they switched to the trim ring style 14" Magnum 500 wheels.

On the swap meet (or similar) wheels, Ford also had some chrome rim Magnum 500s, too. They will have the Ford Oval stamped in them, most probably on the inside of the rim. They will be 14x6s, whereas most of the Chrysler Magnum 500s were 14x5.5s. Look the same, otherwise than the wider rim width.

I don't recall the "trim ring" versions until the '69 model year, which by then, was basically B-body use. That's how I remember it. The '68 Chrysler sales brochure has a picture of a beautiful '68 300 4dr ht. It's got the chrome rim Magnum 500s on it.

The repros, in 15x7, look good on these cars, especially in a "modern" orientation. 4.25" backspacing, most probably. 15x6s are also available in repro, I believe, but with a smaller backspacing than the 15x7s.

CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1968_300_68-300-4-door-hardtop.jpg

CHRYSLER__1968_300_1968_images_1.jpg

Sometimes I like to do things the hard way.
Originals would be nice, but would probably have more in the clean up and rechroming than the new re-pros.
But it gives me something to search for at swap meets.
I understand the upside to 15” , but 15” road wheels (15” magnum 500’s) were not an option on Polara’s in1968 only 14”. Then again if I wanted to stay pure to the build sheet I would fix up my hub caps.
I have new 14” rubber now and still have a lot of things to do to drive, so I have some time to think about it.

Sometimes I like to do things the hard way.
Originals would be nice, but would probably have more in the clean up and rechroming than the new re-pros.
But it gives me something to search for at swap meets.
I understand the upside to 15” , but 15” road wheels (15” magnum 500’s) were not an option on Polara’s in1968 only 14”. Then again if I wanted to stay pure to the build sheet I would fix up my hub caps.
I have new 14” rubber now and still have a lot of things to do to drive, so I have some time to think about it.
I did the 15 inch Magnum 500's. 15X7 from Summit. 23570R15 radials. 1 inch whitewall...Looks "stock' yet modern at the same time. 14 inch tires are slowly going away and the 15"s are still plentiful in the broad tire market.
Sure they are not "correct" yet pass as what was a factory option. My 68 came with 14 inch with full wheel covers.
33041334_10155874076667400_7374293323487379456_n.jpg

Hello
I bought the wheel vintiques 15 x7 and they are great I believe I paid $154.99 a piece. They are very well made and are exact looking to the originals. I looked for a long time for the chrome version at swap meets craigslist and E bay and anything I found was expensive and junk. The chrome usually heavily pitted and rusted with road rash. By the time you would find a set paint them and rechrome you will be in for a lot more $$. I have seen ones with beauty rings that are savable by painting and replacing the rings but still pricey. IMHO you cant beat the new ones they are very nice quality and look gret Good Luck Frank

I got lucky a few years ago and found a set on CL for $ 175 with out the centers. They are very good driver quality with no chrome pitting and only a very little bit of dull chrome on 2. They are on the rear since my Fury has skirts. They are OE 14" x 5 1/2 ". It is the look I have always wanted for the Fury.

Seems like the approx. $150.00/repro 15x7 Wheel Vintiques price has been pretty much the same for about 10 years? Might need the center cap, though, which would be extra. Considering the issue of 14" tires in the P225/75R-14 / H78-14 / 8.55x14 size equivalents (the H78x14 was VERY common in the later '60s on other-than-Chrysler C-body cars!) AND their repro price, the 15x7s or 15s6s are a very good option. Which also looks "period correct" on these cars. Probably even a little better than the stock 14" Magnum 500s did, back then.

CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1967_NEWPORT_CE23_MAG 500_tumblr_niuqgg0zEm1tyaf2qo1_500.jpg

Whitewall tires for a 14" rim are becoming difficult to find in the right size. I'm going with 15X7 steelies modified to accept my original 14" wheel covers. The Monaco heels over like a sailboat in the turns. it needs some bigger 15" tires on it.

On the swap meet (or similar) wheels, Ford also had some chrome rim Magnum 500s, too. They will have the Ford Oval stamped in them, most probably on the inside of the rim. They will be 14x6s, whereas most of the Chrysler Magnum 500s were 14x5.5s. Look the same, otherwise than the wider rim width.

I don't recall the "trim ring" versions until the '69 model year, which by then, was basically B-body use. That's how I remember it. The '68 Chrysler sales brochure has a picture of a beautiful '68 300 4dr ht. It's got the chrome rim Magnum 500s on it.

The repros, in 15x7, look good on these cars, especially in a "modern" orientation. 4.25" backspacing, most probably. 15x6s are also available in repro, I believe, but with a smaller backspacing than the 15x7s.

CBODY67

Keep in mind that the art work and photos for the brochures are completed very early on and are not up updated to address production changes during the year. Most 68's had the trim ring style Magnum 500.

Another consideration is if you think you will convert to disc brakes some day you would need the 15" wheels. Here is a pic of my 68 Sporty Fury with the 15" Magnum 500 wheels.
68 Green SF at Carlisle 2010.jpg

15" wheels and tires on these cars improve the ride and handling quite a bit. I did the same thing with my GTO years ago. The 69s came with 14" wheels that I swapped out for 15" Rallye IIs from a 70s Trans AM.

Can't go wrong with the Mopar Road wheels on a 67 or newer car. The best looking Factory Mag wheels ever offered.

I have brand new 14" Hankook optima's on there now and I don't need two sets of tires. So I need to wear this new set out and get 15" and new tires ~$1200 or 14" road wheels ~$700.
I don't need 4 extra tire sitting around my garage.

I'll bet those Hankooks will be "kooked" by the time you get everything dialed in on your 68. Just take your time as you have been and make the decision thats right for you.

I'll likely be going with @rapidtrans 's option as I really like my wheel covers but want 15" again. Either way, it'll be a while till that happens and for now, I've got four corners of new 14" rubber to absorb the TERRIBLE alignment on my 67.

Whitewall tires for a 14" rim are becoming difficult to find in the right size. I'm going with 15X7 steelies modified to accept my original 14" wheel covers. The Monaco heels over like a sailboat in the turns. it needs some bigger 15" tires on it.

("That thing got a sway bar under it?" Said in the manner of "That thing got a Hemi in it?")

Keep in mind that the art work and photos for the brochures are completed very early on and are not up updated to address production changes during the year. Most 68's had the trim ring style Magnum 500.

Another consideration is if you think you will convert to disc brakes some day you would need the 15" wheels. Here is a pic of my 68 Sporty Fury with the 15" Magnum 500 wheels.
View attachment 186817

My 68 300 is a March build and has all chrome Magnums.

IMG_8875.JPG
I just made the switch over to the 15x6 wheel vintiques-Summit had them to my door in two days!

Back