joining the family 72 newport

ricks_RR

Reaction score
just bought this 1972 Newport

1972 newport.jpg

Where did you find it? Looks great! Any history behind it?

just drive it to shows let my girlfriend drive it and I will take my road runner

doe's any one remember tex's smith he was the author for a hot rod magazine years ago .
I think it was called customs and rods well this was his car .trying to get documentation on the car I bought it from a friend of his . tex's passed away awhile ago and the guy I got it from has had it for many years .I will look at the title again my friend bought it with 26.000 miles and it has now 27,000 miles he only drove it 1,000 miles in about 18/20 years .

Last edited:
doe's any one remember tex's smith he was the author for a hot rod magazine years ago .
I think it was called customs and rods well this was his car .trying to get documentation on the car I bought it from a friend of his . tex's passed away awhile ago and the guy I got it from has had it for many years .I will look at the title again my friend bought it with 26.000 miles and it has now 27,000 miles he only drove it 1,000 miles in about 18/20 years .
Yea, Tex Smith was a real innovator!

He wrote a lot of books and I think he might have been editor of Rod and Custom. Even if he wasn't editor, he was a frequent contributor.

In the early sixties, he built the XR6 and that car won the "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" award. Slant six powered, Model T body. I remember building the model car when I was a kid!

XR6-right-front-.jpg

What was the name of the guy you got it from?

this 1972 Chrysler Newport was his so I am trying to get more info .the guy I bought it off of was a very good friend of tex which is a great guy to know . he is a big old hemi guy him self so a little history in this car

this 1972 Chrysler Newport was his so I am trying to get more info .the guy I bought it off of was a very good friend of tex which is a great guy to know . he is a big old hemi guy him self so a little history in this car
Oh!!! So this was owned by Tex Smith!

He wrote some books on Mopar hot rods and I know he had a 47 or 48 Chrysler that he wrote about in Rod and Custom. He called the car "Walter P. Chrysler".

the guy ( skip )that sold me the car has tex's 48 Chrysler . here is a better picture of the 72 .
skip owned it since 6-11-90 and it only had 40,300 miles on it and now it has 47,100 miles on it .
so it has had a good life .but I want to get more info on the car only so I can keep the history of it alive .

0804171759a.jpg

Back