is 800+ hp street-able? Turbo 440?

I have cars of both types (well, not a 500hp stroker, but a 440 tnt 4-speed anyway) and they're both fun! Instantaneous torque is great, but so is the rush of an engine that just pulls harder and harder as you wind it out. I'm not sure which would be less dangerous in a 2 ton cruiser, though I'd think the torque monster would be safer. With a torque monster you run the risk of loosing traction and control on launch or shifts. But with a turbo, you can loose traction once you're already moving when you hit full boost. Also a turbo encourages you to go faster because you will always want to wind it out to get that adrenaline hit :D

I have to disagree with you on the torque monster being safer. As a former owner of the flying whale and the owner of a '68 Sport fury with a pump gas 520" stroker and a 3.73 rear gear I agree with you that you will loose traction on shifts. Slam your foot to the floor while driving and you are going to find yourself sideways before you know it. Same result is likely with a turbo. BTW, my stroker pulls like a freight train all the way up to red line. The bottom line is with any high HP engine you need to have RESPECT for the power that they have and be aware of what you don't do on the street. I recommend a day at the drag strip to explore what your high HP will due under certain conditions for safety reasons.

No response...

Doesn't surprise me.
Interestingly enough I saw Richard Holdener on a live Uncle Tony's Garage last night. Didn't watch the whole thing but he did say all he is after on his dyno experiments is WOT. He is not concerned with part throttle ,transitions, drivability or any of that. He does all his experiments on junkyard engines so he doesn't care if they blow up. It's not cued at any important spot ,i could cue it up from the beginning is all. It's too long and alot of it is them stroking each other lol.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you on the torque monster being safer. As a former owner of the flying whale and the owner of a '68 Sport fury with a pump gas 520" stroker and a 3.73 rear gear I agree with you that you will loose traction on shifts. Slam your foot to the floor while driving and you are going to find yourself sideways before you know it. Same result is likely with a turbo. BTW, my stroker pulls like a freight train all the way up to red line. The bottom line is with any high HP engine you need to have RESPECT for the power that they have and be aware of what you don't do on the street. I recommend a day at the drag strip to explore what your high HP will due under certain conditions for safety reasons.
Agreed, my 4767 lb newyorker with 3.23 gears and a 505 stroker is VIOLENT and since the rotating assembly is significantly lighter than the stock 440, it zings to redline IMMEDIATELY. I have surprised myself many many MANY times jacking around on the street, and i have caltracs and a detroit locker.

Last edited:
Well thanks to you two guys influence on me with both your cars I will have my stroker in my car in April. I also opted for the lightened crank etc on my build. I am really looking forward to it.

Mev, I've got a 66..same color..same interior. I just watched your video and then went out to my shop and propped my phone up on the dash and watched it again and again..

I agree that you must know your vehicles performance characteristics.
I would recommend that you discover them not at the drag strip, but on a road course. Going in a straight line exposes only a very limited amount of how your vehicle will react and perform.

Mev, I've got a 66..same color..same interior. I just watched your video and then went out to my shop and propped my phone up on the dash and watched it again and again..
Haha, That is fantastic! Try this one

Hey Mev if I remember correctly you are running headers now correct? What was your best ET with manifolds and how much did the headers gain you in ET ?
Thanks

Hey Mev if I remember correctly you are running headers now correct? What was your best ET with manifolds and how much did the headers gain you in ET ?
Thanks
went 12.40's with the stock log manifolds, 12.20 with the full TTI system. Lotta scratch for 2 tenths. Sounds wicked though.

Stock log manifolds not HP's? Amazing! 12.20 with the full TTI system, I take it that is including their headers?

Stock log manifolds not HP's? Amazing! 12.20 with the full TTI system, I take it that is including their headers?
Correct, headers full 3" including their x pipe, and the quiet dynomax superturbo mufflers

Like drag racers will nearly kill for 0.2 seconds, RF engineers will do the same for a dB. Gotta have it!
Yeah, it blew my "sleeper" idea out of the water, but it is quiet at highway speeds.

Back in my stereo competition days we went sound quality vs decibels, but the rf guys always want that gain.

Yeah, it blew my "sleeper" idea out of the water, but it is quiet at highway speeds.

Back in my stereo competition days we went sound quality vs decibels, but the rf guys always want that gain.
I am more familiar with radars and in that field, dBs are king. Either with setting the noise figure in a receiver or the ERP in a transmitter...

I did a quick rearrangement of a Newport emblem as a mock-up of what a "turbo" emblem would've looked like if they had that option back in the day :) I wish I had the wherewithal to actually make something like this...

from
upload_2021-3-9_16-8-35.png

to
upload_2021-3-9_10-27-39.png

Last edited:
What was the mph gain though, that's more telling for this change.
There's a great engine masters episode on different mufflers and another on pipe configuration and sizing. For low to moderate power a lot of it didn't matter that much. Highly recommend viewing.

What was the mph gain though, that's more telling for this change.
There's a great engine masters episode on different mufflers and another on pipe configuration and sizing. For low to moderate power a lot of it didn't matter that much. Highly recommend viewing.
Cant remember exactly, but it was only fractions of a mile per hour.

Back