Im looking at buying a 63 newport have lots of questions

63NewportNJ

Reaction score
Hey guys I don't know anything about Chryslers to start off with. I've restored GM and Ford cars before but I've never had a Chrysler. I came across a 63 Newport four-door locally that's in pretty good shape. It's been off the road for a while but I'm not worried about that and it has really minimal rust. The owner thinks it has a 383 in it. There is water leaking into the trunk (it's got a little water in it, not like a flood) and the rug was damp by the front seats, and the seats need to be recovered, also it was hit in the driver side door and the trim is bent. The door looks repairable it's not that bad of a dent, but I don't think the trim is savable. How hard is it to find an upholstery kit, and I'm guessing new seals for the windshield and back glass, and weather stripping for the doors? I'm having trouble finding any parts for the car. Other than the 300 what other models are the same? Also are there headers that fit this chassis? I'm thinking of repainting it from fawn yellow, to either red, black, or silver with a black interior, then I want to get a 4 barrel, headers, and put a cam in, and put on a set of the American racing 5 spokes with black centers or a set of slots on it, then im toying with a super stock scoop but im not sure if it's right for the car. My end goal is kind of like a sporty-looking muscle/family car to take the family out in.

Head over to www.hamtramck-historical.com and look in the "Library" section for order guides, sales/trim guides, and such. Then you can head over to www.eatondetroitspring.com . . . fill out the vehicle information in the menu, then when the page with their parts for the car happens, click on the Pentastar on the rh end of the upper tool bar to get a copy of the New Car Sales brochure. From those TWO resources, you can see what the NEwport has on it or could have on it.

If it's a Newport and a 2bbl, it's a 361 V-8. A smaller-bore 383. Same things which fit a 383 will fit that 361. Somer'62 361s could have factory 4bbls. Even with the 2bbl, you might be surprised how responsive it is off-idle and how it cruises easily on the road. Key word "cruises", as it was designed for highway performance rather than 1/4 mile racing. Adding a 4bbl might look "performance", but also consider that the primary side of a 600cfm 4bbl is the same size as the throttle bores in that 2bbl carb already. So not a lot of additional performance, in normal driving, from going to the effort and expense for a 4bbl, except at WOT and how much does that really happen, fwiw.

You might have to find a Mopar-only salvage yard to get that piece of trim, but some will only sell a complete door with the trim attached. Murray Park can be a resource for this.

ONE thing to remember about Chrysler products is that Chrysler designed "package vehicles", meaning that everything was built/designed to work together synergistically. Engines and transmission, too. Ford and GM did not do that as well as Chrysler did, back then. Which means, basically, that dual exhaust might be good, but headers might not, per se, for the benefit received other than visual. Rebuild and firm-up the suspension with some KYB shocks and it should be better than you might suspect . . . as to ride and handling. OEM, they rode more responsively and firmer than similar Ford or GM cars, but with a bit more road noise, by observation. Which also means they'll corner flatter and better, too! That was one of the beauties of Chryslers back then! Agile, responsive, and efficient operation.

Back then, EACH OEM had their own feel and such. THAT is what made Chrysler products GREAT, to me, but alien to people who were used to driving GM cars. SO . . . do NOT try to make this car act like something you might be used to (Ford or GM), but rather celebrate and enhance the Chrysler Character that these cars had . . . period. We all know that it takes headers to make a Ford or GM V-8 run well, but Chrysler usually had better-flowing exhaust systems from the factory than either Ford or GM, by observation, although it might not look that much different. That, plus underhood space limitations, is why I recommend only a dual exhaust (up to 2.5" diameter pipes and mufflers) rather than headers, for the best "bang for the buck". Plus the cost of headers, these days, not to forget the B/RB HP cast iron exhaust manifolds!

You'll need a good trim shop to recover the seats, plus using the Chrysler "French Seam" method of sewing things together. SMS can be the resource for fabrics, possibly.

When you remove the seats for repairs, you can get some DynaMat (or similar) for the floorpans to insulate better and help with the road noise.

DO check the threads in here on "Ammeter Bypass", too, doing that one upgrade to the charging system wiring.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

It sounds like you are looking for more power. I would get the car road worthy before looking to make upgrades on the engine. I would go with a 4 barrel carb and aluminum manifold as well as duals. If it is a 361, don't over cam it. You could use the 383/440 cam from 69/70. The suggestion about using the high-performance exhaust manifolds is a good one, but they will most likely cost as much as headers. If you do a lot of around town driving, then a better set of gears would help your off the line performance. Good luck.

Head over to www.hamtramck-historical.com and look in the "Library" section for order guides, sales/trim guides, and such. Then you can head over to www.eatondetroitspring.com . . . fill out the vehicle information in the menu, then when the page with their parts for the car happens, click on the Pentastar on the rh end of the upper tool bar to get a copy of the New Car Sales brochure. From those TWO resources, you can see what the NEwport has on it or could have on it.

