Imperial Executive Suite

sixpkrt

Reaction score
Knowing the Imperial in 1967 & 1968 had the Mobile Director as an option, in 1966, the Mobile Executive option that was displayed at auto shows, but as far as I can tell, it never made it to production.
Some it's the features did carry over to 67 & 68 MD model years.
The Datafax transmitter with phone along with the t.v. set must have been a costly option, and would've added some significant weight to an already 5000 lb. car. The Datafax must of been one of the most technologically advanced products of its time. Only Chrysler would've thought of considering it an option for their top of the line platform cars.
I just was wondering if this Imperial show car was eventually destroyed by Chrysler, as other concept vehicles were at the time such as the Turbine car, or if wound up being saved either by Chrysler for their museum or fell into the hands of a private collector.

Imperial Executive Suite 1.jpg
Imperial Executive Suite 2.jpg

Imperial Executive Suite 3.png

I would love to find a "NOS Mobile Director Kit" For my '66 Crown Coupe ! Anyone got one ? LOL

I actually have a black and white glossy photo from Chrysler, stamped on the back, of the interior of a ‘64 with the mobile office.

I never really understood why they used 2 door cars for this, wouldn't a 4 door make far more sense, considering the official business application? 4-doors are generally seen as more 'formal' and utilitarian instead of sporty?

I think it's a strange concept in general, but I could see how this would be useful. Maybe in a military application at the higher levels.

You need the length of the door opening to rotate the bucket seat 180 degrees. The 4 doors also didn’t have the same buckets available as the coupes.

You need the length of the door opening to rotate the bucket seat 180 degrees. The 4 doors also didn’t have the same buckets available as the coupes.

yep - the "B" pillar kept the seat from being able to turn all the way around...…..

I had forgotten it came with a Datafax machine, no fax machine I ever worked with, or came with a secretary that good looking to operate it.......

It would seem that the original "Executive Suite" car would have turned up by now.......yet it hasn't...…... my theory is that maybe it was simply turned back into a normal Crown Coupe after making the show circuit, and sold off?

The brochure says: "It is painted in a special charcoal metallic with trim of silver gray". Does that mean, this colour combination was unique on this car?
If so, it could be easy to identify it, if the car came on the regular market in the 60's and still exist.

I never really understood why they used 2 door cars for this, wouldn't a 4 door make far more sense, considering the official business application? 4-doors are generally seen as more 'formal' and utilitarian instead of sporty?

I think it's a strange concept in general, but I could see how this would be useful. Maybe in a military application at the higher levels.

I agree. It was a silly concept from the start.

You would be hard pressed to find "executives" interested in climbing in and out of the back of a two door car.

I can guarantee that number of mobile director tables that served as a platform for children's games far outnumbered the ones that hosted high powered executive meetings.

Jeff

I agree. It was a silly concept from the start.

You would be hard pressed to find "executives" interested in climbing in and out of the back of a two door car.

I can guarantee that number of mobile director tables that served as a platform for children's games far outnumbered the ones that hosted high powered executive meetings.

Jeff

100% dumb idea.

I've actually seen design sketches showing this idea in the 60s. If they'd done that, there might have been some chance at success. Lots of cars have this now, including the PT Cruiser.

kkpxBGNRkPEsJks_B4JqKjx4Wgu9lxFD9DG7zJGFYVAyVXlBk9rVApStu2Kwt7Cy06VTnvaCdNYgk5GeMbPkSOgyuA8XkLHx.jpg

100% dumb idea.

I've actually seen design sketches showing this idea in the 60s. If they'd done that, there might have been some chance at success. Lots of cars have this now, including the PT Cruiser.

View attachment 477670
I believe that if you look at some of the '58-'60 T-bird convertible pictures, you might see that the rh front bucket seat back is folded flat for the rear passenbers to exit.

In the early 2000s, GM had a special seat back (optional on the then-refreshed 2004 Grand Prix and also available on 2003 Saturns) which would fold flat so the "active lifestyle" owner could place their laptop computer on it. That one had special hinges to do that. Plus, with the back seat and the rh frt seat back folded down, a 9' kayak would fit in the car, with the trunk closed. Just barely.

