Ignition Lock Cylinder - 74 Fury

jason99

Reaction score
Parked my 74 Fury a few weeks ago. Went to go fire it up today, key goes in, buzzer goes on, ignition cylinder won't turn. I jiggled the wheel to no avail. Should I spray some penetrating oil in the key hole to see if something is just bound up? What am I missing here or do I have a spontaneous lock cylinder failure?

There´s metallic plates inside the lock. Make sure that they are correctly aligned to allow the key to work properly and you may try penetrator. Any way, it still sounds like the time for changing the lock cylinder, IMO.

I was rolling it around on dollies in between the last time it started and now. Could that have torqued up something in the steering column and it's jammed now?

An experienced locksmith, who knows the cut depths AND how to read them, can cut you a new key to your existing "code". It could be that the wear had made the key just out of spec for the tumblers in the cylinder itself. Putting your key in a duplicator for a duplicate will only give you a WORN key on a new key blank. You want a hand-cut key with the correct cut depths in the correct sequence.

In the mean time, insert the key into the cylinder and see if you move in slightly in or out, just a hair's width, and see if it will turn at THAT position.

Keep us posted,
CBODY67

Well, after a quick lunch and air break, turns out it works better if I use the actual ignition key and not some mystery pentastar key. More than a little embarrassing.

As it seems I'm lacking mental capacity today, I'm just going to go ahead and scrub operation 'patch the transmission cooling line' and get back after it another day.

Last edited:
Yes, make a couple of copies of the key to make it useful during emergencies and any locksmith can make it cheap.

Back