Just bought a 63 Imperial , have a questions...

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I am getting it delivered tomorrow but have a questions...
1. Would like to do a front disc brake swap, ideas?
2. Source for parts? Need door/trunk weatherstripping, horn "lever", dome light lense, brakes etc.
3. It's a full frame car, can the body be separated from the frame? Heard it was welded
4. It has seatbelts in the front, need them for the back. Is it true the seatbelt bolt holes are there in the back.
5. Is the "normal" turn signal lever on other cars the turn signal lever in these cars? This car the lever doesn't want to move, I'm afraid I'm gonna break it, it's so stiff.
6. The trunk is fairly rotten, choices for a new floor?
7. How do I decode the fender tag? The letters under the numbers don't make sense to me.
8. What gauge sheet metal is the body? Need to fix some holes.
Thanks guys

Congratulations on your new '63. Until 1966 the imperial was a D body, body on frame car. This would mean you can separate the body from the frame.

More information can be found on the website of the online imperial club www.imperialclub.com/index.htm.

If you select the imperials by year link you'll find lots of information on the 1963 vehicles, they have a forum but its on yahoogroups if you wish to join.

As for decoding the body tag, try this link -
Www.tpocr.com/chrybp3.html

A lot of the weather stripping and other small sealing parts have been available from Gary Goers and you will find a wealth of other parts in his catalog.

http://www.garygoers.com/cat10B.pdf

Gary recently underwent some significant medical procedures so he is selling his business, but it also sounds like the new potential buyers will continue to offer what he has been selling and add even more parts by consolidating Gary's business with two other businesses. We will have to wait and see how things play out. Gary has been the ultimate producer of parts for these older Chryslers and Imperials plus other forward look cars.

hAVE ANY PICS??
Shortly :)

Congratulations on your new '63. Until 1966 the imperial was a D body, body on frame car. This would mean you can separate the body from the frame.

More information can be found on the website of the online imperial club www.imperialclub.com/index.htm.

If you select the imperials by year link you'll find lots of information on the 1963 vehicles, they have a forum but its on yahoogroups if you wish to join.

As for decoding the body tag, try this link -
Www.tpocr.com/chrybp3.html

I tried that link, it doesn't seem to show options, cruise, a/c etc.

A lot of the weather stripping and other small sealing parts have been available from Gary Goers and you will find a wealth of other parts in his catalog.

http://www.garygoers.com/cat10B.pdf

Gary recently underwent some significant medical procedures so he is selling his business, but it also sounds like the new potential buyers will continue to offer what he has been selling and add even more parts by consolidating Gary's business with two other businesses. We will have to wait and see how things play out. Gary has been the ultimate producer of parts for these older Chryslers and Imperials plus other forward look cars.

Thanks, I love the fact it's hand written :) I'll look at that later.

I am getting it delivered tomorrow but have a questions...
1. Would like to do a front disc brake swap, ideas?
2. Source for parts? Need door/trunk weatherstripping, horn "lever", dome light lense, brakes etc.
3. It's a full frame car, can the body be separated from the frame? Heard it was welded
4. It has seatbelts in the front, need them for the back. Is it true the seatbelt bolt holes are there in the back.
5. Is the "normal" turn signal lever on other cars the turn signal lever in these cars? This car the lever doesn't want to move, I'm afraid I'm gonna break it, it's so stiff.
6. The trunk is fairly rotten, choices for a new floor?
7. How do I decode the fender tag? The letters under the numbers don't make sense to me.
8. What gauge sheet metal is the body? Need to fix some holes.
Thanks guys
:welcome:
For #6... IDK of any quality sheet metal for a full size Chrysler, but if it exists, the links provided will get you there.
For #1... :stop:, You would be better off, IMO, to evaluate the entire car first... including brakes, steering and suspension components. For most folk's use of an old car like this... you may find the originals to be sufficient and if she's as big a project as she sounds, do the things she needs first... you can always spend time researching the brakes for swap possibilities, but it will be plenty of work and $$ to do it. Most hydraulic problems can be fixed fairly cheap and would be easier than to reconfigure the entire system right away.

If you need to do anything that involves lines and/or the master cylinder... you may find the work to change to a dual circuit master cylinder helps prep you for an eventual disc system while allowing you to still drive on the cheap.

:welcome:

For #1... :stop:, You would be better off, IMO, to evaluate the entire car first... including brakes, steering and suspension components. For most folk's use of an old car like this... you may find the originals to be sufficient and if she's as big a project as she sounds, do the things she needs first... you can always spend time researching the brakes for swap possibilities, but it will be plenty of work and $$ to do it. Most hydraulic problems can be fixed fairly cheap and would be easier than to reconfigure the entire system right away.
The drum brakes on my 60 Imperial are more than up to the task of stopping the car. I could probably bounce a unsuspecting passengers head off the dash with a quick panic stop.
I do have new brake shoes on the car and keep them adjusted . I also swap out the brake fluid, usually every other year. Still has the original single chamber master cylinder that probably should be retrofitted to a dual.

Last edited:
Here it is! Can someone please help with decoding the fendertag?
20180305_153136.jpg
20180305_154214.jpg

The rear floor is drilled and has threads to install seat-belts. There will be, or should be, a rubber plug in the holes you will need to remove.

Congrats on your '63.Murray Park in Tiffin,Oh.has parts and is Decent. Gary Goers is Very Good too.(I wonder if any one has ordered from him lately ?)

Back