Instrument Cluster Bezel Plastic Type

MONC440

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what type of plastic is used to make a 1970 Mopar cluster bezel. I would assume ABS but you know what happens when you ***-u-me. Can't find any marking in the plastic like on modern parts.

Thanks

I seem to remember reading (or being told) that they used polystyrene for the clusters back then and transitioned to ABS in late seventies and early eighties. GM might have started using ABS earlier than the other companies too.

When I toured GM's local Fischer Body plant back around 1970, it seems to me that they said they were starting to use a more flexible ABS for some of the interior parts, like door panels.

That's all fuzzy memories though and nothing to take even slightly as correct.

I seem to remember reading (or being told) that they used polystyrene for the clusters back then and transitioned to ABS in late seventies and early eighties. GM might have started using ABS earlier than the other companies too.

When I toured GM's local Fischer Body plant back around 1970, it seems to me that they said they were starting to use a more flexible ABS for some of the interior parts, like door panels.

That's all fuzzy memories though and nothing to take even slightly as correct.

I think you are correct I did a burn test and it shows the characteristics of Polystyrene. Burns fast, keeps burning on its own when flame is removed, yellow flame, and black sooty smoke. I think ABS has a blue flame and burns slow. I just did a burn test on ABS and it is a blue flame and it will quit burning after the flame is removed.

Last edited:
I think you are correct I did a burn test and it shows the characteristics of Polystyrene. Burns fast, keeps burning on its own when flame is removed, yellow flame, and black sooty smoke. I think ABS has a blue flame and burns slow. I just did a burn test on ABS and it is a blue flame and it will quit burning after the flame is removed.
Someone’s a Fire Bug.. lol

Can someone tell me what type of plastic is used to make a 1970 Mopar cluster bezel. I would assume ABS but you know what happens when you ***-u-me. Can't find any marking in the plastic like on modern parts.

Thanks
May I ask what your looking to do? I had my dash restored a few month back by a company that could probably help you. Just curious..

May I ask what your looking to do? I had my dash restored a few month back by a company that could probably help you. Just curious..
Making a custom dash and need to know what plastic sheet to order to make sure they can be bonded properly.

Back