Imperial Dash

KcImperial

Reaction score
Pulled the dash in one of my Imperials today. It makes me appreciate the evolution of Chrysler dash configurations. These Forwardlook cars don't have a bulkhead connector or even a fuse block. Pulling the entire dash like this is also the same procedure for replacing gauges, speedometer or even the parking brake lever.

My problem started with a simple shorted out wire in the engine compartment. It melted the harness all the way to the ignition switch. On the bright side - I'm lucky I noticed it happening and was able to disconnect the battery in time to prevent a fire.

dash.jpg

Here's a sample of what the wires looked like behind the dash
wires.jpg

dash.jpg

wires.jpg

I got the dash back in today and everything works! I forgot how noisy a mechanical clock can be. Another bonus was getting the neutral button starter hooked up again, no more button under the dash now! I still need to put in a few trim pieces and the bench seat but at least I got a driver again.

2014-06-07.jpg

2014-06-07.jpg

That's gotta be a relief, nice work!

I know how that feels!

That looks like a lot of work! And I'm a guy who isn't scared by dash work! Explain this neutral starter button thing. I don't know anything about push button cars.

It was intimidating to me. I don't mind dash work but re-wiring an entire car from headlights to taillights was more than I'm used to doing. These Imperials don't start with the key. Pushing in the neutral button pushes activates the starter. It was bypassed on this car by the previous owner. I'll make a video tomorrow to show how it works.

That looks like a lot of work! And I'm a guy who isn't scared by dash work! Explain this neutral starter button thing. I don't know anything about push button cars.
The ignition switch only has two positions: Off and On. The starter engages by pressing in the Neutral button

Last edited by a moderator:
I've let a lot of people drive this one. It's fun watching them try to figure out the push buttons, find the brake release, use turn signals, or even open the doors.

The best theft deterrent from punks is a manual transmission.

Back