If it's a Newport and a 2bbl, it's a 361 V-8. A smaller-bore 383. Same things which fit a 383 will fit that 361. Somer'62 361s could have factory 4bbls. Even with the 2bbl, you might be surprised how responsive it is off-idle and how it cruises easily on the road. Key word "cruises", as it was designed for highway performance rather than 1/4 mile racing. Adding a 4bbl might look "performance", but also consider that the primary side of a 600cfm 4bbl is the same size as the throttle bores in that 2bbl carb already. So not a lot of additional performance, in normal driving, from going to the effort and expense for a 4bbl, except at WOT and how much does that really happen, fwiw.

You might have to find a Mopar-only salvage yard to get that piece of trim, but some will only sell a complete door with the trim attached. Murray Park can be a resource for this.

ONE thing to remember about Chrysler products is that Chrysler designed "package vehicles", meaning that everything was built/designed to work together synergistically. Engines and transmission, too. Ford and GM did not do that as well as Chrysler did, back then. Which means, basically, that dual exhaust might be good, but headers might not, per se, for the benefit received other than visual. Rebuild and firm-up the suspension with some KYB shocks and it should be better than you might suspect . . . as to ride and handling. OEM, they rode more responsively and firmer than similar Ford or GM cars, but with a bit more road noise, by observation. Which also means they'll corner flatter and better, too! That was one of the beauties of Chryslers back then! Agile, responsive, and efficient operation.

Back then, EACH OEM had their own feel and such. THAT is what made Chrysler products GREAT, to me, but alien to people who were used to driving GM cars. SO . . . do NOT try to make this car act like something you might be used to (Ford or GM), but rather celebrate and enhance the Chrysler Character that these cars had . . . period. We all know that it takes headers to make a Ford or GM V-8 run well, but Chrysler usually had better-flowing exhaust systems from the factory than either Ford or GM, by observation, although it might not look that much different. That, plus underhood space limitations, is why I recommend only a dual exhaust (up to 2.5" diameter pipes and mufflers) rather than headers, for the best "bang for the buck". Plus the cost of headers, these days, not to forget the B/RB HP cast iron exhaust manifolds!

You'll need a good trim shop to recover the seats, plus using the Chrysler "French Seam" method of sewing things together. SMS can be the resource for fabrics, possibly.

When you remove the seats for repairs, you can get some DynaMat (or similar) for the floorpans to insulate better and help with the road noise.

DO check the threads in here on "Ammeter
It sounds like you are looking for more power. I would get the car road worthy before looking to make upgrades on the engine. I would go with a 4 barrel carb and aluminum manifold as well as duals. If it is a 361, don't over cam it. You could use the 383/440 cam from 69/70. The suggestion about using the high-performance exhaust manifolds is a good one, but they will most likely cost as much as headers. If you do a lot of around town driving, then a better set of gears would help your off the line performance. Good luck.

Bypass", too, doing that one upgrade to the charging system wiring.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67
First I want to say thank you that was a lot of information.

One thing I'm taking away from all this though is that there really isn't much in the way of suppliers is there?

My goal with the car is a cruiser. My first car was a 74 Olds 88 with a 4 barrel and I added headers and 2 1/2 duals and it woke the car up. When it was too rotted I bought a 73 with a 2 barrel the car was good off the line but anytime you put your foot more than a 1/4 of the way into the throttle all the good acceleration disappeared. I swapped the 4 barrel from the one car on and it became a great accelerating car especially when passing on the highway. Neither was really anything for the drag strip but peppy when you needed it. That's kind of where my mind is with this car. Granted this was a Quadrajet with tiny primaries so it's not exactly apples to apples, when I put an AFB or a Holley on there it will be square bore. I know that Chrysler was renowned for their suspension and engine engineering. And that's part of my excitement with this car I know that it'll corner pretty well for a big car and that Chrysler Motors make good power to start off with. Were you saying that RB exhaust manifolds actually flow really well? I'd rather not deal with headers if I don't have to. Also is this the same 383 that was in the Chargers and barracudas later on? Also I didn't see any casting numbers is there an easy way to see what engine is in there?

57fury440. I'm not necessarily going for big power, I just kind of want to optimize what I have. I'm thinking that a newer cam profile with a power band from around 1500-5500 might pick me up a little more horsepower and some more torque, and a four barrel will help with acceleration above a quarter throttle. I didn't know that factory exhaust manifolds on Chryslers actually flow, I'm used to them being a giant cork lol.

Does anyone have a supplier for the rubber parts? Like the windshield and back glass gaskets, along with the weather stripping around the doors? If I can't stop the water from coming in I won't buy the car. Is there any areas that typically rot that would allow the water in I should look for?

