Just purchased a 77 Newport Coupe. Your advice, comments and opinions needed!

Pclancy

Reaction score
Dear All:

I am brand new to this forum. I can't wait to try and soak up your collective knowledge. I am not a mechanic, unfortunately, but I do know a little bit about cars. I will depend on you folks...

Here's a link to my vehicle. I will pick her up in May. And then drive her back to the East Coast.

1977 Chrysler Newport Coupe

Any comments on the vehicle? Good, bad, in between? Did I pay too much? I think she looks sharp.

The vehicle has Auto Temp II. The seller reports that it functions normally. Given the headaches involved with repairing AT II, is there anything I can do to keep it running well?

What other advice do you have for a newbie like me?

Thanks for your consideration!

Peter

Dear All:

I am brand new to this forum. I can't wait to try and soak up your collective knowledge. I am not a mechanic, unfortunately, but I do know a little bit about cars. I will depend on you folks...

Here's a link to my vehicle. I will pick her up in May. And then drive her back to the East Coast.

1977 Chrysler Newport Coupe

Any comments on the vehicle? Good, bad, in between? Did I pay too much? I think she looks sharp.

The vehicle has Auto Temp II. The seller reports that it functions normally. Given the headaches involved with repairing AT II, is there anything I can do to keep it running well?

What other advice do you have for a newbie like me?

Thanks for your consideration!

Peter

Welcome Peter... You may already be aware, this forum really likes your car and was watching the sale. You should stick around. Ask specific questions when you need help and start enjoying the great many old threads that could relate to your car.

"Did I pay too much?" Not if you're happy, you will find there is a half serious "standard Formal price" here... $2500. That doesn't mean you got a bad deal at all, in fact if the car is everything she was portrayed to be, you might even call it a bargain at $5700. With parts and repairs, it would be easy to get there, and beyond.

I am not prepared to speak to Auto Temp II at this time... but I'm working on it.

Look here for us watching your car... keep in mind... for sale cars are fair game around here... so this is the most negative you could get from us.
For Sale - 1977 Newport Coupe in Alberta

I am a mechanic, and the knowledge of the members of this forum is incredible... I learn all the time. You have found the right place for you and your car.

Advise, if you at anytime feel the car is not going to survive the trip. Tow it to secured storage, pay a month, and get it transported. I recently used an outfit for a cross country purchase, and was happy. BTW I found them reading here, thanks Wollfen.
http://www.coasttocoastauto.com
It would have been cool to see the country driving a new classic home... but, it's a classic... stuff can/will/does go wrong.

Welcome Peter... You may already be aware, this forum really likes your car and was watching the sale. You should stick around. Ask specific questions when you need help and start enjoying the great many old threads that could relate to your car.

"Did I pay too much?" Not if you're happy, you will find there is a half serious "standard Formal price" here... $2500. That doesn't mean you got a bad deal at all, in fact if the car is everything she was portrayed to be, you might even call it a bargain at $5700. With parts and repairs, it would be easy to get there, and beyond.

I am not prepared to speak to Auto Temp II at this time... but I'm working on it.

Look here for us watching your car... keep in mind... for sale cars are fair game around here... so this is the most negative you could get from us.
For Sale - 1977 Newport Coupe in Alberta

I am a mechanic, and the knowledge of the members of this forum is incredible... I learn all the time. You have found the right place for you and your car.

Advise, if you at anytime feel the car is not going to survive the trip. Tow it to secured storage, pay a month, and get it transported. I recently used an outfit for a cross country purchase, and was happy. BTW I found them reading here, thanks Wollfen.
http://www.coasttocoastauto.com
It would have been cool to see the country driving a new classic home... but, it's a classic... stuff can/will/does go wrong.
Re what to do on the road if problems, that's excellent advice, cantflip. Will be looking out for your thoughts on Auto Temp II, and anything else related to this vehicle.

Welcome to the site, and a very nice car. How long of a trip would you be driving it? A 40 year old car can display a lot of little gremlins on a long trip so I would check into having it transported just in case.

Great Newport. That green interior looks sweet. I think you did good on the price as the po did a lot of work on it. If you do decide to drive it, take your time, don't push for 10 hours a day enjoy the trip. And also find out from someone here about customs at the border. I don't know how to bring a newly purchased vehicle in, is there duty to be paid or? You might have to do some homework on that.

Congratulations, and good luck with it!

I looked this car over pretty good in the ad when it was posted. ATC II made me pass on it. (However, I need the T&T steering column and headliner out of your car for my 78 Newport. LOL!) It's a very nice car and $5700 is a fair price. I have a lot more $$$$ in my 78 NYB and it's still a rusty DD. That tire vibration may be the tires. I would check the age of those tires and if they are 8 years or older I would definitely replace the tires before driving to the east coast. There's a date code on the tires. A tire failure from an old tire is not something you want to experience in a Formal. It looks like single exhaust on your car. I would eliminate the cat (if it's still there) and convert it to dual exhaust. It appears the Lean Burn is still hooked up. Great if it's working for now. Most people replace the system eventually when it fails. There's a standard conversion kit available at Summit or Jeg's and only takes an hour or two to replace. I hope the ATC II works for you. The steering wheel repair is probably going to be the most expensive fix you'll have for this car. There are a couple of places where you can have it recast for $900-$1200. To bad it didn't have power windows.

