In search of a quality car cover

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
I am looking for a quality car cover for outdoor storage that will fit 72-73 Imperials.

I know there are some nice car covers out there, money is no issue for me. Finding something big enough is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

At the risk of being the wise *** that I am, "if money is no issue", build a garage. I've decided that storing the car outside with a cover is worse than not using a cover, but others won't have that opinion. Wear on the paint edges from wind with a loose cover and holding moisture against the car are my main problems.

That said, Covercraft makes a pretty good cover and most places, like California Car Covers just resell Covercraft covers. Give them a call and get their suggestion.

Myself, I use their flannel lined covers and a loose throw away plastic cover over them for my inside storage. One car gets stored in the winter under the other on the lift and the plastic is nice if any oil drips on it. Keeps the dirt and dust off the nice covers too.

Don’t paint it with that broad a brush. I may be moving to the south soon. I would not think a garage is a wise investment at that point. I just need something temporary to keep snow and rain out of the trunk since the lip around the window plug rusted.

Don’t paint it with that broad a brush. I may be moving to the south soon. I would not think a garage is a wise investment at that point. I just need something temporary to keep snow and rain out of the trunk since the lip around the window plug rusted.
You need to keep in mind that car covers are a compromise by design. They need to breathe to keep condensation to a minimum so they really aren't waterproof.

If you look at the covers, https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/covercraftercovercrafter , their weather shield might be your best choice.

I've bought at least a dozen fitted nice covers and a couple cheap generic covers over the years. As they get more layers, they get hard to use on a regular basis and hard to store when you aren't using them.

Car covers seemed to be a good solution to atmosperic gunk in the earlier 1970s, when I first started paying attention to car cover ads. But as mentioned, they do need to breathe, even the thicker ones so that condensate/moisture can escape/evaporate through the fabric. Moisture needs to go both ways, in (to a lesser extent) and out (to a greater extent) for best results. Paint erosion from a fluttering-in-the-wind might not be a critical issue for your vehicle, but it can with others.

Many covers have a drawstring around the bottom and even some have a hole for a lock cable to fit through down there, too. Might also need some inexpensive ratchet straps over the hood and deck lid areas, too, with the hooks placed gently to the sheet metal, for best results.

As for your rear window plug area, might be best to get some thicker clear/opaque plastic sheeting and tape some of that to the body, over the rear window area. To deflect and water-seal that area, for best anti-water-intrusion efforts.

On some car cover websites, they have sizes of vehicles mentioned. 1 to 5, usually. Even some references to wheelbase and length, too. I suspect your Imperial would be the biggest size available!

NOW, some other things to consider! Animals who might use their claws to play with the cover fabric and climb onto the vehicle itself. Or some smaller critters who might get under the cover for shelter. Damage? For the cats, their claws will shred the cover in short order. For the smaller critters, no telling what they might do as they seek shelter.

Back in the 1990s, a lady came in one day seeking a car cover for her new Suburban. I gently inquired "Why?". Seems her cats were sleeping on the vehicle at night and her husband did not like that, being concerned about paint erosion and claw scratches. Knowing how the cats we had did things, I advised that a cover would not keep them off the vehicle's top. PLUS the effort it would take to remove the cover each time she left the house, where it would be stored in the vehicle, and having to put it on each night. A lot of labor for a large and taller vehicle! She was about 5'5" tall. She had not considered those things, unfortunately. "A car cover" was her obvious answer to the issue, until I mentioned the many side issues to a car cover for such a large and tall vehicle. Fortunately, GM Accessories did not have a car cover for Suburbans back then, so she had to look elsewhere OR consider a different course of action.

I tend to agree with @Big_John, a rented garage might be a better solution. But many of those are now going for $200.00/month and up. "Car does not run"? A roll-back wrecker and an operator who knows how to use it, plus some "roller skates" to help position it in the rented space (about $200.00/pair, depending upon the type and such). That "lock it up" space also keeps the car protected from possible code enforcement issues, too, especially of the tires might go flat during the non-use periods.

MANY side issues to using a car cover, from what I have seen. YOUR determination, though.

Building a quality garage, even if it might be used for a few months, should increase the value of your property, if it's done right. Might not be such a bad investment?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

This is better than a car cover and cheaper than building a shed, pack it up and take it with you.
1667878711648.png

I own a Covercraft cover for my Vette and it is well made, but I use it in the garage. i priced one for the Chrysler, came in at about $600, the 300 is also in the garage..so I passed. The shelter that crv shows with his red Chevy looks great, i wish I could use that, but the winds here are very strong in the winter being so close to the ocean.

I own a Covercraft cover for my Vette and it is well made, but I use it in the garage. i priced one for the Chrysler, came in at about $600, the 300 is also in the garage..so I passed. The shelter that crv shows with his red Chevy looks great, i wish I could use that, but the winds here are very strong in the winter being so close to the ocean.
with his red Chevy
Just a random pic, not my truck.

Ditto from me on the Covercraft, which California Car Cover re-sells. After inheriting my father's Buick Park Avenue, I got an outdoor Covercraft cover for it, mainly to protect the paint from the sun it is in alll day in the driveway, as I have been happy with the Dustop cover I keep my New Yorker under in the garage. When covers are made for your specific car, they stay on better, and the extra $20 (or something like that) for the mirrors was money well spent for doing so when windy.

I went through California Car Cover, and got a lot more info. calling them than just using the website.

I'd use a car cover only if I have an enclosed storage available; basically, to keep bird and insect detritus off the car, as well as dirt and dust protection. Outdoors is where covers show their weaknesses. Not a fan of car covers, but I'd definitely use a covered parking storage as shown in Post #9 above.

I looked at covercraft and did not see anything for an Imperial. I will have to call them this weekend.
Yea, call is best.

FWIW, they do have a fuselage Chrysler cover, and I would bet that fits... But calling them is the best bet.

I made the mistake of using a cover on a Camaro I had parked outside. I don't remember the brand, but it was a quality multi-layered one.
Flapping in the wind scarred up the paint, helped along by the fine silt that worked its way through the breathable cover. They are not waterproof, only water resistant.
Hard to install/remove single handed.
It won't keep water from accumulating in your trunk. Water does get through.
Get some of the self adhesive plastic body shops use for covering broken windows during storage outside. I'm not sure what it is called, but it's heavier plastic with an adhesive back.

Back