Is interior of plastic parts a good guide for color?

Henrius

Reaction score
Nothing gives me as much grief as restoration of interior plastic panels, especially when the sun degrades the surface to powder. I finally found a local guy that can skin the old plastic with a vinyl that has similar texture.

But what color? The existing panels of my 1972 Newport are varying shades of off white, depending on how the sun struck them. I am guessing they used to be close to the color of the seat vinyl.

Is the inside of the panels, which were never exposed to sunlight, an indication of the original color of the plastic? Or does plastic change color over 50 years regardless of sun exposure?

My suggestion is to find a color that you think looks good and go with that.

There are so many combinations of color that it would be hard to figure out unless you found NOS parts or a car that's been inside all its life. You might be able to get a better idea from the back of those plastic parts, but even then, it can vary from piece to piece and car to car. Colors (even white) fade or yellow with age and UV light.

By covering the old stuff with vinyl, you kinda aren't restoring it anyway... Actually probably making it better than what it was new, so pick what looks good to you. Myself, I have a color consultant that makes all those color decisions for me... My wife.

Nothing gives me as much grief as restoration of interior plastic panels, especially when the sun degrades the surface to powder. I finally found a local guy that can skin the old plastic with a vinyl that has similar texture.

But what color? The existing panels of my 1972 Newport are varying shades of off white, depending on how the sun struck them. I am guessing they used to be close to the color of the seat vinyl.

Is the inside of the panels, which were never exposed to sunlight, an indication of the original color of the plastic? Or does plastic change color over 50 years regardless of sun exposure?
Realize, too, that until the 1974 model year, Chrysler was still using trim colors which had a pearl-tint to them, including white. Which means that a Chrysler Pearl White will not match a GM or Ford white, too. With time, the pearl on the white base vinyl can get a dirty look to it, but no cleaner I've found will remove it (I found this out on my '67 Newport with the white bucket seat interior).

I was unaware of the pearl tints until an upholstery man pointed it out to be back in the middle 1970s. Once I'd seen it, very easy to see after that. 1974+ Formals (and later models) had normal colors. The pearl tint usually adds a bit of sparkle to the base colors, by observation.

FWIW,
CBODY67

Realize, too, that until the 1974 model year, Chrysler was still using trim colors which had a pearl-tint to them, including white. Which means that a Chrysler Pearl White will not match a GM or Ford white, too. With time, the pearl on the white base vinyl can get a dirty look to it, but no cleaner I've found will remove it (I found this out on my '67 Newport with the white bucket seat interior).

I was unaware of the pearl tints until an upholstery man pointed it out to be back in the middle 1970s. Once I'd seen it, very easy to see after that. 1974+ Formals (and later models) had normal colors. The pearl tint usually adds a bit of sparkle to the base colors, by observation.

FWIW,
CBODY67
So that is what makes the parts look so dirty, no matter how I scrub them! Thanks for the revelation!

Guess Big John is right. It is impossible to restore the true color, so I might as well look for a color that looks pleasing, like trying to match the off white on the vinyl door panels.

Same trouble I am having with carpet. The patches under the seats protected from sun look different, but the patches of carpet on the door panels are a lighter brown than either color on the floor!

@CBODY67 - I've seen you mention the issue with the pearl colors in Chrysler white interiors before,so I was intrigued when I saw this on Facebook yesterday from guy who restored his Imperial's interior:

He said he used something called Leather World Tech Chrysler Pearl white dye, available here: Leather World - Leather Repair Products & Kits | Leather World Technologies

I couldn't find the actual product as he titled it, but I suspect they'd advise one on what to use if it was suitable.

Here is what he says, and a couple of pics he posted:
"I managed to sort the sun bleached seats on my 65, two weeks of leather cream, 8 hours prep and 6 coats of leather tech Chrysler Pearl white dye. Really pleased with the results and what a change from the horrible stained leather "

BEFORE

1659976367246.png
1659976403697.png

AFTER

1659976447185.png
1659976461085.png

Last edited:
Update - here's what the guy ordered - don't know if it would work on vinyl at all...

Leather/Vinyl Recoloring Kit
LVRCK-1
Color Chart Options: Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth, Color Code: GL 1284, Color Name: Pearl White, Kit Size: 32oz - Sofa, Gloss: Satin - Low Gloss, Color Adjusting Kit: No, Antimicrobial Product Protection: None Added
$119.95 USD
Qty: 1
$119.95 USD

Thanks for posting those pictures! Never knew the cracking could be "fixed" so well on automotive leather. He did an outstanding job.

Thanks for tracking that stuff down!

The Chrysler vinyls from back then have the pearl tint, as the fabrics have a metallic bit in them, too. Put them up against a Ford or GM fabric of the same color (except possibly black) and these things become very apparent.

CBODY67

Back