Is there a Road worthy drip pan, band aid fix?

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
My power steering gear box has a bad leak, I gotta replace it. I don't have the budget at the moment but I will soon enough. In the meantime I have a oil catch pan under it in the garage but would like to drive it around and park it in places without leaving a puddle out of common courtesy. Is there any type of temporary but road worthy drip pan that can bolt on underneath and catch oil?

There's a lot of things that work. Old kitchen cookie pans (the ones with raised sides) are a favorite of mine, but anything like that works.

Visit your local dollar store and look where the disposable aluminum pans are for something.

Some Speedy Dry type clay absorbent would probably be good to have. Cheap Kitty Litter (real cheap clay stuff) will work in a pinch too.

I've been known to spread some Speedy Dry (buy it at Auto Zone etc.) in a pan too. Then dump the wet stuff into a bag.

A lot of guys aren't that considerate. I know. They visit me so, thank you.

On a humorous sidenote, literally every house on my street use a lawn mowing service.
Literally every house on my street has an oil stain in front of their house.

I've also used a flattened cardboard box. By flattening it, the cardboard is double thickness.

A lot of guys aren't that considerate. I know. They visit me so, thank you.

On a humorous sidenote, literally every house on my street use a lawn mowing service.
Literally every house on my street has an oil stain in front of their house.
My lawn guy parks in the road.

Road worthy is the problem. I had and explorer with a rear main seal leak and used a foil
Pan and some binder clips to make a catch pan. Felt real sturdy until I started driving and saw it in the rear view mirror. I then used aluminum roof flashing on a roll which is my go to… because I have an entire roll…and that worked with screw in the bell housing. Anyway I’m thinking one or two of those big hose clamps will fit around your pump and u can feed it through whatever material u can bend and still withstand the wind. I used one of those big clamps to make a heat shield on one side of the pump do I know it fits

I missed the "road worthy" part. Nothing I suggested will fasten on the car. They would be good to pull out of the trunk though.

Found a picture showing the Pig Mat absorption pads tucked in around the pump. One underneath and one behind. They stayed there till I sold the car, even at highway speed.
2016-05-15_002.jpg

Alan

Lucas power steering stop leak has worked for me. I used it in an '88 Cougar that was leaking seriously and no leaks for acouple of years- till it went to the scrap yard! LC

Back