One thing I'm taking away from all this though is that there really isn't much in the way of suppliers is there?

My goal with the car is a cruiser. My first car was a 74 Olds 88 with a 4 barrel and I added headers and 2 1/2 duals and it woke the car up. When it was too rotted I bought a 73 with a 2 barrel the car was good off the line but anytime you put your foot more than a 1/4 of the way into the throttle all the good acceleration disappeared. I swapped the 4 barrel from the one car on and it became a great accelerating car especially when passing on the highway. Neither was really anything for the drag strip but peppy when you needed it. That's kind of where my mind is with this car. Granted this was a Quadrajet with tiny primaries so it's not exactly apples to apples, when I put an AFB or a Holley on there it will be square bore. I know that Chrysler was renowned for their suspension and engine engineering. And that's part of my excitement with this car I know that it'll corner pretty well for a big car and that Chrysler Motors make good power to start off with. Were you saying that RB exhaust manifolds actually flow really well? I'd rather not deal with headers if I don't have to. Also is this the same 383 that was in the Chargers and barracudas later on? Also I didn't see any casting numbers is there an easy way to see what engine is in there?

57fury440. I'm not necessarily going for big power, I just kind of want to optimize what I have. I'm thinking that a newer cam profile with a power band from around 1500-5500 might pick me up a little more horsepower and some more torque, and a four barrel will help with acceleration above a quarter throttle. I didn't know that factory exhaust manifolds on Chryslers actually flow, I'm used to them being a giant cork lol.

Does anyone have a supplier for the rubber parts? Like the windshield and back glass gaskets, along with the weather stripping around the doors? If I can't stop the water from coming in I won't buy the car. Is there any areas that typically rot that would allow the water in I should look for?
If your car has the original engine, it'll be a 361. That's the only engine they offered in a Newport that year.

While the 361 is a good and very reliable engine, it's still a low compression (9:1) and has small exhaust valves. (1.6"). IMHO, it's not going to respond to a lot of mods like headers well enough to make any changes worth doing. Be that as it may, yes, the HP manifolds will flow really well and (again IMHO) will probably do just as much as adding a set of headers, especially at the low end. If you go to Nick's Garage on YouTube, he does some comparisons of headers v. manifolds. Keep in mind he's doing with a 426 wedge with more cubic inches, better heads and larger exhaust valves, so any gains he may show is going to be negated by your small exhaust valves. Your Newport won't have the HP manifolds, but probably adding a dual exhaust is probably going to do as much as screwing with changing manifolds. With a heavy car, you want the low end anyway. If you want to go fast, start looking for a 440.

If you rebuild the 361, you'll probably have to buy EGGE pistons and that means a cast aluminum piston that isn't cheap.

Here's one of the better sites I've found for casting numbers. DODGE TRUCKS @ DODGEBOYS.NET-A Guide To Mopar V8 Cylinder Head And Block Casting Numbers.

I seem to remember reading you can bore a 361 to 383 bore, but that's a ton of iron to take out. (.125")

As far as the weather stripping. IIRC, that has a rubber/windlacing material and you can buy that by the foot. I had to do that with my '65 Barracuda. That's actually really good as they don't sell a lot of that stuff for C-bodies.

Last edited:

Thanks for the kind words and comments.

One thing about Rochester 2bbls, they are NOT all the same. Some were 1.44" throttle bores as others were 1.56" and up to 1.69". The Chevy 350s I've driven with the 1.69 OEM 2bbl ran almost as good as a QJet, with even better off-idle response. In normal driving speed ranges, they felt better than any QJet 350 I've been around, fwiw.

The interesting fact is that in '62 Plymouths, a 361 4bbl had decent horsepower for that time, with the larger 383 4bbl being rated at 330 horsepower in '63. And those 4bbls would have been in the 500-575 cfm range, usually. Other than factory dual exhaust, the 4bbls had a 10.0 CR and a bit larger cam. HP exhaust manifolds did not appear until 1967 on the 440/375 GTX motor.

Before those HP manifolds, Chrysler made some beautiful, tubular round upswept and down exhaust manifolds for their inline 2x4bbl motors, but would not clear a power brake booster on the '62 cars, from what I've read. Obviously, the '67+ HP manifolds came out of that research?

Compared to GM, Chrysler typically had pretty conventional and effective undercar exhaust systems, OEM. Whereas Ford and EACH of the GM divisions had their own design theories, back then. Chevy, for examply, would use decent front pipes, but the muffler outlet would be small (like on our '69 Chevy pickup single exhaust 350 4bbl, 2.75" inlet and 2.00" outlet. And Ford put 2.0" pipes on everything, from a 223 6-cyl to a 427 4x2bbl Galaxie.

