Junkyard Haunting

GregG48203

Reaction score
On another visit to Ryan's Pick-A-Part in Detroit this past weekend, I stumbled across this unexpected result:
1953Ply4.jpg

1953Ply3.jpg

1953Ply2.jpg

It's a little surprising to see one of this vintage here (1953 Plymouth).

Chrusher? They still use them? I thought they just ground them up and had a automatic sorting process for the ferrous, non-ferrous, recyclable, & fluff.

I think that old boat would choke the grinder.

Chrusher? They still use them? I thought they just ground them up and had a automatic sorting process for the ferrous, non-ferrous, recyclable, & fluff.

I think that old boat would choke the grinder.

The shredder/grinders are usually off-site. They crush to fit more on a truckload before going to the shredder.

I see really old cars like that sometimes at local pick-a-parts. I think they often come from estates. Probably a "gonna-fix-someday" project stuffed in a garage for 30+ years. Better than straight-to-crusher, but sorta sad at the same time.

In fact, a buddy just sent me a pic of a a whole group of mid-size Buicks (GSX style) lined up in the staging area at 8 mile Parts Galore. Probably somebody's hobby/project cars.

They use the crusher at our local pick-a-part. Load the crushed vehicles on a truck and send them out to recycling.

Well . . . a LA engine will bolt right to that transmission. Or a modern 518 with a new driveshaft? Add some 12V electrics. Enjoy it! Certainly not many like it still around.

Can't find "Chair-high seating" any more!

CBODY67

Back