Jury Duty....

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well I was summoned for jury duty in the beginning of June. I could probably get out of it for medical reasons but it may be entertaining since I'm retired now. As long as they accommodate reasonable parking for me I'll go. The parking garage is several blocks away and I would have to walk uphill for 3 blocks. There is parking across the street so they can let me park there.

Well I was summoned for jury duty in the beginning of June. I could probably get out of it for medical reasons but it may be entertaining since I'm retired now. As long as they accommodate reasonable parking for me I'll go. The parking garage is several blocks away and I would have to walk uphill for 3 blocks. There is parking across the street so they can let me park there.

I got called about 10 years back. Actually got seated on a criminal case involving the use of a firearm. As soon as they found out I was an NRA member and instructor, the let me go and have never been called again. Got paid a whopping $3.68 for my day's service.

Dave

I have been selected for jury duty before. I was always excluded as soon as they started digging in to my military service.

I have been selected for jury duty before. I was always excluded as soon as they started digging in to my military service.

Typically, they do not want anyone who knows firearms or the related laws pertaining to their legal use.

Dave

I got summoned for a grand jury years ago. Called the number every day as required, after the last day they said thank you for your service. End of story.

I got called twice and served each time. USMC Vietnam veteran cut no slack. 1st trial was a murder case and we were sequester for a week. 2nd was home accident insurance claim. very interesting and glad I served. There was a woman in the pool who wanted exclusion because her husband was a police officer. she was the first called....HaHaHa

My jury duty was for a 1st degree murder trial two years ago. Very interesting and not at all like Hollywood might portray court. Sadly another young man was sent away for life ‘cause his girl was moving on so he shot her. Punk. Took us five minutes to pick a foreman and count twelve votes.

Last edited:
I've been stateside since 1992 and I've been stationed and lived in Maryland ever since. This is the 3rd time that I've been summoned. I have never been selected. I'm 64 now....we'll see if I'm selected.

If I'm selected I would take this duty very serious especially if it is a criminal trial. I couldn't put anybody in jail unless I'm 1000 percent certain the person is guilty.

I have served twice also, first case was a criminal case on pandering. Second was a lawsuit against the city. Met a real nice lady on the first case, nice way to spend two weeks. (My job had to make up the difference in pay wink, wink).

Today was my last day of a 3 day term, checked website all 3 days, they never selected me to come in.

Got selected twice, 1st time phone in 3x with no reporting in. 2nd time about a year ago, called in, while waiting in court for screening. The judge came in and announced a plea bargain was in process, and to be patient. Two hours had passed and we were all released.

One note.
You can ask for a postponement or reschedule but don’t be surprised if you get scheduled for jury duty around a holiday. And you won’t be allowed to reschedule a second time.

One note.
You can ask for a postponement or reschedule but don’t be surprised if you get scheduled for jury duty around a holiday. And you won’t be allowed to reschedule a second time.

No postponement. My luck it would be rescheduled during Carlisle.

I rescheduled so I could attend Carlisle. Already had my reservations. Oakland County here doesn’t like rescheduling. Got rescheduled to day after Labor Day!

I seem to get called up every couple years. Lost count of how many civil and criminal cases I've been a juror on. Last few times, I was 'elected' jury foreman, as I had the most experience lol. My company pays unlimited days for jury duty. I don't mind it.

Been called up five times. First one had me sitting around the courthouse. Almost was picked for a jury, but they settled while we were out to lunch. Second was easier, they had a call in system by then and I never had to go in. Third and forth time was at the local town court in the evening. Those might have actually been interesting. Both cases were settled before I went in and that was great. The last one... I had to reschedule because of a work conflict. No big deal, they were fine with the reason. Got the rescheduled date and guess who forgot to mark it on his calendar? Yea... I remembered on Thursday (jury duty started Monday). I called in and listened to the recording, my number wasn't called and it said any number not called was done. I didn't know if my number had been called during the week or not, but I never heard anything... So I guess it wasn't.

Couple years ago i got called in for thursday trial, was during the jury interview and they asked, when the lawyer lady asked me this question. when a person thinks they are telling the truth, but you know they are lying. I went with the first thought that popped into my mind. Soothsayer... They were totally like thank you good bye. I didn't even get paid for showing up. But my boss at the time over paid me for that day to make up for it...

30 years ago I spent a day in the jury pool. People would occasionally poke their head in surveying the room. A few people were picked all day. Most were of a certain ethnicity. End of the day the rest were all sent home. Looking at the docket in the hall I read all but one case was settled. Apparently the defense didn't like the look of the jury pool for these cases.

Back