Intake Manifold Options

JGC403

Reaction score
I am building a stroked 440 for a 1965 New Yorker. I'm trying to figure out what intake manifolds will fit under the stock hood with a factory type dual snorkel air cleaner setup? Would a Eddy Performer RPM be too tall? Other options dual plane or single plane? Thanks,

I am building a stroked 440 for a 1965 New Yorker. I'm trying to figure out what intake manifolds will fit under the stock hood with a factory type dual snorkel air cleaner setup? Would a Eddy Performer RPM be too tall? Other options dual plane or single plane? Thanks,
The CH4B may also work as well but is probably too restrictive for your application.

I own a 69 Fury III and will have a 505 stroked 440 soon. I too want to use my dual snorkel air cleaner. It has Stealth heads and will be all painted Turquoise to look stock. I considered the Eddy RPM but nixed it because after measurements it would be too close never mind the new engine mounts added to the equation to use the dual snorkel air cleaner. I simply got a big loose wad of aluminum foil ball and put it on my air cleaner and shut the hood to see where it stood. In the Eddy RPM page it states the RPM stands 1.75 inches higher than stock manifold. The regular performer is lower but not considered nearly as good as the RPM. So between here and FBBO and my engine designer who is also at FBBO [Porter Racing Heads] speaking about it I decided on the Holley Street Dominator. It is a single plane and sits low. All involved said the RPM was their first choice but because of the problems of height the Dominator would work well. All said being single plane would hurt low end torque theoretically but they doubted if there would be anything significant with a big stroker. But it would flow well at higher rpms in the same class as the Performer RPM. The engine has not been installed yet and in case it is still not low enough there is another backup. @FURYGT [amongst others here] has been very helpful mentioned Mancini makes a drop plate that will work on the dual snorkel type air cleaners in witch the snorkels are part of the top which yours should be. It makes the bottom of the dual snorkel open.

mancini-racing-low-pro-air-cleaner-baseplate-16.gif
CLICK TO ENLARGE

mancini-racing-low-pro-air-cleaner-baseplate-19.gif

mancini-racing-low-pro-air-cleaner-baseplate-20.gif

mancini-racing-low-pro-air-cleaner-baseplate-21.gif

Mancini Racing "Low Pro" Air Cleaner Baseplate
Item #: MRE28150

Write a Review
Price: $31.95

As far as I know from my reading the Street Dominator has all the same accessory mounting points as stock unlike the Eddy ,but I may be incorrect in this. I did remove the god awful "Holley Dominator!!" logo on the intake to make it look stock like when painted. Not saying do any of this but this is what I came up with ,with the help of much more experienced folks here and FBBO. Here is a pic of before and after intake logo web removal.
Good luck and keep us posted.

20191210_185521 (1).jpg

20200215_092247.jpg

The single-plane will bleed off a bit of lower-rpm torque, if for no other reason than the shorter runners compared to a dual-plane. Which might well make drag strip traction a bit easier at the starting line?

The CH4B was what Chrysler recommended (and had a factory part number on to make it street legal in NHRA racing, in 1968). It was a part of their "package" of the 3310 Holley, Street Hemi 284/284 cam, and CH4B intake for the 440. But if you can find a good one, it'll be a bit pricey, I suspect. I always figured the newer Performer (not "RPM") was an improved version of the DP4B (low-deck) and CH4B (raised-deck) engines?

From what I've seen, the lowest-drop open air cleaner base plate was on the Corvette-spec open element air cleaners. A full 1" lower than the less-expensive look-a-likes everyone is used to seeing. It is contoured to fit over a 3310 Holley, in all respects. The referenced Mancini item looks like the aftermarket 13" open-element cleaner base, but is painted black. Which then makes the air cleaner top VERY close to the top of the carb's intake area. FWIW

So WHERE do you want your intake restriction to be? In the intake manifold or in the air cleaner itself? Ideally, "neither", but that might not always be possible.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

single plan will suck unless u have a hi stall convertor and 4.00 gears

Depends on the single plane and the displacement. The Holley is a small single plane. We will see and will report my findings this spring.
A tall big single plane would suck for the street I am sure. We will see.

single plan will suck unless u have a hi stall convertor and 4.00 gears

I don't think a single plane will make much of a difference on an engine that is 493 ci. It might shift the torque curve up a little, but it will have so much low end torque to begin with.

I don't think a single plane will make much of a difference on an engine that is 493 ci. It might shift the torque curve up a little, but it will have so much low end torque to begin with.

That was my finding on here and with the FBBO boys as well as my engine designer with using this manifold. I did have a custom torque converter made by the same outfit as MEV's with his 66 Newyorker 4 door with a stroker 440. They wanted weight ,rear ratio ,engine displacement and a good look at my cam card.

