Jittering shock absorber

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Every had the top of a KYB gas-a-just shock absorber (where the bolt slides through its rubber core) “jitter” back and forth while driving over imperfections in the road…potholes, speed bumps, etc.? See pics....

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

They weren't KYB, but yes. On mine the steel sleeve was about an 1/8 of an inch to short. I took them back for a different pair and they were the same. I guess I could have used some washers, but instead I was able to just squeeze the gap closed with the bolt.

I have also seen where the inside diameter of the sleeve was larger than the outer of the bolt causing up and down movement.

They weren't KYB, but yes. On mine the steel sleeve was about an 1/8 of an inch to short. I took them back for a different pair and they were the same. I guess I could have used some washers, but instead I was able to just squeeze the gap closed with the bolt.

I have also seen where the inside diameter of the sleeve was larger than the outer of the bolt causing up and down movement.

The steel sleeve that fits around the bolt on mine fits that gap, but the material (rubber?) covering the sleeve itself may have dislodged itself or has deteriorated and is now missing. I've had these shocks on since last fall and they did not start out this way. A malfunction or design flaw with the shock itself. Either way they should not be moving in such a manner.

KYB GAS SHOCKS.jpg

IMG_5774.JPG

"Thank you for contacting KYB Americas Corporation. Our customer support team will review your message as soon as possible to respond and/or forward your inquiry to the proper department. KYB Customer Support is available Monday – Friday (except holidays) from 7:00AM – 6:00PM Central Standard Time".

Thank you,

...well, here we go.

I misunderstood you sorry about that. Aren't they ''lifetime'' warranty? Maybe you got a bad pair.

I misunderstood you sorry about that. Aren't they ''lifetime'' warranty? Maybe you got a bad pair.

Yes, I believe they are. I think I purchased them off Jeg's. The fun will begin next week after the holiday. I'm not picky but I don't expect a part I buy to malfunction while performing what it was designed to do.

I say that because of a issue I had in recent years on our conversion van. The after market rear shocks fit snugg for the first months of installation. The sleeve just seemed a bit too short.

KYB claims to have 3 "Facilities" in North America, 2 in Chicago and 1 in Southern California. And a KYB Manufacturing North America plant in Franklin, Indiana from which they manufacture original equipment shocks and struts for carmakers in the Americas and around the globe.

KYB claims to have 3 "Facilities" in North America, 2 in Chicago and 1 in Southern California. And a KYB Manufacturing North America plant in Franklin, Indiana from which they manufacture original equipment shocks and struts for carmakers in the Americas and around the globe.

Maybe I'm being a stickler but again this does appear to be a faulty part on the shock. No telling what type of damage could be going on with it jittering back and forth on its sleeve. That's what bothers me about it.

Commando made a comment about the Chinese......I would not be surprised if these are "Chinese made" too.

Maybe I'm being a stickler but again this does appear to be a faulty part on the shock. No telling what type of damage could be going on with it jittering back and forth on its sleeve. That's what bothers me about it.

Commando made a comment about the Chinese......I would not be surprised if these are "Chinese made" too.

Ya, I'm pretty sure KYB isn't going to let us know if the $1 per week offshore employees or the $25 per hour Made in the USA employees made the shocks.

I'll post the results...if any, from KYB. Right now I expect them to just ignore my initial email....I think it was a "bot" that hit me back with the "Thank you for contacting KYB.....yadayada.....was not a REAL person.

This entire thread is shocking!!!:laughing7: lol...

sorry had to, couldn't help my self..lol...

UPDATE! So here is the exchange with KYB concerning the defective shock absorber so far....comments? (this is all verbatim).

I am writing in regard to a pair of KYB gas-a-just model shock absorbers I have installed on the rear axle of my vehicle. I had these shock absorbers installed in Fall of 2011. Recently I’ve begun to hear a frequent “knocking” noise emitting from the left side rear of my vehicle. After inspecting the area (and a visit to an auto repair shop) it appears on the head of the left rear shock absorber, the rubber material surrounding the metal sleeve (which the bolt slips through)has deteriorated or dislodged itself. This is allowing the head to slip back and forth on the metal sleeve, which is occurring while driving and in turn making loud “knocking” noises in back of the car. I have included a picture of the shock installed on my car as reference. Is there a known solution to fix this problem? I would prefer to have the shock absorber head to be completely locked down and not able to move about when driving.

KYB Tech Support:
"Good morning, please send vehicle information and part number used. We can check to see if you have the correct ones for your application".
Thank you.

MY RESPONSE:
1970 Chrysler Newport 2dr coup
383 cu. In. engine, 727 3sp automatic transmission, 8 ¾ rear end
KYB rear shocks part no. #KG5512

KYB Tech Support:
"If the metal sleeve has separated from the rubber the unit will need to be replaced. This is covered by warranty as long as you have your receipt by the store you originally purchased them through. During installation be sure the vehicle has the wheels on the ground (sitting at ride height, and not with the wheels hanging as if sitting on a service list frame rack".

MY RESPONSE:
I still have the receipt of purchase from the store these were originally bought from. How do I go about seeking reimbursement for the cost of the original unit being that it is still under warranty? Will KYB send replacement?? Additionally, I will also want to inspect the other rear shock to ascertain if it too is also defective or showing signs of imminent failure. What if it is in the same shape? Please advise.
Also, please clarify this statement - “During installation be sure the vehicle has the wheels on the ground (sitting at ride height, and not with the wheels hanging as if sitting on a service list frame rack”.
These shocks were installed at a large Auto repair & service chain where it is standard procedure to suspend a vehicle in the air on a lift to install shock absorbers. Once the installation is complete the car is lowered to the ground to check ride height.

KYB Tech Support:
Good afternoon, the exchange will need to be processed by the original retailer where the parts were purchased. The statement means the shocks will need to be installed with the vehicle on the ground. Unfortunally we don’t have a system to process claims. Thank you.

So now I go back to the original retailer (Jeg's) to see if they will take the shocks back; which they most likely will not, but maybe I'm being pessimistic -- we will see. If not, greater measures WILL be pursued.

As far as KYB Tech Support suggested shock absorber installation procedure is concerned, SAY WHAT?

Sometimes you just gotta, shake your head in disgust with the system and walk away....

Yup, the wise pick and choose their battles; I might just do that if it looks like I'm going to get a bunch of hassle. Tell you what though, I'll never buy KYB anything again if they put up a bunch of BS.

Back