Out Mopar club, in its earlier days, had members with 340 Darts, 383 and 440 B-bodies, and such. All with their factory-configured exhaust systems and exhaust manifolds. These guys were good drag racers and had their cars' tuning finessed very well. They put out an "Exhaust manifold and factory exhaust" challenge to the Chevy racers (all of whom had headers and "custom" exhaust systems). Funny thing was that our guys' cars ran at least as fast as the "modified" stock Chevies. So, NO Chevy racer accepted our challenge. Another testiment to how well a factory HP Mopar could and would run, when tuned with finesse. Even with their stock carbs. And, when one guy decided to go "non-stock upgrade" with an aftermarket cam, the car ran slower (remember my comment about "packages"?) and he thrashed on it until he put the stock cam back in the car. BTAIM

Another deal was that one weekend night, we met the Dallas club at a cruise spot. As things progressed, the issue of "contests" came up. When the participant went to a deserted venue for such, one of the Dallas guys (with a 440 B-body) said he'd heard our group had some fast cars, so he wanted to race one of the 440 cars. He got shot down when our guys said, FIRST, in order to get to the 440s, you have to get past that 340 Dart Swinger. He laughed, but his souped 440 could not get past that 340 Swinger (w/3.91 gears). So he didn't laugh any more. Nor did some others, either. Last time such contests happened between us and them, except on the drag strip (with similar results). Sorry for that diversion.

So, do the maintenance and learn about the cars. Then drive it for a good while to determine what you might desire to proceed with on a cost/benefit basis.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You cannot use any mopar HP exhaust manifolds on that car. The driver side is a center exit straight down, the steering box is mounted rearward and will be in the way Of any HP manifold.

for what you plan to do I’d look for a different car to start with, or change the game plan.

Last edited:
In the world of exhaust manifolds, it's not really the shape but the section width of the innards and the diameter of the exit hole, usually. Unless it's a strict log-style as Ford FE engines had. Granted, the upswept Chrylser B/RB HP manifolds look great and work well, too. That design must be worth something or Chevy would not have put it on their '90s LT1 (reverse flow cooling system) in Caprices, but hidden under two layers of heat shields. When I saw them in the parts illustrations, I laughed and smiled!

A few of Nick's videos compare Chrysler factory HP exhaust manifolds to his shop headers. Not nearly as much difference as you might expect, it seems.

Some of the dyno tests in the later 1960s indicated that the Chrysler HP manifolds lost about 15 horsepower when compared to headers of that time. But they were still better than the normal exhaust manifolds, beyond a doubt. At a time when the detractions of "racing" headers centered around flange leaks at the cyl head and having to put dimples into the tubes to get them to fit right. So . . . here comes Chrysler with something OEM that is almost as good without the hassles.

CBODY67

Hey guys I don't know anything about Chryslers to start off with. I've restored GM and Ford cars before but I've never had a Chrysler. I came across a 63 Newport four-door locally that's in pretty good shape. It's been off the road for a while but I'm not worried about that and it has really minimal rust. The owner thinks it has a 383 in it. There is water leaking into the trunk (it's got a little water in it, not like a flood) and the rug was damp by the front seats, and the seats need to be recovered, also it was hit in the driver side door and the trim is bent. The door looks repairable it's not that bad of a dent, but I don't think the trim is savable. How hard is it to find an upholstery kit, and I'm guessing new seals for the windshield and back glass, and weather stripping for the doors? I'm having trouble finding any parts for the car. Other than the 300 what other models are the same? Also are there headers that fit this chassis? I'm thinking of repainting it from fawn yellow, to either red, black, or silver with a black interior, then I want to get a 4 barrel, headers, and put a cam in, and put on a set of the American racing 5 spokes with black centers or a set of slots on it, then im toying with a super stock scoop but im not sure if it's right for the car. My end goal is kind of like a sporty-looking muscle/family car to take the family out in.

hi

See my ad: 63 chrysler wagon parts for sale, many of which are common on all 1963 chryslers.
see some of the parts, but not all the parts, are shown in the pictures, don't know your location, parts are near Winston Salem, N.C.

Whoever said that a final drive ration would make the 361 2 barrel come alive is quite correct. I drove a 64 through the mid 60's sold it and bought a 61. The only difference was the axle ratio. 64 had a 2:76 61 had a 2:93 O- 60 for the 64 was around 11 seconds whereas the 61 was regularly below 10 seconds. I would imagine a 3:23 sure grip would lower these times considerably.

I want to know what the difference between the 305hp 361s and the later 361s was. I'm assuming it's the 4 barrel and cam

I want to know what the difference between the 305hp 361s and the later 361s was. I'm assuming it's the 4 barrel and cam
That, plus 10:1 compression ratio and a faster curve dual point distributor.

Back