Is the Ramcharger Coming Back

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Is the Ramcharger coming back?

FB_IMG_1550267101531.jpg

Clearly photoshopped. Here is the original image.
2019-ram-1500-crew-cab-limited-red-front.jpg

Regardless, come on FCA build one of these already! I even like the colour.

They are talking about making an SUV on the RAM1500 chassis, but the last plan I heard was it would be a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Although 4 doors, this would be closer to the original than what Chevrolet has done with the Blazer(another crossover) or the Ford Bronco which I have read will be based on the new Ranger. Seems like a no brainer, a truck based SUV that could tow.

A 2-door large SUV would not sell today. If they build one it will probably only be available as a 4-door.
Well that's a shame, I was all ready to spend $50-60k on a new 2 Dr. That would fit MY needs, not what the marketing team thinks I need. Guess I'll find a nice one like 71polara383 has.....

This is my old RC. Solid Texas truck. $700 bucks and didnt even make it home and the trans let go in a big way. Rear planetary broke and took the case with it. It was only 2wd (only reason I was stuck after I sled into someone's yard) so it was easy to swap a trans in it. Did the R&R the same day I got my wisdom teeth pulled.

857947_10151349363574514_500395684_o.jpg

Sold my 83 2wd Ramcharger to finance the BoaB paint job. Really was fun owning that truck.
boab and ramcharger 042.JPG

I'm sure 5.7 Hemi will be standard fare.

Supercharged Hellcat or maybe (dreaming) the 1000 hp 426 crate engine in the $90k limited production RC.

IF FCA would do something like that, they'd need to share the basic platform with Dodge, Chrysler maybe, and Maserati. In many market considerations, Durango is already there, just not with a 3/4 ton version for serious towing.

The large SUV market can be fickle. More people bought Tahoes/Suburbans than really needed them. Last fuel price increase (10 years ago) and they got "cheap" on the used car lots. BUT for the family demographic that really needs something of that size, those used ones were really nice to find! So there's always a core market for them, but it's been eroded somewhat by the "3-row" crossovers, even if that 3rd row can't be inhabited OR accessed by anyone larger than a small teen-aged human. AND can carry any luggage when that 3rd row is inhabited! The "towing market" seems to have been replaced by the "large cab" HD2500 diesel pickups.

Right now, Jeep is in the sweetspot in product and customer desires. Putting a "larger" SUV there might make more sense than for "performance" Dodge or "Luxury" Chrysler. How many remember the Chrysler "Aspen"??? Of course, Chrysler Corp marketing was not at its best during the Daimler/Cerberus era!

To me, the Durango is a "best kept secret" that's not being fully promoted as it could be. Performance with utility with style with good power. Not very many on the roads down here, unlike $35K or $75K+ pickups.

Can't really see Chrysler competing with Escalade. Those "1%" or "1% pretender-leases" would not help corporate profits. Although Chrysler Imperials used to easily challenge and best Cadillacs in many areas, the generations that remember how much better those Imperials were than similar Cadillacs are not really in the market for something of that nature, at the present time, I suspect. Especially with Mercedes, BMW, and Infinity now playing to those same upper-level market demographics! Chrysler would get lost in the dust, unfortunately.

Perhaps the current purchasers of the orig Jeep Waggoneers, having been completely restored/refurbished/rebuilt (by a company in SW TX, for one) might buy a new Jeep Grand _______? BUT it'll have to meet some really "high bars" in many areas to have credibility with them. Not unlike the fwd Chrysler 300M and the original Letter Car owners.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
The Blazer is back if you don't want to wait...
And there is a Bronco coming. Don't buy a white one.
Valet: And which car is yours, sir?
You: ummmm.. the white Bronco.
pointing-and-laughing.jpg

I remember the Chrysler Aspen...my wife loves hers.

View attachment 260836

Back when they were new, I rented one from National. I liked it for what it was, but it just didn't seem to be in "that league" with Escalade and similar. Probably weren't that many Chrysler buyers that wanted to move into the popular SUV products? Buyers that wanted Doges got the Durango. FEW conquest sales from GM or Ford, I suspect. Which, again, made the Chrysler product a bargain on the used car lot.

CBODY67

Back