It's getting cold. Time to go away

They leave out of many different ports. We have left out of Seattle, Baltimore, Tampa and New Jersey. We've been doing Royal Caribbean for the last three, but that's mostly because they have ships that leave from Baltimore and New Jersey, either one being a 5-6 hour drive from us.

Look around here: Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic They have a forum too.
Is Baltimore a better port than Bayonne?

Time for the last happy hour for this trip.

20171115_180846.jpg

Colorado is my destination next week.
Elevation over 4,500 ft. yet 10 degree warmer than Michigan.
I’ll take a sunny 60 deg. in the Rockies for Thankgiving.

Man I just looked at the Celebrity site and all they talk about is "perks", what the heck are perks? I guess I should get out more! In the past I've picked a 5-star resort to visit and then found an airline willing to go there. This cruise idea is totally foreign to me. I like "all inclusive", especially for the food and bars.

All inclusive works for me, otherwise you're reaching for your wallet every few seconds.

Is Baltimore a better port than Bayonne?
Baltimore was easier. Pull up, the porters grab your stuff out of the trunk and you are on your way. We've left out of Bayonne a couple times now. First time, they were just starting construction and everything was messed up. Since then, they've been working on it and the last time was a lot less painful. We haven't been back since they finished their new facilities, so I can't tell you for sure, but I think they will be OK.

Man I just looked at the Celebrity site and all they talk about is "perks", what the heck are perks? I guess I should get out more! In the past I've picked a 5-star resort to visit and then found an airline willing to go there. This cruise idea is totally foreign to me. I like "all inclusive", especially for the food and bars.
The food is always included... Some of their "specialty" restaurants are more $, but I always like the food in the main dining room. Alcohol is not included, but there are drink packages. We don't drink much, so we just figure on running up a small bar tab.

BTW, the dining room isn't all that "formal".

Baltimore was easier. Pull up, the porters grab your stuff out of the trunk and you are on your way. We've left out of Bayonne a couple times now. First time, they were just starting construction and everything was messed up. Since then, they've been working on it and the last time was a lot less painful. We haven't been back since they finished their new facilities, so I can't tell you for sure, but I think they will be OK.
I am fairly certain that the new facility was finished when I left there Oct '16. There was still outside work going on,and the traffic pattern was a pain in the @ss.

I will never, ever, go on a cruise ship. It's a floating Petri Dish of vile bacteria, viruses, and gawd knows what sicknesses from around the world are attacking every organ in your body.
No, sir. I will not even meet you at the pier.
Just thinking about it I have to shower now...
Not any worse than the local Walmart.
21616310_471374073248628_6473488773226941654_n.jpg

Thanks for posting. We had our first cruise in October out of Venice. Highly recommended if you don't mind gaining 10 lbs.

The reality is that is an issue the first couple of times, then the novelty wears off. I don't think I eat much more than normal, but I have been known to be wrong on occasion.

Thanks for posting. We had our first cruise in October out of Venice. Highly recommended if you don't mind gaining 10 lbs.

On a good week which is most of them, I come in contact with very few people besides my wife. Oh sure I have my clients, a few designers and my materials suppliers but with the kind of projects I do I an go weeks in between seeing them. I work 6 days a week for several reasons and on the seventh we see some family. Boarding a big *** boat with a couple of thousand strangers just to share a bunch of common areas sounds like the last thing I’d want to do on a vacation but I know some people enjoy cruises, to each their own.
I should also mention that I don’t care to drink much at all and would rather not have the opportunity to overeat around every corner.

On a good week which is most of them, I come in contact with very few people besides my wife. Oh sure I have my clients, a few designers and my materials suppliers but with the kind of projects I do I an go weeks in between seeing them. I work 6 days a week for several reasons and on the seventh we see some family. Boarding a big *** boat with a couple of thousand strangers just to share a bunch of common areas sounds like the last thing I’d want to do on a vacation but I know some people enjoy cruises, to each their own.
I should also mention that I don’t care to drink much at all and would rather not have the opportunity to overeat around every corner.

When i do go south, i just rent a convertible and drive the wheels off the thing. I'll land in San Diego or Orlando, drop the top, i'm good.
Done the big boat full of people just bent on buggin me thing and was ready to take a dive off the stern. We're not big crowd types.

Of course cruise ships like airplanes or other such devices can be bug central, but there are worse things. My youngest grand daughter just started attending day care last week and already everyone she's had contact with is feeling like crap. I suppose I could escape this germ feast for a cruise and add a little motion sickness to the mix. So Peter your deck cruise got me thinking I should sign up for a cruise or two, but then Commando1 managed to convince me otherwise! :poke: They say bugs don't like cold temperatures, maybe I'll setup camp in the backyard.

View attachment 151865

If I ever take another cruise, I'll be checking with the CDC regarding the ship's inspection records, etc.

Advanced Cruise Ship Inspection Search

Back