Is it the Internet, or me?

Look around next time you go out to eat. You'll see entire families at a table with their noses in their cell phones. Not one word spoken between them. Parents can't be bothered to talk to the kids. Can't even put the things down when the server appears.

Look around next time you go out to eat. You'll see entire families at a table with their noses in their cell phones. Not one word spoken between them. Parents can't be bothered to talk to the kids. Can't even put the things down when the server appears.

Sad but true. My father is one of the worst about this. We (me and my woman) quit going anywhere with him years ago because there was no conversation, and the little bit that was made would be constantly interrupted by minutes of silence, like mid sentence, while he looked at some facebook message. Everybody else will continue with the conversation, then he will try to pick up where he checked out, and repeat until he is just completely lost. It's so bad that I don't think my stepmother will go anywhere with him anymore because of this.

It's probably a little of both, OP. We all let our personalities loose online where they bash about like a bull in a china shop because others cant see our faces, body language, etc, which are the things that allow us to understand each other both literally and figuratively. Since this is the case, we, as a society globally have lost for the most part our ability to successfully interact with each other, here and face to face. Back in the day you would go and see someone you wanted to talk to, then came phones, you could listen at least to tone of voice and inflection. Helpful but not 100% correct obviously, then computers alienated us the rest of the way. As each successive generation dies off, the ability to communicate one on one, and face to face will die off as well. Unfortunately what will NOT die off is human nature. We all are different in so many ways that misunderstandings and disagreements are a way of life. The anonymity of online use allows us to exercise this human flaw unrestrained. Glad i'm old.

It's beyond just being rude. What they're telling me is that phone is more important than anything I have to say. Like the person that answers their cell while you're mid conversation or in a meeting. Particularly the guy whose wife calls him 8 time a day. Rude. I just walk away. Do that to me at work and you'll be working for someone else tomorrow.

It's beyond just being rude. What they're telling me is that phone is more important than anything I have to say. Like the person that answers their cell while you're mid conversation or in a meeting. Particularly the guy whose wife calls him 8 time a day. Rude. I just walk away. Do that to me at work and you'll be working for someone else tomorrow.

OMG yes... I dont even have a data plan on my phone and just use it when there is wifi available. However, we go out to eat with friends and they all have their noses in their phones while i sit there silently like I dont belong. I always just think "i could be home doing something else..." My wife isnt any better, we rent a movie to watch and she sits there facebooking. Often times its not even anything i enjoy watching and im im just thinking "WTF". And if i say something about the phone stuff they all get suuuuuuper defensive. Its real bad that i dont even want to go anywhere with anyone because of this. Or people come over and then just play on ththe phones, stay home then....

In complete denial of the internet I wrote a letter of complaint yesterday for a faulty delivery in car parts.

DSCI0087.JPG

And I have a computer for **** and Car Forums.
Oh ****, did I just say that out loud??
View attachment 185525

I believe you just did!

Is it the Internet, or me?

It is you. You are one of the most brash respondents on this site. Unless you are just joking with us tongue in cheek. :rolleyes:

I guess you've only read my trash talk, as I have made dozens upon dozens contributing and helpful comments to members here since I've been a member, but you are entitled to your opinion.

I agree. When "Call waiting" first appeared, I had a buddy who would put me on hold every time another call would come in. It pissed me off. I finally told him, "When you're ready to talk with me, I'll continue this phone call. Until then, goodbye." I hung up. He called back asking what he had done?

W.T.H.

[email protected]

Just received an update from one of our threads from this site today. W.T.H.?
Am I going to get this notice to my personal email everytime a thread receives a comment?
The interweb is getting creepy nosey.

I mean...it does me no harm if someone tells me I'm an ******* or whatever I do is wrong or cusses me out or whatever, they got the freedom to express that and its my responsibility to just get over it, you have the choice to ignore it.
With every right comes responsibility. While getting personal and abusive might be a right, it is counterproductive to meaningful discussion. The best approach is to always address the idea and not the person.You know you have won your point when the other person can't respond with anything but a personal insult. My .02.

With every right comes responsibility. While getting personal and abusive might be a right, it is counterproductive to meaningful discussion. The best approach is to always address the idea and not the person.You know you have won your point when the other person can't respond with anything but a personal insult. My .02.
You're right, the problems come when we continue to try to convince the OP that our viewpoint is correct. I've been guilty too many times. I do try to just drop my info and move on... it seems I'm just not smart enough to always do so.

Kind of reminds me of this:

Back