JJ's 69 300 Restoration

I plan to make it look the the pic from a 1969 add. Red with white interior. Always what I wanted. Will ad a console. I will keep it correct, just different color...if that makes sense..

I know it's your dream color combo, but the current color of the car is a very classy color. It is one of my favorite Chrysler colors. I know red is flashy and all (I have two red '66 300s), but you can get tired of it more quickly than some other colors. Also, yer gonna play hell changing the interior color over to white from the very appealing color combination it is now. In the end, its yer car - blah, blah blah. . .

I hear ya. Been thinking it over long and hard for about a year. Looking at MANY photos. I've had a blue, I've had a yellow. Kept coming back to the red white combo. Interior, panels and all are in great shape, so just planning to paint them with Herb's paint. Seats are available, either way, but are cheaper in white vinyl, rather than the cloth inset, so that saved money is getting me a console.....

I hear ya. Been thinking it over long and hard for about a year. Looking at MANY photos.

It's your car and what matters is whether you'll enjoy it. But... Before you do the deed, consider a second course of action: that you fix this one the way she was built, and look out for your dream red one. Then, when you find the latter (and you WILL find it), sell the former.

Based on the comments in this thread, I suspect that this alternative strategy would let you come out ahead. That's because, if we were in the market for a '69 300, folks like myself or @Ripinator would buy the original after you've fixed it according to the build sheet, but would almost certainly pass on a "resale red" repaint with dyed seats.

PS: It's not a color question. I like red, like Rip. To wit, I also have an ER6 "lipstick red" fusie Polara 'vert that I love.

It's your car and what matters is whether you'll enjoy it. But... Before you do the deed, consider a second course of action: that you fix this one the way she was built, and look out for your dream red one. Then, when you find the latter (and you WILL find it), sell the former.

Based on the comments in this thread, I suspect that this alternative strategy would let you come out ahead. That's because, if we were in the market for a '69 300, folks like myself or @Ripinator would buy the original after you've fixed it according to the build sheet, but would almost certainly pass on a "resale red" repaint with dyed seats.

PS: It's not a color question. I like red, like Rip. To wit, I also have an ER6 "lipstick red" fusie Polara 'vert that I love.
I'll have to agree with JJ. Return to original is fine, but If I am going to go through the hassle of rebuilding a car, I'm going to do it for me, not the next owner, especially if it will be built in a way that could have been ordered. It really sucks to get into a car and not be happy with your surroundings. Kind of defeats the "in my happy place" feeling. The whole idea is like when a co-worker of mine was deciding what to order in his new ride, he was more concerned about resale value than his actual wants, meaning he really wasn't going to be 100% happy with his choices.

Not what I am saying. My suggestion is to get to enjoy two different cars -- the original (bringing it back in shape), then enjoying that car till he finds the red one (one that was red from birth), and then selling the first to fund the second. But, as I said, it's his car and indeed he should do what pleases him.

Last edited:
Not what I am saying. My suggestion is to get to enjoy two different cars -- the original (bringing it back in shape), then enjoying that car till he finds the red one (one that was red from birth), and then selling the first to fund the second. But, as I said, it's his car and indeed he should do what please him.
I understand what you are saying. Putting myself in his position, I know I wouldn't be happy with the car. Every time I looked at it in the garage or got into it, I would be thinking "why didn't I just do what I wanted in the first place?".

I understand what you are saying. Putting myself in his position, I know I wouldn't be happy with the car. Every time I looked at it in the garage or got into it, I would be thinking "why didn't I just do what I wanted in the first place?".
That kinda sums it up. I'm 58 years old. Don't know how many red with white interior 69 300's may come my way while I'm still able to do this work. The work involved to restore it to original is the same, in my eyes, to make it what I want. I agree that original holds it place and value, but, I consider this my last restoration...I want it my way....

That kinda sums it up. I'm 58 years old. Don't know how many red with white interior 69 300's may come my way while I'm still able to do this work. The work involved to restore it to original is the same, in my eyes, to make it what I want. I agree that original holds it place and value, but, I consider this my last restoration...I want it my way....
If you look at my 300 convertible photo garage, it will be quite evident why I agree with your plan.

Last edited:
Nice car and work. Look forward to updates as you get more done. The main thing to me is you are improving the car and keeping it on the road. That is a win, even if myself or the next person would have done something different. I would always rather see a car being saved and or improved and being driven than parked waiting for another day. All the while deteriorating. Do what makes you happy and enjoy the car. If we all did the same thing we would live in a boring world.

IMG_20200915_152835.jpg
IMG_20200915_160558.jpg
Rear bumper taillights and quarter caps off, driver side glass and hardware off and stripped.....

Coming right along and making progress!
Just to re-state something quickly. I like to see a car original as well. But, due to the scarcity of the c-body parts and the widely different budgets everyone has everyone may not be able to accomplish that.
So, with that in mind if someone keeps a non-original c-body running and being driven, the hobby as a whole wins. Merely my opinion only.

excited to see your restoration progress. I am also trying my hand at restoring g a once restored 300... 1969 convertible. dark Brian exterior with a white interior... last own er purchased a black ragtop to replace the old white one it came with. still on the fence to just use the black one since its already in my possession or try to sell that one and install the correct color white one. I envy you taking on the rust issues yourself.... the extent of my body work will be to wire wheel the floor pan, prime, paint, and install some Dynamat and Dynaliner. Best of luck to you!!

Thanks, I love the colors on your car, briar with the white, I think pops. I would go with the white top, but you know, we all have opinions.

Update:
Mostly stripped, and engine pulled. Couple of firewall items to take off, and the dash, then off to the body/paint man.
I'm close!
PXL_20201002_210602313.jpg
PXL_20201002_210602313.jpg
PXL_20201002_210531343.jpg
PXL_20201002_210519959.jpg
PXL_20201002_210510045.jpg
PXL_20201005_164730565.jpg
PXL_20201005_150759509.jpg

Two styles available. Mine has cornering lights, versus reflectors
L35 on the build sheet

Last edited:
Back