Ignition switch

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This afternoon I inserted my car key into the ignition cylinder on the steering column and noticed a slight delay or pause before the engine started. Long story short I think the cylinder is malfunctioning. Just to be sure I rigged a squeeze trigger switch across the starter relay: squeeze the trigger the motor fires right up without any delay starting. I wanted to be sure nothing was going on under the hood.

So what goes bad with this thing? I could not find an exploded view of an actual ignition cylinder. I guess this bugger is gonna have to come out of the column and replaced? I have a steering wheel puller to get the the steering wheel off....I never liked the one that came with the car so this might be a good excuse to replace it with one from a different model....New Yorker or 300 maybe. This happen to you? Comments?

Chrysler Ignition Cylinder.jpgIMG_8176.jpg

Chrysler Ignition Cylinder.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

...thought it was the other way around......it was sad until it was switched to the steering column??

No, Stans correct..... used to able to pop a ignition switch out easy when it was on the dash....within minutes

....guess that makes sense. Guess this is a bad omen then. Oh well, just have to dive into it head first. Not gonna fix itself.

Unscrew the bevel, reach up from behind and pull it down, xfer wires to new switch, pop it back into the hole, screw on bezel
. POOF. Done.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Well. Piece of cake, then. 2 minute job, total.
Anybody without a SM for their car is up the creek.

Ya baby, I'm diggin this....WooHoo. Heck, I may go out into the garage tonight and get r done.......

Can't go thru life relying on Google. Ya gotta break down for the SM sometime.

This is exactly why the internet was invented. Get with the program already.

BUT, I got two SMs, anyways.....one for my C and one for the other car.

Which part do you think is bad, the switch or the lock cylinder?

Traded the car for a 61 Plymouth I heard. LOL

Hello,im new to the forum,i have a 72 fury 3 2door with issues,to start the thing u pull headlight switch out all the way to engage the starter,is the starter and light relays linked somewhere in the wire harness.any help thanks.

Re original question, the A-body forum has a great post on removing the column switch, with detailed photos that explain it much better than the factory manual. C-body columns might be similar.

rpearson, I never heard of the headlight switch interacting with the starter, though I never had a 72. I would suspect a short in the wiring. First, check your bulkhead connector thru the firewall. It is common for the large wires (ALT & BAT) to melt the plastic and cause weird shorts.

Back