Intake leak

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
With some help from you guys, I was able to fire up my 440 today after dropping it back into my 70 300.
With it idling I immediately noticed I have an exhaust leak around the choke we’ll cover.
Can anyone recommend a product I can use to seal it up correctly?
I’m guessing a high temp permeate. Would work?

You need to remove the pot from the intake. I has a gasket that has probably failed.

Dave

For sure, the reading I’ve done it sounds like the gaskets are hard to find and expensive; high temp silicone is recommended but I’d rather know that from someone that has used a product, and it has worked well for them.

Some asbestos, cut to shape, can probably work? Or a thin bead of J-B Weld? High-heat red silicone used to be acceptable to some dirt track racers for header gaskets, as I recall.

If you are running an electric choke,pull the intake and plug the heat crossover passages and replace intake gasket.
Done.

Orange hi temp silicone will seal it. Unless the gasket is really falling apart. Then get a new one.

I don’t recommend Plugging the heat crossover on A stock-ish engine. Will run bad in cold weather. Need the heat for fuel atomization

Back