installing roof rail seal

swisherred

Reaction score
I ordered a new set of roof rail seals for my 67 newport fast top. I was wondering what is the adhesive that is used when installing them and the chrome rail it sits in.

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is probably a good choice. I think I used "Automotive Gloozit" for mine. The description on the package lists similar applications and I already had a tube of it.

In theory, the rubber should "roll" into the receptacle, "dry". Which is how it was probably done on the assembly line. Many felt that a better seal could be had with the old 3M "yellow" adhesive, but I don't know that it really did anything other than give better "peace of mind".

In modern times, I think a thin bead of black engine-grade silicone sealer might do just as well PLUS allow for easier removal later on, if needed. Might be best to put it in "dry" to make sure it all fits right, with the sealer coming later, if needed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

In theory, the rubber should "roll" into the receptacle, "dry". Which is how it was probably done on the assembly line. Many felt that a better seal could be had with the old 3M "yellow" adhesive, but I don't know that it really did anything other than give better "peace of mind".

In modern times, I think a thin bead of black engine-grade silicone sealer might do just as well PLUS allow for easier removal later on, if needed. Might be best to put it in "dry" to make sure it all fits right, with the sealer coming later, if needed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
most of it was dry when I removed one recently from the upper channel....but there is black sealant between the channel and the body and also between the rubber and the A pillar...

In ‘68 the manual calls for the adhesive where it transitions around the front corner (a-pillar to roof transition).
I think I may have forgotten to do that with no issues so far.

Between the channel and the body, there probably WAS some sort of sealer or something. GM used a thick cell black foam on the back of many of their channels in the '70s and such. Whatever is on the backside of the channel would need to be consistent across all of the body that it touched, I suspect. Seems like the GM foam was about 1/8" thick, or less?

CBODY67

I know I have to remove the channel in order to install the headliner too....thats why i ask about that part. I dont want to install the gasket until the headliner is installed.

Between the channel and the body, there probably WAS some sort of sealer or something. GM used a thick cell black foam on the back of many of their channels in the '70s and such. Whatever is on the backside of the channel would need to be consistent across all of the body that it touched, I suspect. Seems like the GM foam was about 1/8" thick, or less?

CBODY67
When I removed the one side it was almost like a tar glue...sort of like around the windshield...black..sticky..not a foam or tape. liquid butyl maybe?

Between the roof and the roof rail stainless is / was a adhesive foam weatherstrip. I think I got the replacement from DMT with all my other paint and body seals. And the gooey rubber stuff in the channel around the corner for the seal itself.

Back