It was twenty years ago today…

D Cluley

Reaction score
In the Summer of 2002 I was looking for a cheap beater as a backup for my aging minivan. A nearly 40 year old full size convertible was not on the list of ideal candidates, but on a sunny Saturday afternoon, taking it for a test drive did seem like a fun idea. As often happens, this objectively terrible idea started to seem reasonable, and Monday Morning, July 15 2002, I bought a 1965 Chrysler 300 convertible. It ran, it drove, and it cost $1000, so yes, it was exactly as rough as you imagine. My lunch break that afternoon included a visit to Radio Shack for some wire and switch to temporarily get the taillights & brake lights working, the first of a series of repairs that has gone on pretty much continuously for 20 years now. It is still a bit of a rusty mess, but the interior is a lot nicer, it’s hopefully getting a 2nd new top this year, and I’ve driven it something over 80,000 miles, so perhaps not such a terrible idea after all.
65 Chrysler King Motors Mason 7 13 2002.JPG

July 13, 2002

1965 Chrysler Mason 07 19 2020 a.JPG

July 19, 2020

Congrats on owning it 20 years. I purchased my 1970 Fury conv in 2013. It needs a top too.

We get by with a little help from our friends...here on the FCBO Forum!

Nice. I'll hit a quarter century with my fury this November. 28 years with my Coronet

Dan
I believe that I met you on the MI 127 tour a couple of years ago. I was driving the 'green '68 Superbee.
Are you participating this year? I will be in the 'Party Barge' '65 Newport.

Omni

17 years for the Boab and me, 12 for the Waygun.
So,for her 20th anniversary she got a transmission!

Next time passing through the Motor City we gotta meet up...
I will bring the jukebox money!!

Dan
I believe that I met you on the MI 127 tour a couple of years ago. I was driving the 'green '68 Superbee.
Are you participating this year? I will be in the 'Party Barge' '65 Newport.

Omni

Yes, I am hoping to do at least some of the tour. Not sure about details yet, mostly depends on whether or not I can replace the top in the next 3 weeks. Eek! :)

Great story and a pretty nice looking convertible.
I had a similar experience when I got my 65 Sport Fury convertible. 1980, I was looking for a 'Cuda or Road Runner as a weekend drag car. My father had a 65 Fury I brand new in 65 and I loved that car. So, when I saw the 65 Sport Fury for sale, I just went to check it out, test drive, etc. I ended up buying it and the rest is history. I did end up racing it as I never found that 'Cuda or Road Runner. Wow, 42 years - hard to believe. Good times indeed.

Back