interesting story on Tesla's possible fate and the electric car in general.....

sauterd

Reaction score
Interesting to note that in the interview nothing was said about electric cars not having a future, just Tesla, and as he says, "Musk is a nice guy, he just doesn't know how to manufacture cars."

That article is totally one sided, the guy is only referencing remarks from a former GM VP. It's all opinion only, there's no real argument made here.

It is my opinion that at some point in the future Tesla will be "acquired" by one of the large car companies who do not want to invest their own resources in this sector and will be able to better develop the product using economies of scale to further advance the technology to the masses affordably.

I'm kind of curious to see how things shake out in their power sector with energy storage for homes and their solar shingle roof replacements. A lot of the large synchronous generators (coal, gas, etc) around the US are chasing wind power. There was big talk of Tesla redefining the industry if they could actually pull off the battery technology required for the current infrastructure. I'm still not sure, there's a lot they talk about doing that seems to be kind of smoke and mirrors.

Personally I can see a hybrid power plant being somewhat useful today.

Still skeptical about the real economic benefit of a plug in car.

Is Chrysler/Ram going to have the E-torque option on the 3.6L?

I think it's only available on the 5.7L now.

Studebaker existed in a wholly different world and environment than the one we do today.

True. And at one time they were the longest lived US auto maker.

I think Ford and GM have passed that record by now.

Still, we will see where Tesla is in 50 years.

It's only 2019 models.

Correct Peter the only way the 2019 Ram 1500 with the 3.6L Pentastar comes is with E-Torque. I am not sure the extra weight of the E-Torque and battery are worth the gains though. More stuff to fix later I guess

Glad my memory isn't failing me completely.

Isn't that the end game anyways?

A good Service Department will always out perform a good Sales Department....or that's the way it is supposed to be. Every store I have been in it was the other way around...:rolleyes:

Yeah hybrids, that's the answer.
Make a vehicle heavier and more complicated so it has no useful second life. Like buying a used cell phone, the components to refurbish are more than the new unit. Now you have a crap battery in a 8-10 year old **** box with a too small gas engine wasting gas dragging that heavy *** battery around.
Everyone of those cars is a environmental disaster.
Thanks to our friends at VW the US will take 10-15 years to allow diesel cars again, the only real fuel mileage alternative to hybrids ( no battery and scraps just like a normal car ), also small diesel engines are really the only ones that can take the heat of being converted to run on natural gas.

There are a lot of opinions as to whether Tesla will succeed financially or not, but for sure, they have made an electric vehicle something to strive for in the upper class of vehicles - the wealthy are still swarming to the model S here in Southern California. And the major European manufacturers are hot on their heels to make a worthy competitor, but have been delayed by several years in order to try to catch up.

I have worked in the past directly with Monroe and Associates on a project that I was leading before I retired from the automotive field, and they are the best at what they do - competitive vehicle teardown and analysis with costing. Every major vehicle manufacturer in the world buys the results of their very detailed analyses of the teardowns of the most advanced vehicles available.

Rather than just voicing individual opinions when really little is known to support one, why not look at this following 5 minute video and get educated to the real facts beforehand, as it helps the discussion be more meaningful.

Monroe and Associates are not often taken by surprise........................

Back