JIM GESSWEIN MOPAR AUCTION

garyh

Reaction score
I just saw an ad in the March,19 issue of Old Cars Weekly that VanDerBrink auctions is holding his auction on July 18. Jim is known for selling low mileage Imperials.

Any Thoughts ?

Yvette is good at extracting dollars at classic car auctions. And I think without the extreme overhead of the major houses, so it would seem likely.

I have always been curious about what the story is with Gesswein Motors. I have seen the same cars listed on Hemmings for years. I have clicked on that darn '67 imperial Crown Coupe in red with the black vinyl top and black and white interior many , many times, I just love a '67 Imperial! Does he price them too high, because he doesn't really want to sell them? It can't be the location, so much done on-line today. He always seems to have a good amount of Chryslers. Now an auction, does anybody know the backstory to this joint?

Worth keeping an eye on his inventory, even though his prices are high, he may one day offer the elusive car someone has been looking for, sometimes for many years.

I'm going..... hopefully.....I can't wait to see the expressions on some of their faces when the sales are half of what's anticipated!

Don't get me wrong, some of his inventory is good.... but unfortunately nowhere near his asking prices.....ie., the reason so many of the same cars haven't sold for years!

Went to his place a couple years ago, his cars are really nice. He has a good eye for classic cars and from what I saw only buys the best. My Dad's 300L was part of that collection and it is a really clean car.

I have always been curious about what the story is with Gesswein Motors. I have seen the same cars listed on Hemmings for years. I have clicked on that darn '67 imperial Crown Coupe in red with the black vinyl top and black and white interior many , many times, I just love a '67 Imperial! Does he price them too high, because he doesn't really want to sell them? It can't be the location, so much done on-line today. He always seems to have a good amount of Chryslers. Now an auction, does anybody know the backstory to this joint?

He is a new car FCA dealer that seems to have good ratings overall. He also has a collection of classic cars. I believe you can get a sense of what he is like by watching him (I think) barking about the Jeep he is trying to sell on his website:

Gesswein Motors

Of the 33 vehicles in the 3 pages from the above link, my favorite of all the cars is this one (sans the added steering wheel)' which I know is heresey on this site but the other ones I do like such as the 1960 Imperial are the wrong colors or other issues such as 4 doors instead of two doors for example - this one reminds me of one of my favorite models, the 1981 Imperials

68197141-770-0@2X.jpg
68197124-770-0@2X.jpg

68197126-770-0@2X.jpg

It seemed to me GM usually had a very skilled group of designers, both exterior and interior, in that period that were given generous leeway to carry out their skills.

But Chrysler gave them a run for their money in 1981 with the Imperial that would have been much more successful if their EFI system had been better sorted out before going into production and would have used a 360 rather than 318 in that car.

imperial1-e1466718515675.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been up there for several years now but what you see on that 3 pages 33 cars, doesn't even come close to the total inventory he has especially the 50's & 60's! Just really don't know what exactly is going to be auctioned off. Jim's in his mid 70's....just saying!

That’s a nice ride even in red which I’m not a big fan of.(plum is better:lol:) I know it’s been for sale for quite a while and that kinda sucks because I would consider that to be a very fair price for what looks to be a survivor that even has its Original spare tire. If it’s not hiding anything that’s a downright smokin deal in fact.

"To be Offered for Sale July 18th, 2020 at the Jim Gesswein Collector Car Auction!!

Some very nice cars on offer. Good to see they are optimistic that we will have the Wuhan virus issue behind us by then. Maybe there is hope for Carlisle and Moparfest.

I know is heresey on this site but the other ones I do like suich as the 1960 Imperial are the wrong colors or other issues such as 4 doors instead of two doors for example -

Believe it or not, I see where you are coming from. The Imperial convertibles have my interest, but only the blue/white example would be something I'd bid upon. The green is "meh" and the 1960 will sell for an insane amount. One exception is the '77 NY'er in chocolate brown/chocolate brown w/sunroof. A friend owned that car at one point. I should have made a play for it, but I'd have to ditch the BSM and then it isn't original anymore.

Another friend owns a former Gesswein car which was represented as original paint (and the current owner believes this). While it's a good repaint, the factory jobs didn't have "feather edging" of past bodywork making their way through the paint. I haven't the heart to say anything, so I don't. I wonder if this is why Gesswein let it go?

Good to see they are optimistic that we will have the (...) virus issue behind us by then. Maybe there is hope for Carlisle and Moparfest.

The Gesswein auction was announced in late February, which is AFAICT before most folks realized that the coronavirus was going to be a major issue (the stock market started going down on Feb. 20, but it had partly rebounded by March 4 and only started really tanking after that date). I am therefore not sure that I would read much -- if anything -- in the auction's July timing.

The gold '68 VIP is what did it for me, go figure. There were several on there that were real beauties. I'd love to see the '59 Royal Lancer in person. That is not something you see very often.

Gesswein also has one of the largest inventories of NOS vintage parts still in a Dealership. He comes up with many of the old part number searches I do when I am bored. Can't get him to part with any of them when I asked but I wonder if that will be part of the auction as well.

Back