Instrument panel gauge needle paint and weather strip

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am refreshing my instrument panel(68 Polara) All the gauges are in working order. The white printing is very clear and not faded, but the orange needles are faded to yellow towards the bottom. Any paint suggestions? It looks like a fluorescent type would show up with low light. I did find some enamel craft paint that with a little mixing might come close, but wondering if there is specific paint out there. Also looking for a source for stick on open cell weather stripping that could cut some patterns from.
BD0FA8CE-65F1-4881-BB43-92D2BC59C622.jpeg

B98D7660-972C-447F-9BD2-BADC949D34E5.jpeg

2A5BDEF6-3E9F-49D5-8135-31E85841068E.jpeg

I am going to experiment tomorrow wit the fluorescent acrylics I got. The fluorescent orange is too yellow but the fluorescent red looks pretty close and I have a little tangerine to mute if needed. I just need to experiment.
I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a special paint. If it doesn’t look right I may order the stuff above.

I am going to experiment tomorrow wit the fluorescent acrylics I got. The fluorescent orange is too yellow but the fluorescent red looks pretty close and I have a little tangerine to mute if needed. I just need to experiment.
I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a special paint. If it doesn’t look right I may order the stuff above.

I think you are on the right thought of the mixture. Mix some up and let it dry out, to get the true color. The great part is if you aren't happy you can order the paint. I think you can hit it with what you have.

I have been very happy with color retention on my hood ornament using Testors paint.

I also used the Testors paint on my gas gauge needle. I guess I haven't checked to see how it looks at night. But in day time it's a near perfect match.

I went with the Testors red flouresent straight up.

It looks like the perfect tone. Maybe a little brighter but the original is 50 years old.
Original in front. Painted in back.
DEDF6237-D880-478B-9F2D-4F9CDB134C28.jpeg

Back