if you had a 1,000,000+ bucks to send on you home site for my hoard , where would you live ?

Sadly, this type of shat is all too common.

If there's a trust, that makes it a lot easier, almost black and white as to what's supposed to happen to the estate. If the trust says 50/50, the state's on your side. No deviating.

A friend of mine lives in Bend, OR. Half an hour outside city limits a guy he knows got a huge property he paved an 1/8 mile drag strip on.
They meet 2 or 3 times a year for burnouts and bbq... It looks like a ton of fun

DSC_3115.JPG

Where should I start for you on advantages? What do you want to know what's different then CA. I'd be more then happy to help get your questions answered. The list is very long.

Ok,thanks.Since most of my questions were regarding vehicles I had good look at the Nevada DMV site and got the general idea but just want to confirm a few things.
For private party used car sales within the state,there's no sales tax...is that correct?
Regarding private party vehicles from out of state,no tax on those either? no mechanical inspection required? just an emission check if necessary?

I see Nevada offers a variety of classic car,street rod,and even replica pre-61 YOM plates which is pretty cool.The application looks pretty straight forward,are there any hidden hoops to jump through? Do people ever get declined on these?

Enough about the cars,how are property taxes in NV? they seem to vary a lot from state to state and some are brutal.Do they vary much from county to county in NV?

Ok,thanks.Since most of my questions were regarding vehicles I had good look at the Nevada DMV site and got the general idea but just want to confirm a few things.
For private party used car sales within the state,there's no sales tax...is that correct?
Regarding private party vehicles from out of state,no tax on those either? no mechanical inspection required? just an emission check if necessary?

I see Nevada offers a variety of classic car,street rod,and even replica pre-61 YOM plates which is pretty cool.The application looks pretty straight forward,are there any hidden hoops to jump through? Do people ever get declined on these?

Enough about the cars,how are property taxes in NV? they seem to vary a lot from state to state and some are brutal.Do they vary much from county to county in NV?

1st paragraph. Yes to all, you're correct. No emission's test for vehicles older than 25 YO. 3 years ago I paid $65 in CA; NV with a G.I discount is $15. Vehicle renewal in CA was $125 before I left, NV. is $65. Mind you we are talkin about a 25 YO vehicle. God only knows how much the people are getting raped now?
The different plates thing has problems with it. People are registering older daily drivers with those old plates when it's a 2K mile restriction. They also do this to avoid having to smog check. Nobody get's declined! Washoe & Clark Counties are the only smog counties in the state.
Veterans have better Tax breaks then the others.

yes vehicle reg and lic in calif is stupid money . thanks for your guys thoughts on this matter . i'm looking all over the place for my new home shop car barn site . and i look the input i'm receiving . the layer of the trust is talking about property in florida , would be cool to have some income property there , maybe a apartment complex thing . so when i go to the races i can have a house and a car there . just dream'n a bit , lol . it still could be real .

yes vehicle reg and lic in calif is stupid money . thanks for your guys thoughts on this matter . i'm looking all over the place for my new home shop car barn site . and i look the input i'm receiving . the layer of the trust is talking about property in florida , would be cool to have some income property there , maybe a apartment complex thing . so when i go to the races i can have a house and a car there . just dream'n a bit , lol . it still could be real .

Just a few more thoughts about where to relocate.I've decided to move from where I'm currently living and working once I'm done with my work commitments and narrowed it down to a couple places which are only a couple hours from each other.
I think one of the key things is to figure out what you really want or need to be close to and what you can be a ways away from without it becoming an obstacle to going there.Say if you want to go racing every weekend,then it's good to be within a couple hours of the track you want to go to the most.If it's a yearly or just occasional thing then distance doesn't really matter,make a road trip out of it and have a blast.
Same goes for whatever activities that are a priority for you.Might be a good idea to make a list of what you plan to do and put them in the order of importance and use that as a reference.

Climate is a big consideration along with environment.Do you like the desert landscapes? or do you prefer treed areas? Will you be there in the winter? what's it like then? If you're contemplating a new area,it might be a good idea just to rent something there for a couple months in the winter to get a feel for it.If you're thinking somewhere that get's really hot in the summer,might want to try that first before you commit.Some areas have their own micro climates depending on location and if they're close to mountains or waterways.Good to know ahead of time what you're getting into.
A couple years ago I bought a cheap old commercial building in a small town near the area I want to be in and found out later that it's in a high wind corridor.Not a huge deal but I have to make sure everything is secure and won't get damaged or blown away when the winds get going.
Moving is an expensive PITA,you don't want to have to do it twice.

