Just a thought, but a serious one

75LandYacht

Yank Tank
Reaction score
So! I have seriously been considering a total color change on my New Yorker. As you can see it’s original paint in Spinnacker white,
C0B53FDA-A0C3-4AB8-801D-3DB44F58CF6B.jpeg
but ever since I saw “Winchester Gray” on a Cuda I have been completely fascinated with that color.
4419A5C7-E2F4-48B9-91AF-1D229CCFB968.jpeg
My interior is white with black carpet and obviously a white vinyl top all of which will stay.. but that Winchester gray really has me..
ECD37651-68A8-4601-B7E9-18F691FDEC59.jpeg
so I’m ready for your thoughts and all the stones to be cast my way. I have thick skin. So Thought?

So! I have seriously been considering a total color change on my New Yorker. As you can see it’s original paint in Spinnacker white, View attachment 168511 but ever since I saw “Winchester Gray” on a Cuda I have been completely fascinated with that color. View attachment 168512 My interior is white with black carpet and obviously a white vinyl top all of which will stay.. but that Winchester gray really has me.. View attachment 168513 so I’m ready for your thoughts and all the stones to be cast my way. I have thick skin. So Thought?

John: I think your car is stunning - just the way it is. I would never paint it another color.

On a B or E, I can see that colour with a white top, but on a more stately vehicle that top would need to be a complimentary shade, not contrasting. Silver top would look better with that gray, IMO.

On a B or E, I can see that colour with a white top, but on a more stately vehicle that top would need to be a complimentary shade, not contrasting. Silver top would look better with that gray, IMO.
I see you’re vision, food for thought Thx.

I kinda like it white... But that color is nice...

But, have you priced paint work lately? The cost may change your mind in a hurry.

I kinda like it white... But that color is nice...

But, have you priced paint work lately? The cost may change your mind in a hurry.
I haven’t, but in knows it “2nd mortgage“ kinda high.. I was just tossing the ball up in the air to see how it came back.

Why mess with a classic look! That color won't look the same on the Formal as it does on the 'cuda. I'd be afraid it might even cheapen the look of the Formal. Maybe not - but I do think it's a risk. jmho

I shall be the contrary voice here... I'm OK with color changes if*

* has to be done correctly... remove hood/trunk, weather strips, wiring off firewall, etc.

* has to be an available color for that model/year (some exceptions if you really know what you're doing... Winchester Gray is not a "crazy" color. Sublime or even a prior year's turquoise would look dumb on a formal. Just the wrong look for a mid-70s car).

For this particular car, I'd be on the fence. The good news is 3x white is still a sharp combo.

I have no problem with a color change especially with the color you have chosen IF......

1. The car is not a special model. Example: 1978 Salon.
2. It's done 150% correctly so there s no trace anywhere of the original color.

My only recommendation is that you chose a another color that was available with with your specific model. You might like Dove Grey that would be appropriate. Also pump up the metallic in it.

EDIT... I see Carmine also has the same thoughts. But, of course. lol

FWIW, I had a Spinnaker White NYB and I came to detest it. I am definitely in favor of another color but done correctly.

I shall be the contrary voice here... I'm OK with color changes if*

* has to be done correctly... remove hood/trunk, weather strips, wiring off firewall, etc.

* has to be an available color for that model/year (some exceptions if you really know what you're doing... Winchester Gray is not a "crazy" color. Sublime or even a prior year's turquoise would look dumb on a formal. Just the wrong look for a mid-70s car).

For this particular car, I'd be on the fence. The good news is 3x white is still a sharp combo.

I generally agree with the caveats above, but to really do a color change correctly, you damn near hafta take the whole car apart. That is a huge amount of work, and its really expensive. In the end, it would still probably not get done correctly - and then. . . there you are. . .

I generally agree with the caveats above, but to really do a color change correctly, you damn near hafta take the whole car apart. That is a huge amount of work, and its really expensive. In the end, it would still probably not get done correctly - and then. . . there you are. . .
Totally agree. The car has to be stripped back to basically the shell as it was painted by the factory. And since you will have the engine pulled you might as well go ahead and..
See how it snowballs?

Back