Just did a new spray job on my '69 Fury.....be nice :)

planebldr

Reaction score
So I picked up a 1969 Plymouth Fury III about a year ago to putz around with. I got it for what I thought was a decent price and would allow me to have a little fun. Yes its a four door, but I have two small girls so it comes in handy....except for when it comes to funding such a project. The way I got it would bring a tear to some people's eyes. So I figured what the heck? I can't make it any worse right? LOL Anyway, when I got it...it has 20" spoked rims with spinners (knockoffs), side pipes, shaved handles (that operated by pushing down on a door lock button on the outside of the car..really?), and great stuff insulation foam to fill any and all rust holes then had filler over it (could see the yellow foam peeking through the paint). Oh the side trim was all removed and the mounting holes/pins were welded shut...VERY well I may add. The shaved handles and everywhere there was a pin...the metal was warped BAD. Then the paint was applied without primer, and from what looked like 10ft away....had the feel for 400grit sandpaper... Anyway....this was my first time painting in almost 14 years, and my third car ever. got some dirt in the paint...but it was done in my garage afterall. Just thought I would share....just for the heck of it :)

Before
DSCF4150.jpgDSCF4154.jpg

After....well so far...
248324_508757282524462_1590381144_n.jpg941886_508757329191124_1307684213_n.jpg

DSCF4150.jpg

DSCF4154.jpg

248324_508757282524462_1590381144_n.jpg

941886_508757329191124_1307684213_n.jpg

Looks great, welcome to the site from the Motor City!

I love that color. You absolutely saved that car. Congratulations.
And welcome to FCBO.

< Sent from my tablet >

Wow! That looks great!

interested in hearing about the shaved doors and how they open now.

Last edited:
You should have kept the side pipes. ;)

I'm kidding but I think the car is cool before & after. Definitely more my taste after but somebody gave it a lot of love ($) before too.

I like the before too :)

I like the after too, but the before was OK . . I woulda kept it :)

what size wheels / tires did you go with?

Well done! The car now has some class. Shaved handles give it a clean look but I'd always worry about a malfunction but that's just me...

Thanks guys.....I do have alot of orange peel so I put a few extra coats to allow sanding and buffing. It truly is a 50ft car though...good from far....far from good LOL. Anyway for my VERY limited budget and time with two little kids this is what I could muster. As far the shaved handles, they were already shaved when I purchased the car. I did get the original handles with the car with the hopes of re-installing them. The metal where the mount was warped from welding too bad and rendered them useless. So shaved it stayed. I purchased a door popper kit. So with a simple remote, you push a button and the door opens. Kinda slick really. Me being the paranoid type thought about the what if's. What if the fuse blows, the solenoids all fail, the remotes die, the receiver gives up the ghost??? So I put in a mechanical override. Its a cable you pull physically that unlatches the door in such an event. No power needed. I ended up using a garage door external release...that way it has a key so not just anyone can pull the cable :) Paranoia kicked in again :) You turn the key, the whole tumbler/lock assy comes out attached to a cable. You pull on that which is connected to the door latch and presto! As far as the car being from WI..... yup! Not sure where it was originally, but I purchased it from a guy outside of Appleton, and I live in Brillion WI. Good observation :) I just wanted a driver. Something to cure the "old car bug". My first car was a 79 Monte Carlo followed up by a 79 Firebird Formula. Granted this car is far from those in styling and size. But this one has been my favorite.

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8wtlBRlDL4E+wg~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8wtlBRlDL4E+wg~~60_57.jpg

Back