Looks like the Eddy Torker II (4.670") is a little shorter than the Holley Strip Dominator (5.190"). Any reason to pick one over the other?

That was my finding on here and with the FBBO boys as well as my engine designer with using this manifold. I did have a custom torque converter made by the same outfit as MEV's with his 66 Newyorker 4 door with a stroker 440. They wanted weight ,rear ratio ,engine displacement and a good look at my cam card.

What rear gear are you running?

I believe [my decision was over a year ago] Is that the the Holley would fit from measurements I did at the time and many really liked the Holley. The Torker was also mentioned too as a possibility but I was never clued in it was actually lower than the Holley. But in any case many over at FBBO really liked the manifold including the engine designer so I just went with it at their recommendation for low profile and good flow.
Worst case scenario I will swap in a Torker if I need to but I think I will be ok.
Rear ratio is 3.23. The whole concept was inspired by Furygt and MEV.
MEV also runs a 3.23 in his 4700 lbs Newyorker with HP exhaust manifolds into the 12's with a stoker and cruises at 75 to the track 40 miles each way. So that is what I am shooting for. Nothing crazy ,just a powerful cruiser. Mine is a 69 Fury III 2 door.

Last edited:
I own a 69 Fury III and will have a 505 stroked 440 soon. I too want to use my dual snorkel air cleaner. It has Stealth heads and will be all painted Turquoise to look stock. I considered the Eddy RPM but nixed it because after measurements it would be too close never mind the new engine mounts added to the equation to use the dual snorkel air cleaner. I simply got a big loose wad of aluminum foil ball and put it on my air cleaner and shut the hood to see where it stood. In the Eddy RPM page it states the RPM stands 1.75 inches higher than stock manifold. The regular performer is lower but not considered nearly as good as the RPM. So between here and FBBO and my engine designer who is also at FBBO [Porter Racing Heads] speaking about it I decided on the Holley Street Dominator. It is a single plane and sits low. All involved said the RPM was their first choice but because of the problems of height the Dominator would work well. All said being single plane would hurt low end torque theoretically but they doubted if there would be anything significant with a big stroker. But it would flow well at higher rpms in the same class as the Performer RPM. The engine has not been installed yet and in case it is still not low enough there is another backup. @FURYGT [amongst others here] has been very helpful mentioned Mancini makes a drop plate that will work on the dual snorkel type air cleaners in witch the snorkels are part of the top which yours should be. It makes the bottom of the dual snorkel open.

View attachment 433737
CLICK TO ENLARGE
View attachment 433738
View attachment 433739
View attachment 433740
Mancini Racing "Low Pro" Air Cleaner Baseplate
Item #: MRE28150

Write a Review
Price: $31.95

As far as I know from my reading the Street Dominator has all the same accessory mounting points as stock unlike the Eddy ,but I may be incorrect in this. I did remove the god awful "Holley Dominator!!" logo on the intake to make it look stock like when painted. Not saying do any of this but this is what I came up with ,with the help of much more experienced folks here and FBBO. Here is a pic of before and after intake logo web removal.
Good luck and keep us posted.

View attachment 433724

View attachment 433727

Looks way better without that ugly Holley advertisement in front, how do we get rid of the hideous crap at the rear?

Looks like the Eddy Torker II (4.670") is a little shorter than the Holley Strip Dominator (5.190"). Any reason to pick one over the other?

What rear gear are you running?

I have a Torker II and will probably use it at some point on a B body I Have that should clear my hood. Good manifold, along with the street dominator based on some testing done at hot rod magazine on RB Mopars .

Looks way better without that ugly Holley advertisement in front, how do we get rid of the hideous crap at the rear?

To get rid of the crap at the rear it will have a big ole Mopar Super Commando dual snorkel air cleaner covering it.
It does look better without the Holley Advertisement for sure. I got the idea on FBBO.

To get rid of the crap at the rear it will have a big ole Mopar Super Commando dual snorkel air cleaner covering it.
It does look better without the Holley Advertisement for sure. I got the idea on FBBO.

Agreed, me too but I’ll know the ugliness is there every time I take off the cleaner.

Regarding the advertisement I got the idea the first time I looked at it! LOL

Glad you did it too ! Way better looking afterwards.

Well if it bothers me I could change it but my purpose for the engine is not to have to see that area often. I want to drive it anywhere at any time where ever I want with little to no needless adjustments. I made that clear to Mr Porter. But thanks for putting that stink in the back of my brain lol.

No kidding ,to put in what? And why? At least the heli pad is in the rear.

Back