Igntion system..Replace/Upgrade???

Lucille_B_Newport

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post and I just want to let everyone know that it is nice to finally find a place where I could get the answers that are so hard to find.

I was thinking about putting a little work into my ignition system and was looking for some ideas. I was wondering if anyone has a specific brand that was used and or any tips to make all of what Im tryin to do successful.....O....I guess it would help to let you all know what Im working with... 1969 Chrysler Newport with the 383.

thanks

It depends...For example I have a 70 Polara ragtop that I'm keeping in stock condition due to it's rarity. Therefore the 318 still has points. On the other hand my 68 Monaco is a bit of a Frankenstein. It has a 78 440 block with earlier heads and has been generally messed with by POs. It has the late 70's electonic ignition module. They both run nice now so "if it ain't broke...." Why do you want to change? How does you car run? What is your goal? BTW :welcome:

My overall goal is to have Lucille at a point were I can drive from California to New York and back with worry as possible. Ignition and electrical just happened to be what I decided to begin with. Overall she drives great though.....

An electronic ignition is always a good idea. Very little in the way of maintenance compared to points and the engine will run more efficiently over all.

yes i don't think you can go wrong with the mopar electronic ignition. however a point ignition is reliable as well. we weren't restricted to only being able to drive to the next town over. we wre capable of making many coast to coast trips

Yeah, I drove from Denver to St. Louis once...zero problems. Nobody expected her to make it and see ran great for 2yrs after that. When I went into the military...she sat in my moms FLOODING garage for the next 3 winter and springs. when I finally got her down to NM...she never drove the same. 6 yrs and a rebuild later I am still reluctant to drive in town.... but I guess thats for another forum/tread... thanks again for the advice.

Back