Is there an easy way to access the speedometer illumination lamps?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to access the speedometer illumination lamps? I have the center bulb out so it doesn't illuminate from 20 - 80 mph. Would I be able to get to it by taking the dash pad off or does the front of the dash panel have to come off?

Is there an easy way to access the speedometer illumination lamps? ?
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!
Ummm, no.
Remove all the screws under the bottom edge.
Remove steering column cover.
Drop steering column.
Unscrew the trip odometer knob.
There's 1 or 2 other thingies have to be removed but can't recall them right now.
Pop off the three instrument panel faces. Carefull, the way they attach to each other is fragile.
Replace every bulb while you're in there.
The factory used blue condoms over the bulbs.
You can buy blue bulbs.
After removing the bulbs, be very carefull about pushing back in the new one. It's very easy to pop the bulb socket out of the instrument panel and the you're screwed because you can't get at it from underneath to pop it back in. Well, you can, but you'll never want to do it again.
On a side note, when your brake light switch goes, and it will, and after you've replaced it, get back to me and tell me what you think about the engineers who put it where it is.

Thanks Commando1. Jeez, I just knew it wouldn't be easy. I tapped the dash pad a few nights ago and the light lit up. Last night it went out again, the tap didn't work.

Bring it to my house and I'll change it without taking the cluster out.

That is why they called me 'The Weasel' back when I worked on them when they were new.

That is why they called me 'The Weasel' back when I worked on them when they were new.

Ok, where do you live? I hope not California...

Wow, you worked on them when new. That is super cool!!!

:yourock:

Yah, where are you? I've got a job for you RIGHT NOW! I'll fly you down here if necessary. Got a 76 NYB dash that needs to be COMPLETELY torn apart and reassembled.

Last edited:
Yah, where are you? I've got a job for you RIGHT NOW! I'll fly you down here if necessary. Got a 76 NYB das that needs to be COMPLETELY torn apart and reassembled.

That's funny! My electrical system still needs a lot of work. Next on the list is replacing the blower motor so I can figure out the heat and a/c system. I've been making progress, got all the windows, most of the lights, cruise control, buzzers working now.

:head_smack:

I can do it, but right now I'm kinda mentally beat to death....
I just look at it and go, Nah, not today. If I finished it it would be a whole lot easier to sell. I'm my own worst enemy right now. No one to blame but myself.
And Obama....

Ok, where do you live? I hope not California...

Wow, you worked on them when new. That is super cool!!!

:yourock:

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I just got back from Laredo, Texas and was without a laptop.

Here is an article on one of the cars from the dealership.
I did the PDI on this car !!

http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3348

As for accessing the lights, if you have small hands you can lay on the floor with your feet over the back of the front seat and work your way up behind the speedo and twist the 1/4 turn things out. Remember, the top of the thing turns towards the passenger door to remove and toward the driver door to re-install.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, and I don't know about the New Yorker specifically, but if it's anything like the Monaco it's actually pretty easy. You just pop off the Instrument Panel Upper Cover (the metal piece in front of the padded dash). It's only about 5 metal clips and should pop right off with a little prying. Just be careful not to crack any brittle dash pad! From there you can look through the windshield and contort your arm and see everything you're doing. Again, sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I thought it was pretty helpful and hopefully this can help other people with any speedometer issues...

I know this is an old thread, and I don't know about the New Yorker specifically, but if it's anything like the Monaco it's actually pretty easy. You just pop off the Instrument Panel Upper Cover (the metal piece in front of the padded dash). It's only about 5 metal clips and should pop right off with a little prying. Just be careful not to crack any brittle dash pad! From there you can look through the windshield and contort your arm and see everything you're doing. Again, sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I thought it was pretty helpful and hopefully this can help other people with any speedometer issues...

I agree....

Last edited:

Thanks! I'll have to try that.

Back