Is it the Internet, or me?

stubs300

Reaction score
I'm on a lot of different forums, I'm talkin a lot! Some I'm more active on then others, but stop by them all everyday to stay abreast of things and I post when I feel like posting. Since I don't post or reply much here, I felt that this would be a good natural place to ask this. I have noticed that all the forums have seemed to change for the worst and want to get y'all's opinion about it. It seems that people have gotten more brash about what they say and feel about things. They tell you that your an idiot and don't know what their talkin about, that you've been doing something all wrong, it's my way or the highway kind of stuff, my crap don't stink but yours does, why'd you vote for that POS, etc. etc; you get the idea?
To me they have lost their luster that they once were. The mods don't do **** to fix a problem when there's one, your the one with the problem while a troublemaker get away with murder all the time, etc.
I don't even want to get on the soapbox about how screwed up Windows is for trying to control my computer, and changing My Settings where I don't want them without my permission. You guys seeing the same on the web as I do or what? Discuss

The anonymity the Internet provides has created an animal that can't be stopped. Sure, we put our names in our info box, but since I know we are not in the same town, and will never see each other, I can be as rude to you as I wish. After all, there is no consequence! I can also lie about who I am; who's going to know?

Yes, I have noticed this. I am also sick of the political ranting!

It seems that people have gotten more brash about what they say and feel about things. They tell you that your an idiot and don't know what their talkin about, that you've been doing something all wrong, it's my way or the highway kind of stuff, my crap don't stink but yours does, why'd you vote for that POS, etc. etc; you get the idea?

Ah yes, the "keyboard cowboys", the "internet trolls", the fat m'fers with no real world experience who hasn't been outside or interacted with an actual person in months, but knows something that no one else does, except for the genius who wrote a post that fat m'fer agreed with. Opinions and assholes.

Personally, I skip post made by people who I identify as the above. Some boards are worse than others, and those boards seem to go with a group think mentality. I loose interest in those boards quickly.

Yea I’ve noticed it as well. I use to do a lot of the Racing social media. I’ve seen some pretty nasty, bitter arguments. A couple of times the guys would arrange to meet at a track to discuss matters up close & personal. Usually young guys but not always. One day last summer my cell phone rang. I pulled my phone out & it said Facebook call from - - I knew the guy. A customer. So I answered & we talked for a bit. Then I asked how did you get my cell #. He said oh it’s easy. I just did the Facebook call. I was telling a friend about it & he said yes if you get on Facebook with your Cell you can be tracked. I had no idea. So I use to enjoy messing with the Chevie guys. Asking them what’s the going price on rod bearings from China this week or hey I got a friend looking for a SBC that doesn’t leak oil. Can anyone help. And other stuff like that. I don’t do that anymore.

Yea I’ve noticed it as well. I use to do a lot of the Racing social media. I’ve seen some pretty nasty, bitter arguments. A couple of times the guys would arrange to meet at a track to discuss matters up close & personal. Usually young guys but not always. One day last summer my cell phone rang. I pulled my phone out & it said Facebook call from - - I knew the guy. A customer. So I answered & we talked for a bit. Then I asked how did you get my cell #. He said oh it’s easy. I just did the Facebook call. I was telling a friend about it & he said yes if you get on Facebook with your Cell you can be tracked. I had no idea. So I use to enjoy messing with the Chevie guys. Asking them what’s the going price on rod bearings from China this week or hey I got a friend looking for a SBC that doesn’t leak oil. Can anyone help. And other stuff like that. I don’t do that anymore.
It's true, my Son does it all the time because of his business. If someone calls saying they want to buy $60,000 worth of equipment, when the call is over he checks the number to see if it's viable. He tells me he can find anyone, anywhere.

It's true, my Son does it all the time because of his business. If someone calls saying they want to buy $60,000 worth of equipment, when the call is over he checks the number to see if it's viable. He tells me he can find anyone, anywhere.
Yep, I believe it.

I myself don't do facebook,instagram etc. I refuse to be stalked legally. I stay away typing about politics. Cell phones are bad enough.

No facebook for me either. I see it used as a soap box for idiots with nothing going on, trying to start trouble. It usually shocks people when I tell them that I don't do facebook, then they give me the "try the koolaid" speech.