If you find a place you like,walk the area to see what the traffic is like at different times of day and what the neighbors are like.Talk to them if you can.I recently looked at a house in a different city that I wasn't familiar with and found out from talking with one of the neighbors that they recently opened a safe injection site about a mile away and the junkies prowl the area on BMX bikes all hours of the night looking for things to steal.Now I know why there were a number of houses in that area for sale.

Another big consideration in a rural area is water.If you're outside of a municipal area then you probably will be looking at a place with a well which can be a deal breaker if it's no good.A friend of mine bought a place just outside the municipal boundry and went to put in a well.The neighbors all had tons of good water on shallow wells so he thought he would be fine.Turns out he had to go quite a bit deeper to get water and it didn't flow that well so then he had to get a storage system which cost him a bunch more money.A few years later the well dried up (this was in an area that gets 200" rain a year) so he had to drill another deeper well.Same story,it was barely adequate for a year or two then nothing.He had to get bulk water deliveries a couple times a week after that until he ended up having to buy another place.
Be really careful about places on well water.The upkeep can be a pain and if you run out of water,the property is almost useless.

Last edited:
I’m in Santa Clarita valley so I’m very familiar w Santa Paula. It’s a really cool area. They have hangars you can get at the SP airport. The only issue I see is in the next 10 years it’s going to be nuked. They have big plans for the 126 corridor and a sleepy little B road hiway ain’t it. It’s going to be as bad as the 101 & the 118 west of LA. Too bad too because it’s a really cool spot. You might consider outside of Ojai on the 33. It’s minutes from SP but I can’t see how they’re going to get up there and mess it up. Good luck with your search and sorry about your dad.

still looking of course , these ideas are great , and info is wonderful as well . keep them coming , rentals are a good for latter income , even thoughts on a storage facility . but as you say spending time to get to know the new area can be an on going thing . i need a climate thats suitable for my back issues , so even though i enjoy the visit to the snow , don't need that issue in my life . racing well , thats a fun deal , not a pro or want to be . just fun for me , some what close to get to an event is important of course , but a little travel'n can make trips into mini vacations . thats how i looked at my swapmeet vendor days . i visited alot of cities and town through and then spend some days there as well , those were cool days . so warm , not f.....n hot is cool with me . cold i'd rather stay way from , rain and wind is not desired , is to be everywhere on the plant . i would love to move santa clara's climate with me , lol . but is cool here right now . so i need an up grade ! lol .

Sorry to here about your Dad, I pray things go smoothly with your sister and the estate is settled quickly. Good luck finding your new home and moving your horde.

I have a buddy who's spent a lot of time in different parts of California over the years and he figures that the San Diego area has the best all around climate.Obviously it's going to be less moderate as you get further from the ocean but if you can find something suitable there,you shouldn't have any issues with the weather.

I have some experience with rental properties.Several years ago I saw something on either the Hemmings or Hagerty site about a guy in New York State (I think) and his deal was to buy older,but good condition,2/3 bedroom bungalows with double garages and rent out the houses and use the garages for his personal car collection.I think he had around 10 houses IIRC.I thought this was genius especially if you have limited space where you live,your cars are runners,and you need cash flow.Another bonus is you have someone around where your cars are unlike a lot of storage facilities.
Those type of houses are on the lower end of the price scale due to being smaller and in older neighborhoods so start up costs weren't super high and renters for those types of places tend to be pretty down to earth and low maintenance.Once you get into higher end rental units,the tenants tend to be really picky and often act like entitled a-holes.

I set off to try out the concept about three years ago after kinda being forced to sell a multifamily building I was a partner in and frankly,I like this a lot better even though it's not near where I live although it will be in a few more years.Multi-family units can be a pain as the tenants are often complaining about each others noises,work schedule,pets,etc.Being the landlord,you often end up having to be the referee in these disputes.
Recently I found this couples YouTube channel and they buy the same type of houses although they focus on cash flow rather than storing cars.Lots of good common sense advice and strategies in some of them although I do things a bit different in some ways than they do.They do a lot of reno work on their places when after they buy them on the cheap but they seem to buy in areas where labour and materials are much less than anywhere I've ever experienced.I prefer to buy more turn key type places to avoid the renovations headaches and delays.One house I bought and had rented out without even going to it.The place looked clean and tidy,the building inspection checked out and everything worked out great.Three years later,I still have the original tenants and they take really good care of the place.

Here's a link to the YouTube channel,probably best to start with their early videos to get the basic concept of how they do it.

Back