Last edited:
I looked this car over pretty good in the ad when it was posted. ATC II made me pass on it. (However, I need the T&T steering column and headliner out of your car for my 78 Newport. LOL!) It's a very nice car and $5700 is a fair price. I have a lot more $$$$ in my 78 NYB and it's still a rusty DD. That tire vibration may be the tires. I would check the age of those tires and if they are 8 years or older I would definitely replace the tires before driving to the east coast. There's a date code on the tires. A tire failure from an old tire is not something you want to experience in a Formal. It looks like single exhaust on your car. I would eliminate the cat (if it's still there) and convert it to dual exhaust. It appears the Lean Burn is still hooked up. Grest if it's working for now. Most people replace the system eventually when it fails. There's a standard conversion kit available at Summit or Jeg's and only takes an hour or two to replace. I hope the ATC II works for you. The steering wheel repair is probably going to be the most expensive fix you'll have for this car. There are a couple of places where you can have it recast for $900-$1200. To bad it didn't have power windows.
I agree EXCEPT... you will need the emissions to cross the boarder and might need them in your location... check it before you change anything... after that... I fully agree.

Welcome and congratulations on finding a beautiful example. IMHO it was a fair price. Not including myself there is a lot of technical expertise on this board. But regardless we will all be happy to pipe in with unsolicited advice LOL.

Hello again, Peter. The advice above is a good start. And congratulations.
Of course, once you get it home, we're going to demand pics of every square inch of it it. lol.

Welcome to the site, and a very nice car. How long of a trip would you be driving it? A 40 year old car can display a lot of little gremlins on a long trip so I would check into having it transported just in case.
Understood. But I'm gonna take it real slow, and if has problems, I'll ship it from that point on. Thanks.

Hello again, Peter. The advice above is a good start. And congratulations.
Of course, once you get it home, we're going to demand pics of every square inch of it it. lol.
Pictures will be provided, as well as an account of how the Newport performed. Can't wait!

I looked this car over pretty good in the ad when it was posted. ATC II made me pass on it. (However, I need the T&T steering column and headliner out of your car for my 78 Newport. LOL!) It's a very nice car and $5700 is a fair price. I have a lot more $$$$ in my 78 NYB and it's still a rusty DD. That tire vibration may be the tires. I would check the age of those tires and if they are 8 years or older I would definitely replace the tires before driving to the east coast. There's a date code on the tires. A tire failure from an old tire is not something you want to experience in a Formal. It looks like single exhaust on your car. I would eliminate the cat (if it's still there) and convert it to dual exhaust. It appears the Lean Burn is still hooked up. Great if it's working for now. Most people replace the system eventually when it fails. There's a standard conversion kit available at Summit or Jeg's and only takes an hour or two to replace. I hope the ATC II works for you. The steering wheel repair is probably going to be the most expensive fix you'll have for this car. There are a couple of places where you can have it recast for $900-$1200. To bad it didn't have power windows.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em coming. Seller says tires are new. I pray that the Auto Temp II works and remains reliable.

Great Newport. That green interior looks sweet. I think you did good on the price as the po did a lot of work on it. If you do decide to drive it, take your time, don't push for 10 hours a day enjoy the trip. And also find out from someone here about customs at the border. I don't know how to bring a newly purchased vehicle in, is there duty to be paid or? You might have to do some homework on that.

Congratulations, and good luck with it!
Many thanks!

Good score on this car! I was seriously looking at it until the bids out weighed my desire. Washington DC to Macgrath Alberta thats quite the trip! Macgrath is about as small town Alberta as we get. It's no metropolis like Fumbuck County that's for sure. Best check with the border boys about importation as due to the high volume of recent exports the border crossings in Alberta and BC are all but shut down to vehicle export. Better to try crossing from down East. Also if your state is a title state be warned that Alberta is not so owner history beyond what the seller has may not be available. Cars can change ownership here a million times without reporting to the DMV. I am about 3 hours away from the seller but if you need eyes on it something may be arranged. Shipping from Lethbridge ir Calgary may be easier as well. Good luck and post many pictures!

Good score on this car! I was seriously looking at it until the bids out weighed my desire. Washington DC to Macgrath Alberta thats quite the trip! Macgrath is about as small town Alberta as we get. It's no metropolis like Fumbuck County that's for sure. Best check with the border boys about importation as due to the high volume of recent exports the border crossings in Alberta and BC are all but shut down to vehicle export. Better to try crossing from down East. Also if your state is a title state be warned that Alberta is not so owner history beyond what the seller has may not be available. Cars can change ownership here a million times without reporting to the DMV. I am about 3 hours away from the seller but if you need eyes on it something may be arranged. Shipping from Lethbridge ir Calgary may be easier as well. Good luck and post many pictures!
Our field reporter on the local conditions has some great info there.

Thanks, Dobalovr. I will check with the seller and do more research re importation regs for my state. I will post plenty of pictures. Great advice.

Nice car and I wouldn't worry that much about the drive. It sounds like the previous owner was using the car... My only concern would be the aforementioned tire vibration.

I drive old cars like this cross-country quite a bit and was never left stranded. (To be fair I am a mechanic.) But that is what they were designed for; it's just a machine that has no concept of age. Take some hand tools and a cell phone.

Back