For the past 50-60 years the mass of the country has been pitted against each other by corporations, media, and political parties, for their own ends. Sound bites have killed conversation and persuasion. We have a culture of "My dick is bigger than yours, prove me wrong.". What you're seeing is the culmination of that in the perceived anonymity of the internet.

Some of this new “must have” technology is starting to creep me out. I hop in my car and the cell phone messenger tells me traffic conditions and time to the girlfriends house. How does it know where i’m going?
Don’t get me started on Google. Try removing it from your pc! I use Bing search exclusively for now.

One day last summer my cell phone rang. I pulled my phone out & it said Facebook call from - - I knew the guy. A customer. So I answered & we talked for a bit. Then I asked how did you get my cell #. He said oh it’s easy. I just did the Facebook call. I was telling a friend about it & he said yes if you get on Facebook with your Cell you can be tracked. I had no idea.

I don't have a cell phone, but I do know that there are settings you need to turn off so that won't happen. One is called Geo-tracking. You need to turn all that crap off in your phones settings if you want privacy.

I myself don't do facebook,instagram etc. I refuse to be stalked legally. I stay away typing about politics. Cell phones are bad enough.
If I really wanted to, I could probably track you down by studying your activity here. Real quickly, I see your in MA. but you could be lying about that. Anybody that wants you can find you, ever do a search on yourself and see the dirt that comes up?

Some of this new “must have” technology is starting to creep me out. I hop in my car and the cell phone messenger tells me traffic conditions and time to the girlfriends house. How does it know where i’m going?
Don’t get me started on Google. Try removing it from your pc! I use Bing search exclusively for now.
Yep, go to Intellicast - Local and National Weather Forecast, Radar, Maps and Severe Report and type in your zip code only and enter. On the page to the right is a box with nearby stations, pick the one that you think is closest to you, that page will show your exact location on the street you live. There's just no way around it except to get off the web and never come back, or they will find you.

I'm on a lot of different forums, I'm talkin a lot! Some I'm more active on then others, but stop by them all everyday to stay abreast of things and I post when I feel like posting. Since I don't post or reply much here, I felt that this would be a good natural place to ask this. I have noticed that all the forums have seemed to change for the worst and want to get y'all's opinion about it. It seems that people have gotten more brash about what they say and feel about things. They tell you that your an idiot and don't know what their talkin about, that you've been doing something all wrong, it's my way or the highway kind of stuff, my crap don't stink but yours does, why'd you vote for that POS, etc. etc; you get the idea?
To me they have lost their luster that they once were. The mods don't do **** to fix a problem when there's one, your the one with the problem while a troublemaker get away with murder all the time, etc.
I don't even want to get on the soapbox about how screwed up Windows is for trying to control my computer, and changing My Settings where I don't want them without my permission. You guys seeing the same on the web as I do or what? Discuss
This may help... and seems to coming soon too :lol:
WhatNationalDayIsIt.com
1e97be91c179e0b6ad0c058018851a9d--adult-humor-funny-****.jpg

The internet has been an incubator for sociopathic behavior since AOL chat rooms.
When I started out in web design and marketing a few years before Facebook hit the scene, I remember people talking about the web as if it were some sort of bastion of Democracy... I guess it could have been considered that way but being born of the military - industrial complex, I never had much faith in the "touchy feely" arguments for it.

I can ignore what I need to on the web. Problem is that, the "safe space" afforded to straight up assholishness by the Internet cannot be contained by the internet alone. I see it spilling out all over my country like so much diarrhea and cheese wiz.

I don't have a cell phone, but I do know that there are settings you need to turn off so that won't happen. One is called Geo-tracking. You need to turn all that crap off in your phones settings if you want privacy.

Bullshit. Just get a flip-phone...like me :D

Quote: If I really wanted to, I could probably track you down by studying your activity here. Real quickly, I see your in MA. but you could be lying about that. Anybody that wants you can find you, ever do a search on yourself and see the dirt that comes up? ::Quote.

I know people that do this all the time. And very quickly all the way to seeing a street side view of your house...then they can see when you bought it and for how much. It is very easy to do backround checks on anybody legally and quickly.

Back