Introducing a 1970 300 TNT convertible

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
When installing the center dash duct be sure the contact cement has thoroughly dried. To help position the duct on the air discharge bezel, use a long thin screwdriver plain blade inserted through the front to help the clips engage.

DSC04489.JPG

DSC04488.JPG

ayilar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The TNT has received a lot of TLC from @david hill -- including, but not limited to, a new correct rim blow wheel has been installed (super thanks to a member who agreed to sell me a very nice used one he had, with un-cracked rim; Edit: and kudos to David for making sure that the horn works, by replacing a relay — the previous owner had disconnected switches apparently, possibly to avoid draining the battery), engine-bay splash shields (repops from DMT), repair of the console base (repop from Van's), reinstallation of the dash (with the refurbished original dimmer switch, courtesy of @Devinism ), and fixing various interior lights. Here are some night pics of the inside.

1651578182782.jpeg

1651578209846.jpeg

1651578228877.jpeg

Last edited:

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The TNT has received a lot of TLC from @david hill -- including, but not limited to, a new correct rim blow wheel has been installed (super thanks to a member who agreed to sell me a very nice used one he had, with un-cracked rim), engine-bay splash shields (repops from DMT), repair of the console base (repop from Van's), reinstallation of the dash (with the refurbished original dimmer switch, courtesy of @Devinism ), and fixing various interior lights. Here are some night pics of the inside.

View attachment 529087
View attachment 529088
View attachment 529089

I like the leds used to illuminate the cluster area - that area being way too dim with the factory lights is a big turn off to driving the 69/70 models at night. At least the 71 models were much better with the standard setup to begin with. Once again David makes big improvements. Nicely done work.

fury fan

Reaction score
Don't want to hijack, but wanted to add:
For the C-bodies that use 'floodlight' dash lighting, some LEDs + ingenuity toward mounting them go a long way.
With the variety of LED styles available, inexpensive PWM dimmers, and RGB LEDs with full adjustment of the outlet color (can even adjust from your smartphone app), there are lots of possibilities for upgrading dashboard lighting. Based on the datestamp, I put these in back in 2003 and are really due for an update. A little too bright and a lot too greeeeeen.

1651601838744.png

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack, but wanted to add:
For the C-bodies that use 'floodlight' dash lighting, some LEDs + ingenuity toward mounting them go a long way.
With the variety of LED styles available, inexpensive PWM dimmers, and RGB LEDs with full adjustment of the outlet color (can even adjust from your smartphone app), there are lots of possibilities for upgrading dashboard lighting. Based on the datestamp, I put these in back in 2003 and are really due for an update. A little too bright and a lot too greeeeeen.

View attachment 529153
Super Brite Leds was my choice for led bulbs. Send me your bulb model number and I'll find out what's available from them.

fury fan

Reaction score
Don't know the number, but were little bayonet-type bulbs.
But I removed all the 'cans' and used some strip-lighting.
I'll probably find some newer configuration of surface-mount LEDs with adjustable color.
Might CNC some crude prisms to go in the rectangular slots, depends on how nuts I want to get.

1651665994583.png

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Part of refurbishing the interior lights was disassemble and clean the light housing in the rear console. The light it output was pretty poor. What I found was someone had used fiberglass resin to glue the lens to the bezel. The base was held together w/ fiberglass matt and lots of resin. First order of business was to separate the light reflector and lens from the bezel. Next was to grind off the resin off the lens and polish it back to a clear useable lens. Found the missing lens tab and epoxied it back on. Cleaning and painting the reflector was last. See photos below.

DSC04495.JPG

DSC04496.JPG

DSC04497.JPG

DSC04498.JPG

DSC04500.JPG

ayilar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's now a rolling piece of art - the styling on those in my view is unmatched and now it even runs very well. It is always a strong plus when you know that the car has been gone through in detail by an expert to ensure it will be reliable. Congratulations!

tallhair

Rufus "Mod Hair" Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score