CBODY67

As mentioned, the 4-drs' B-pillar would be in the way for the rh front seat to pivot 180 degrees so that everybody could be face-to-face, except the driver. Seems that in the middle 1960s, there were some spy movies where the high-level exec took his secretary into a chauffer-driven car for business meetings/dictations, which were high level and PRIVATE. In a vehicle that nobody suspected, which would not have been bugged by "the others". The mobile phone (a rather large item back then) would have been needed to do the transmissions from the sending apparatus. So it all fit in. Might seem a bit goofy in modern times, but it was "high tone" back then.

In the high-level levels, sometimes you just have to get out of the office do transact business. "To the world", it would have looked like a chauffer driving his boss and his secretary out to a fancy restaurant for lunch. IF it'd been in a 4-dr vehicle, it would have been a tip-off that something was up, as the boss and the secretary would have both been in the back seat.

"Military" would not have had any 2drs in their fleets, just 4drs, I suspect. Military contractor or a double agent "on the take" would have had the 2drs. AND they would have known that a '64-'66 Imperial was the closest thing to "Built Like A TANK" that was not a tank.

Several side issues in the 2dr vs 4dr deal here.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Doubt it was ever "military". In the '80s and '90s, even the base commander drove a very plain, blue and white, min-optioned Buick Skylark, a Chrysler "K", or a Ford Taurus. Certainly in the '60s, he might have drove a base Chevy Biscayne or a Plymouth Fury I sedan. In the '70s, a base four-door Nova or perhaps a Coronet. NO Imperial, you can bet the farm on that one.

I actually have a black and white glossy photo from Chrysler, stamped on the back, of the interior of a ‘64 with the mobile office.
Matt, can you share this picture with us?

By the way, there were 1965 Crown 4 Door Hardtops produced with the "Aircraft" seats (with the rear seat in a matching sew style), but the B pillar is still an impediment to the rotating front passenger seat Director setup.

The entry for the rear passenger into a Crown Coupe is not unlike that of a limousine, with the seat set aft of the door opening. When taking this into account, you could think of the Mobile Director as sort of a short, dividerless limousine and it makes a little more sense. The overall concept does seem to fit better with a 4 door car though.

Chrysler could have developed the '64 - '66 Imperial four-door as a suicide rear door, ala Lincoln (same designer, right?) and done this the relatively "easy" way; but that would've simple been seen as a "copycat" styling exercise, I suppose. But, could you see a four-door Imperial in that build style? I think that would make a beautiful custom.

Last edited:
Chrysler could have developed the '64 - '66 Imperial four-door as a suicide rear door, ala Lincoln (same designer, right?) and done this the relatively "easy" way; but that would've simple been seen as a "copycat" styling exercise, I suppose. But, could you see a four-door Imperial in that build style? I think that would make a beautiful custom.
It would be a natural. The ill-fated Duesenberg Model D revival of 1966 actually did this. There’s an Imperial under its custom bodywork and it uses Imperial door handles (without the eagles) reversed.

Lambo door kit? It seemed to be pretty neat on that '66 Coronet 4dr they did it to. Why not a '64-'66 Imperial LeBaron for a one-off customized stock car?

That Dusenberg was one fine looking car! Plus the Monteverde, too!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Matt, can you share this picture with us?

By the way, there were 1965 Crown 4 Door Hardtops produced with the "Aircraft" seats (with the rear seat in a matching sew style), but the B pillar is still an impediment to the rotating front passenger seat Director setup.

The entry for the rear passenger into a Crown Coupe is not unlike that of a limousine, with the seat set aft of the door opening. When taking this into account, you could think of the Mobile Director as sort of a short, dividerless limousine and it makes a little more sense. The overall concept does seem to fit better with a 4 door car though.
I’ll get to it when I’m back in my shop on Friday.

For those of you who think up interesting what ifs about different body styles of our favorite cars as patrick66 suggests, you should look up the art of Steven Erler at Auto-Visuals.com. He has only done a couple of Imperial renderings, but there are a lot of others you will definitely enjoy.
I have quite a list of special bodied ‘64 and ‘69 Imperials in my head, but have never figured out how to do the tailgate on my virtual 1964 Imperial Crown Estate Wagon. Something about that propeller bumper.....
Some day, though, a 1969 Imperial LeBaron Convertible will actually exist if I live long enough.

Back