Is there a way to take out rear defog switch?

Jon O.

Reaction score
I have a 72 newport and I was screwing around trying to get the clock to work, and I had to take the instrument cluster mostly out, and it was a HUGE pain in the...:BangHead: to get it out. Afterwards when I put it all back together, I nearly broke the plug for the gas gauge, and the rear defog switch was hard to plug in, and I guess it didnt plug in all the way. Ive tried to push it in from behind, but it was too hard to do. Is there any way to take the switch out from the front, plug it in, and put it back without removing the entire instrument panel again?

Last edited:
Here are a few pics, front and back from a '73, might be the same, maybe it will help.

Photo Jul 04, 5 35 48 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 04, 5 36 43 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 04, 5 36 43 PM_fix.jpg

Photo Jul 04, 5 37 11 PM (1).jpg

Make friends with someone who has tiny hands.
Thats my problem too. when I unplugged it I had to use pliers and now it wont go back on. When I stick my hand back there, the speaker, the screw holes, and various other things stab me.

Thats my problem too. when I unplugged it I had to use pliers and now it wont go back on. When I stick my hand back there, the speaker, the screw holes, and various other things stab me.

Might you have better access by removing the inner (silver) portion of the ash receiver? I think that's only 4 screws.

Photo_Jul_04,_5_36_43_PM.png
Also, what is the circled connector for? It broke off in the socket when I pulled it off, and the 3rd pin from the top is very loose. Should I try soldering the wires on there, or just leave it alone?

Might you have better access by removing the inner (silver) portion of the ash receiver? I think that's only 4 screws.
I glanced at that, and didnt want to risk breaking something else, thanks. I'm not careless, but it seems like I fix one thing and two more break, haha.

the ammeter wires are the black and red ones on the left. The first pin on the bottom goes to one of two bolts for the fuel gauge for reference on the front.
Sorry, I just don't remember, and I no longer have this cluster.

View attachment 155095 Also, what is the circled connector for? It broke off in the socket when I pulled it off, and the 3rd pin from the top is very loose. Should I try soldering the wires on there, or just leave it alone?

If you look at the printed circuit, you'l notice that pin is common with the outside edges of a twist in bulb. So it's a ground. Since those panels as front-lit, it's for some kind of warning light (seat belts, lock doors, etc.)

If you look at the printed circuit, you'l notice that pin is common with the outside edges of a twist in bulb. So it's a ground. Since those panels as front-lit, it's for some kind of warning light (seat belts, lock doors, etc.)
Seat belt is on the right side so I think it is low fuel light, which wasn't working anyways, so it must have already been broken. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
View attachment 155095 Also, what is the circled connector for? It broke off in the socket when I pulled it off, and the 3rd pin from the top is very loose. Should I try soldering the wires on there, or just leave it alone?
Jon, I happen to have a brand new circuit board. Since we both live in Indianapolis, I can have it to you tonight or tomorrow, 60.00 takes it. PM me and Ill give you my cell # if you want it.

20171204_185619.jpg

Jon, I happen to have a brand new circuit board. Since we both live in Indianapolis, I can have it to you tonight or tomorrow, 60.00 takes it. PM me and Ill give you my cell # if you want it.

View attachment 155151
As much as I appreciate the offer, im young and put every spare dollar into gas. I will probably take it out and solder the pins onto there. If it cant be done, I may buy it from you at a later time.

Good shots of the back of the cluster. Was there anything plugged into those three slots on the printed board? I think that's where the voltage limiter goes that makes the gas gauge work.

Photo Jul 04, 5 36 43 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Good shots of the back of the cluster. Was there anything plugged into those three slots on the printed board? I think that's where the voltage limiter goes that makes the gas gauge work.

View attachment 156319
Some cars, like my '70, have a low fuel light with a relay that has the voltage limiter built into it. With that option, there is no limiter in that location.

Back