Input about radiators needed

Castle

Reaction score
Looking for opinions.... Does anyone know any reason why a radiator for a 68 that is for a car with A/C, shouldn’t be used in a 68 without A/C.... as long as it’s the same size, 22” for instance?

In our experience, Mopars with AC in that era had 26" radiators. However, from a standpoint of fitting, it should mount to the firewall just fine and you should be able to use the fan shroud as well.

The 26" radiator was installed with the "towing pkg" on C bodies. They may have installed it if you ordered AC, but I'm not sure? A 26" will work without cutting the support and drilling 1 hole for installation. Good Luck

The radiator supports are different between 22" and 26" cars. Part od the 26" rad is blocked my the 22" You will have to drill holes in the 22" rad support to mount a 26" rad - lots of people do it.

Looking for opinions.... Does anyone know any reason why a radiator for a 68 that is for a car with A/C, shouldn’t be used in a 68 without A/C.... as long as it’s the same size, 22” for instance?
Unless you’re going for OEM original my rule of thumb for over 30 years is use the biggest you can reasonably jam in there. Never had an issue and I have gone cross species at times. 68 390 mustang rad in a 66 dart w 360 circle track motor. The only issue you’ll ever slam up against doing this mix and match is delta T due to core thickness.

The radiator supports are different between 22" and 26" cars. Part od the 26" rad is blocked my the 22" You will have to drill holes in the 22" rad support to mount a 26" rad - lots of people do it.

Been there, done that, and seen it both ways, cut & uncut. Yes, it all works.

Back