Is this an easy power steering leak fix?

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
68 newport. 383. I just went through a whole ordeal getting a new power steering pump and new hoses in. Runs good. I seem to have a little pooling of fluid at the bottom of the steering column portion. See pic. It's like a little dome. Is there a easily replaceable gasket there by chance? Or will it be the usual big hassle?

20200604_113814.jpg

The dome is not likely to leak unless the jam nut for the adjusting screw is loose. Check your hose connections. The other leak source could be the PA valve. That is the valve body the two hoses hook to. There are O-Rings on the base of the valve that sometimes leak. Get a can of Brake-Kleen and clean up the area around the PA valve and see if you can spot where the oil is coming from. Note that the PA valve is adjustable and if it is not placed in exactly the same spot, the car will self steer to the right or left. Read the FSM about adjusting the valve. If you need to remove it to replace the O-Rings, purchase the high density O-Rings as the cheap auto parts variety are too soft and will fail quickly. The dome does not have a user serviceable gasket, the gear would have to be rebuilt.

Dave

One word of extreme caution, as Dave mentioned above, the gear box will self steer until it is adjusted correctly. I have seen them go to full lock when the engine is started. DO NOT START THE ENGINE IF YOU HANDS ARE ON THE STEERING WHEEL. I saw a fellow worker get a broken wrist from this.

Last edited:
before you replace the O-rings put a mark on each side of the parts so you can aline it back up close to that is was. if you need to adjust do it very little at a time . thats how i did it on my 72 newport the O-rings were leaking . with the marks there you know you started just in case

I have had the same issue when replacing my power steering unit. The leak came from the fitting connecting the high pressure hose to the valve body. Oil flowed down onto the dome next to it
The fitting needed to be reused and did not mesh well with the crush washer underneath.
I removed and cleaned the fitting and added a new copper crush washer, problem solved.

The washer used is part of this kit if I remember correctly: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ADO-36-350420

68 newport. 383. I just went through a whole ordeal getting a new power steering pump and new hoses in. Runs good. I seem to have a little pooling of fluid at the bottom of the steering column portion. See pic. It's like a little dome. Is there a easily replaceable gasket there by chance? Or will it be the usual big hassle?

View attachment 380836
itlooks like maybe yur spool valve may have bad o rings in it dont try to change them & start the car with yur arm through the wheel it will break it i now been there & done thst u relly need a fsm for thst

Back