Is my 66 riding low?

Jeff Skibenes

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Chrysler Newport. I had one when I was a teenager. It seems like the car is riding low. Does anyone have any input based on the attached photos?
IMG_5030.jpg
IMG_5031.jpg
IMG_5056.jpg
IMG_5057.jpg
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5059.jpg

Nice Newport - the "stance" overall looks a little low. Replacing those leaf springs will bring it back to the correct height, and really improves the handling. I got them for my '67 from Espo, next to brakes, it was the best $$$ I have spent on it. I ordered mine, then picked them up at Carlisle to save on the shipping. Good luck.

Last edited:
Nice Newport - the "stance" overall looks a little low. Replacing those leaf springs will bring it back to the correct height, and really improves the handling. I got them for my '67 from Espo, next to brakes, it was the best $$$ I have spent on it. Good luck. I ordered mine, then picked them up at Carlisle to save on the shipping. Good luck.
Thanks! I sent in my request for a quote. BTW, which week at Carlisle is best for me to flout the land yacht?

OK folks from ESPO here is her response:
Hi Jeff,

The 6-leaf standard duty stock replacement springs are $320/pair, the HD 7-leaf springs are $330/pair. They are matched pairs and come with the front bushings pressed in. Rear shackles with bushings are $76/pair; ubolts $20/set of 4 and front eye bolts $8/pair. Shipping depends on which springs and hardware you are interested in. If you let me know I can give you shipping, a total and secure link for payment in case you decide to order. It's currently taking about 4 weeks to ship.

According to my pictures, I have 5 leafs, but maybe I am not looking at this correctly. Anybody want to weigh in and make a suggestion here?

OK folks from ESPO here is her response:
Hi Jeff,

The 6-leaf standard duty stock replacement springs are $320/pair, the HD 7-leaf springs are $330/pair. They are matched pairs and come with the front bushings pressed in. Rear shackles with bushings are $76/pair; ubolts $20/set of 4 and front eye bolts $8/pair. Shipping depends on which springs and hardware you are interested in. If you let me know I can give you shipping, a total and secure link for payment in case you decide to order. It's currently taking about 4 weeks to ship.

According to my pictures, I have 5 leafs, but maybe I am not looking at this correctly. Anybody want to weigh in and make a suggestion here?
Best I can make out from your pictures is that I see 4 leaves from the axle back and in I think the drivers side spring picture forward of the rear axle I see 5.
You may have some broken missing leaves or in over the life of this vehicle the springs have been already replaced with something not stock.

I agree. Maybe it's just the picture but it looks like your shy a leaf or two.

Thank you guys! I agree that the count is weird. I found the same strange information, so I think that I'm just going to order the standard 6 leaf and see where that leaves the rear height. Once the springs have been on a while, I'll adjust the front as needed to even it out and then get it aligned. I looked at the torsion bar adjustment bolts for the first time today and they are very different as far as how high the left vs the right bolt head is, so I'm assuming there is something going on there as well. The car sits level left to right. I truly appreciate all of the insight you guys are giving me!! Thank you!!

I looked at the torsion bar adjustment bolts for the first time today and they are very different as far as how high the left vs the right bolt head is, so I'm assuming there is something going on there as well.

From looking at your rear springs I'm guessing they are making up the difference between the rear to keep the car level.

Looking at how much of the rear wheel cover is exposed below the fender skirt, things appear to be pretty much correct to me. The front might be about .25" too low, as the front of the rocker panel seems just a tad lower than the rear of the rocker panel. Rocker panel needs to be parellel to the road.

Check out some of the orig factory photographic sales pictures to gauge if the car is sitting low or not, for comparison. Seems like the rh rr spring has another 1/2 leaf in it than the lh rr spring does to help with traction under hard acceleration, which was typical of Chrysler products back then.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Great looking 4 door hardtop Chrysler. They are 55 year old leaf spring so yeah, they are a little tired. These cars, especially with skirts, always had a low stance. New rear leafs would be a huge upgrade. I plan on doing them on my '68 Fury sometime in the future. keep us posted on your progress.

Back