just put duals on my 1973 new yorker

ukfanalways

Reaction score
duals.jpg
duals1.jpg
duals2.jpg
duals3.jpg

Good job. That big block will breathe so much easier. You will notice the improvement. As Mr. C said, don't forget the turn down ends.

Why was there what appears to be an adjustable flap inside the previous existing pipe? Is there a cut out further up?

Heat riser in the manifold.
What is that's purpose? I've never heard of such a thing, so that's what the knob on my car is. I was wondering about it, I kept seeing it thinking it was a clamp tightening or loosening device where the manifold joins the pipe

What is that's purpose? I've never heard of such a thing, so that's what the knob on my car is. I was wondering about it, I kept seeing it thinking it was a clamp tightening or loosening device where the manifold joins the pipe

When engine is cold, it blocks exhaust so exhaust gas must go thru intake manifold crossover and exit otherside exhaust manifold.

When engine is cold, it blocks exhaust so exhaust gas must go thru intake manifold crossover and exit otherside exhaust manifold.
What purpose does that serve? So it is heat activated I assume? As the manifold gets warmer it opens?

Slightly related, a good economical muffler are the Summit stamped turbos (not welded). Very low cost and don't sound like tinny Flowmasters. But best reason is that they flow very high CFM and build a little more power than the competition that's a lot more expensive. At least this is what I've read. Personal experience is that they do not sound obnoxious.

When I had my new dual exhaust done on my car last year the fabricator told me the heat riser was STUCK SHUT for god knows how many years. Between the larger exhaust pipe diameter ,,mufflers and the now open heat riser I noticed a very nice improvement.

Last edited:
Back