interesting discovery..........

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I was working on the underhood and front detailing project of Jezabelle this morning and When I unbolted the front bumper brackets at the frame I found the reminants of two more broadcast sheets...! One on the right and one on the left. Not much to salvage but cool non the less.

I was also able to see the engine and trans VIN number stamping and both match the cars VIN.
I was suprised the trans matched because I have an invoice for a transmission "exchange" from 1988 in my paperwork. "Goodeal discount transmission" Yeah...right. Lets replace the filter and fluid.... charge for a new trans....
:busted:

broadcast sheet right frame (Large).jpg

Broadcast sheet left frame (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Wow, kool beans!

Broadcast sheet location.

Thats a strange place to put a broadcast sheet, isnt it? cool find though.

I found one in this location on the passenger side of a 68 Newport sportgrain once.

It makes sense from a production/assembly line point of view. The sheets were attached to the frame rail early in the assembly process because that was the first thing the line worker would see as it approched. These were probably the main guidline in the chassie and power train assembly. The sheets found in the interior were likely used later in the build to determine body and trim componants.

Or not....!

I found one in this location on the passenger side of a 68 Newport sportgrain once.

It makes sense from a production/assembly line point of view. The sheets were attached to the frame rail early in the assembly process because that was the first thing the line worker would see as it approched. These were probably the main guidline in the chassie and power train assembly. The sheets found in the interior were likely used later in the build to determine body and trim componants.

Or not....!
That makes sense.

While sanding my Polara for new paint I removed the driver's side marker light and there was a small piece of paper over one of the screw holes. It was a piece of a broadcast sheet about the size of an older larger airmail stamp. That would be a piece of a third as each seat had a sheet under it.

Obviously they used them in assembly, its just an odd place to find a production sheet. IN the 30+ years of following Mopars I have never heard of one in this location...........til now.

I've seen a sheet there once before, just can't remember which car. Probably the most interesting thing I have ever found pertaining to broadcasts was a 71 Fury 3 4dr that I parted in the early 90s. I pulled the complete flawless interior to put in another car, and found broadcast sheets EVERYWHERE! One under front seat, one under rear seat, one behind back of rear seat, one under carpet, one above headliner, one taped to back of glovebox, and remains of one under trunk mat. Two of these sheets had the words "Corrected Copy" typed in red ink in the bottom margin. I have chuckled to myself ever since, with the E body guys doing megabuck restorations based on the only broadcast they found. You have to wonder if their car had a "corrected copy" that was lost later, lol.

It makes you wonder about cars that were built on Monday's or Friday's.

remind me not to take my car to Goodeal Discount Transmission shop for any work!

My previous NYB was definitely a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon car.
The entire car had double the layers of insulation/ soundproofing/etc than it should have had.
TWO layers (and some parts, too!!!!) of everything. Plus double the amount of seam sealer I have seen on any other Formal.
That means the car immediately in front of it or immediately behind it on the line got screwed.

I parted a 69 300 few years ago and it had sheets on both sides under the bumper brackets too. I thought it kind of odd at the time. Neat that someone else discovered them in the same place.

My previous NYB was definitely a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon car.
The entire car had double the layers of insulation/ soundproofing/etc than it should have had.
TWO layers (and some parts, too!!!!) of everything. Plus double the amount of seam sealer I have seen on any other Formal.
That means the car immediately in front of it or immediately behind it on the line got screwed.

None of that stuff was automated back then, so the car behind didn't necessarily get screwed. More likely, your double-up car was probably built for a guy who worked at the plant so he got a extra-helping of good stuff.

My Polara had the same thing but I was not able toe save any of it as it crumbled in my hands as I removed it

How many miles were racked up on the 300 since this thread started, Will ? ;)

How many miles were racked up on the 300 since this thread started, Will ? ;)

Odometer read 102K then........ 118K plus now. About 4500K pulling the pop up camper.
But I've done road trips in the 64 Crew cab, the 65 Coronet and the Admiral also.

Back