Junk in the Trunk

Patrick

Reaction score
This is from my '67 New Yorker 4dr hard top. I've been working on putting in a new carpet kit and that includes replacing the brittle and flaking speaker wire running to the trunk. So I popped open the trunk and pulled the spare. This is what I saw:

pLtNxYq

First, what is the box in the middle? I have no idea what it connects to in the back, and in the front the ribbon wire is cut, but there is a little rheostat-thingy with that wire connected to it under the dash.

Second, what are those air hoses to the left and right for? The defrost blower goes to a small vent in the middle while those hoses go to either side. Is that rear seat heat?

This is from my '67 New Yorker 4dr hard top. I've been working on putting in a new carpet kit and that includes replacing the brittle and flaking speaker wire running to the trunk. So I popped open the trunk and pulled the spare. This is what I saw:

pLtNxYq

First, what is the box in the middle? I have no idea what it connects to in the back, and in the front the ribbon wire is cut, but there is a little rheostat-thingy with that wire connected to it under the dash.

Second, what are those air hoses to the left and right for? The defrost blower goes to a small vent in the middle while those hoses go to either side. Is that rear seat heat?

The box is your radio's reverb unit if I'm not mistaken. The two hoses should be your air circulation ducts.

pLtNxYql.jpg

Those look like suicide hoses. They direct exhaust directly into the passenger compartment. Very rare option.

Last edited:
67 has the louvers behind the back glass, are these the drains for that? I’m guessing the box isn’t a stock item and is maybe an amp.

Oh MAN.... that means you have my most favorite option of all - FACTORY REVERB...... it should be a Motorola Vibrosonic unit that hooks into your rear speaker. Not sure how it was controlled, but on '67 Imps it was the same switch as the rear speaker, you pulled it OUT and turned for the amount of reverb. I THINK on '66's and earlier it was a separate knob that installed under the dash........ not sure how it was controlled on a '67 Chrysler though.....

'67 hardtops have the louvers for air circulation, which those hoses are probably the ducts for.....

The box is a reverb unit as mentioned above - controlled on the dash by dual purpose fader dial - in and twist controls the balance front to rear, pull out and twist controls the amount of reverb added.

The two rubber hoses as noted are the water drains for the flow through ventilation system. Your car should have a grill behind the rear window. As well as letting air flow through and out, it collected water which drained out near the rear wheelhouse.

Back