It's getting cold. Time to go away

John and Sam.jpg
My son seems to be having a good time on his cruise.

Of course cruise ships like airplanes or other such devices can be bug central, but there are worse things. My youngest grand daughter just started attending day care last week and already everyone she's had contact with is feeling like crap. I suppose I could escape this germ feast for a cruise and add a little motion sickness to the mix. So Peter your deck cruise got me thinking I should sign up for a cruise or two, but then Commando1 managed to convince me otherwise! :poke: They say bugs don't like cold temperatures, maybe I'll setup camp in the backyard.

goi-y-khi-cam-trai-da-ngoai-mua-dong-wetrek_vn-4.jpg

then Commando1 managed to convince me otherwise!
Don't let me influence you. I'm just going by the fact that of our party of four, we all got violently sick with both of our wifes going straight from the ship to the ER. My wife was admitted.
In addition to the seven (yes, seven) passengers on the ship during the cruise who were air lifted off the ship by the Mexican Coast Guard to hospitals on land.
It was a Norwegion Cruise line with hand sanitation stations every 25 ft. too

Nope. No public travel for me, thank you.

Don't let me influence you. I'm just going by the fact that of our party of four, we all got violently sick with both of our wifes going straight from the ship to the ER. My wife was admitted.
In addition to the seven (yes, seven) passengers on the ship during the cruise who were air lifted off the ship by the Mexican Coast Guard to hospitals on land.

Well, with your personal experience, I fully understand your POV, and there is no convincing you otherwise. BTW, it is nice and sunny and warm here in Key West.

Well, with your personal experience, I fully understand your POV, and there is no convincing you otherwise. BTW, it is nice and sunny and warm here in Key West.
The important thing, Peter, is that you really enjoy your cruises. I'm happy for ya that you're getting to do what you want to do after paying your dues all your life.
It's cocktail hour, dude. :thumbsup::)

I've managed to get this old by learning from my mistakes and the mistakes of others so my top stay away zones are, hospitals, doctor's offices, airplanes and cruise ships.
Airplanes used to be safe when everyone was allowed to smoke while flying. The air was circulated quickly with the smoke being exhausted to be replaced with new clean air. Today's jets don't exhaust air, they recirculate to make sure even a tiny sniffle gets shared by all.
Hospitals and doctor's offices are just bad places to even walk by.
Cruise ships I don't know much about. I'm a shorts and tee shirt vacationer and the "formal" look of cruise ship dining rooms do not turn my crank. I don't know, after all the news reports of "sick" boats I'm afraid to take the chance.
Maybe I'll just replace the rad on my Fury and take off on a coast to coast tour after I get my cataracts removed next June. The Fury has already dipped her wheels in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Maybe time to also do the Gulf of Mexico or a run up the new highway to Tuktoyaktuk. The only problem with the Tuktoyaktuk run is zero support, if it breaks, you either fix it or die trying unless you travel with a buddy or two.

Hey Derek (CanCritter), is that GT of yours up for a dip in the Arctic Ocean? Anyone else interested?

Tuk trip.JPG

I've managed to get this old by learning from my mistakes and the mistakes of others so my top stay away zones are, hospitals, doctor's offices, airplanes and cruise ships.
Airplanes used to be safe when everyone was allowed to smoke while flying. The air was circulated quickly with the smoke being exhausted to be replaced with new clean air. Today's jets don't exhaust air, they recirculate to make sure even a tiny sniffle gets shared by all.
Hospitals and doctor's offices are just bad places to even walk by.
Cruise ships I don't know much about. I'm a shorts and tee shirt vacationer and the "formal" look of cruise ship dining rooms do not turn my crank. I don't know, after all the news reports of "sick" boats I'm afraid to take the chance.
Maybe I'll just replace the rad on my Fury and take off on a coast to coast tour after I get my cataracts removed next June. The Fury has already dipped her wheels in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Maybe time to also do the Gulf of Mexico or a run up the new highway to Tuktoyaktuk. The only problem with the Tuktoyaktuk run is zero support, if it breaks, you either fix it or die trying unless you travel with a buddy or two.

Hey Derek (CanCritter), is that GT of yours up for a dip in the Arctic Ocean? Anyone else interested?

View attachment 151868

Here's a little read for you, Bill.

In Focus: Breathing at high altitude - Lufthansa Technik AG

As far as your road trip goes, is that paved all the way?

For the most part, the area around the port in Key West seems to be fully functional, with most businesses running like before. There are still many houses along the walk I took that still need windows, siding, and roofs. From above, the tree canopy is quite intact, but with many brown palm fronds from the salt water spray. The marker must have been one of the first things that was refurbished after the hurricane.

upload_2017-11-15_12-49-42.jpeg

upload_2017-11-15_12-47-46.jpeg

Bill, we've been on five cruises now and never gotten sick. The "news" is very sensationalized about people getting sick.... That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but given the amount of miles covered and the number of people, it's pretty rare.

FWIW, the cruises are the biggest bang for the buck that you can get for a vacation. I always say this... I get on board, toss my cell, wallet and car keys in the safe and just stop worrying. The ship gets you there and takes care of everything else.

Bill, we've been on five cruises now and never gotten sick. The "news" is very sensationalized about people getting sick.... That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but given the amount of miles covered and the number of people, it's pretty rare.

FWIW, the cruises are the biggest bang for the buck that you can get for a vacation. I always say this... I get on board, toss my cell, wallet and car keys in the safe and just stop worrying. The ship gets you there and takes care of everything else.

My favourite part is doing or seeing something today, then getting up the next morning somewhere else to do it all over again. This is #16 for me.

For the most part, the area around the port in Key West seems to be fully functional, with most businesses running like before. There are still many houses along the walk I took that still need windows, siding, and roofs. From above, the tree canopy is quite intact, but with many brown palm fronds from the salt water spray. The marker must have been one of the first things that was refurbished after the hurricane.

View attachment 151883

View attachment 151882

Too many clouds

Well ... I might have to investigate further. Do all the boats leave from Florida?

BTW, Peter, I looked at the road to Tuk, the last 5-600 miles is Dempster Highway an "all weather" gravel road. Maybe better to run south to Galveston, at least the roads are paved. Maybe I'll take the Jeep up to Tuk, I just want to see the north.

Is there a "good" cruise company list?

Well ... I might have to investigate further. Do all the boats leave from Florida?

BTW, Peter, I looked at the road to Tuk, the last 5-600 miles is Dempster Highway an "all weather" gravel road. Maybe better to run south to Galveston, at least the roads are paved. Maybe I'll take the Jeep up to Tuk, I just want to see the north.

You should do Alaska out of Vancouver or Seattle, and maybe combine it with the Denali land tour. Out of my 16, 11 have been on Celebrity.

They leave out of many different ports. We have left out of Seattle, Baltimore, Tampa and New Jersey. We've been doing Royal Caribbean for the last three, but that's mostly because they have ships that leave from Baltimore and New Jersey, either one being a 5-6 hour drive from us.

Look around here: Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic They have a forum too.

Back