K-days are here!

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
One of my jobs takes me into foreclosed/abandoned homes. I found this, intact and in good condition on a shelf in the garage. I was 9 on the day this cross-promotion began and I totally remember it. K-cars were a huge deal when they came out.

I also remember discount stores before they were better known as conduits for shipping crap from China and exploiting their workers. K-mart being Detroit-based was beloved locally. 46 locations! I doubt they have 46 stores left in the USA.

Sigh.

IMG_20180818_085810.jpg

IMG_20180818_085759.jpg

I notice some of these 1981 prices are about what you'd pay today. Of course some of the things like the barstools and card table might have actually been made here!

And mmmm! I'd be all over a $1.97 turkey dinner!

IMG_20180818_085849.jpg

IMG_20180818_085918.jpg

IMG_20180818_090000.jpg

We are a lot alike Carmine , except you are better educated and I'm better looking. Simple things like this brings back fond thought of days gone by. It would have meant something to me too sitting on that shelf .

We are a lot alike Carmine , except you are better educated and I'm better looking. Simple things like this brings back fond thought of days gone by. It would have meant something to me too sitting on that shelf .

I dunno about better educated. Just an urban, midwestern deplorable. However, a Wendy's cashier did once tell me I had nice eyes. That was probably 20 years ago, so you can see how I've clung to it.

I will say that I had a very good childhood surrounded by a big family that cared about me. Lots of great memories including trips to K-mart. I feel both lucky and sad that I can remember the "olden days".

Olden days is relative , everyone has them, just of different time frames. Last I heard there was only one K Mart left.

All the old store stir up memories. Some may be localized I presume most regional or national....Spelling will be wrong on some

Kiddee City
Two Guys
Clover
Strawbridges
Bamburgers
Wannamakers
Korvettes
Woolworths
Tickles
Channel
Hechinger
Penn Jersey auto parts
Bradlees
Jefferson Ward
Caldor
Penn Fruit

Hell even West Coast Video and Blockbuster are names of the past I guess.

My first skateboard was bought at the Korvettes for 19.99.

One of my jobs takes me into foreclosed/abandoned homes.
How many effen jobs do you have. Jeezes. Once a week I read something new.

I long terribly for the Ho-Jo's of my younger days. Great place to go to for dinnr with a blind date. Blind dates in the dining room, truckers at the counter..

13075971494_ff493e3ce9_b.jpg
Screenshot_2018-08-18-10-16-57.jpg

Last edited:
How many effen jobs do you have. Jeezes. Once a week I read something new

It's part of the city job. We buy all the tax foreclosures and re-hab them.

I remember seeing Ho-Jo's, but never went in one. We did have Bill Knapp's.

Good things to Eat!

(best slogan ever)

Olden days is relative , everyone has them, just of different time frames. Last I heard there was only one K Mart left.

All the old store stir up memories. Some may be localized I presume most regional or national....Spelling will be wrong on some

Kiddee City
Two Guys
Clover
Strawbridges
Bamburgers
Wannamakers
Korvettes
Woolworths
Tickles
Channel
Hechinger
Penn Jersey auto parts
Bradlees
Jefferson Ward
Caldor
Penn Fruit

Hell even West Coast Video and Blockbuster are names of the past I guess.

My first skateboard was bought at the Korvettes for 19.99.

Of that list, we only had Korvettes. But we did have...

Department Stores:

Hudsons
Winklemans
Jacobsons
Crowleys

(Good lawd, I just realized why we all say we work at Chrysler's and Ford's)

Grocery:

Chatham
Farmer Jack
Great Scott!!
A&P

Auto Parts:

Murray's
Gratiot Auto Supply
Custom Speed Warehouse
Mancini's Detroit Performance
Richard's Auto Parts
Super Shops (national chain)

....and now, thankfully only the MI-based Meijer chain stands in the way of Walmart domination.

Western Auto...

Edit. Fwiw, in 1972 I opened a bank account. I personally, to this day I have never switched banks, but the bank account I opened in 72 has been with about 7 or 8 banks. My bank acct. ultimately ending with Bank of America.
I have never, ever, been asked.

Last edited:
Thought you still worked at FCA.

What is this "FCA"? Sounds like an Obama agency. I work at Chrysler's.. and as long as I never write that stupid 3-letter combo on a form, or use it in an interview, and my President still tweets "Chrysler", those millennial Dago azzholes can't get rid of the name... and I know that kills them, so help the cause Stan.

The city gig is elected and part-time.

I never said "DaimlerChrysler" either, and look at all the brain space that saved.

What is this "FCA"? Sounds like an Obama agency. I work at Chrysler's.. and as long as I never write that stupid 3-letter combo on a form, or use it in an interview, and my President still tweets "Chrysler", those millennial Dago azzholes can't get rid of the name... and I know that kills them, so help the cause Stan.

I never said "DaimlerChrysler" either, and look at all the brain space that saved.
That's all I asked... :poke:

:)

I made my living for almost 3 years installing enclosures on K-Mart store garden centers. A window Company in Southfield Michigan manufactured them and I installed over 300 of them throughout the US. That was a good time.

Wow, out of all of the stores you guys mentioned I recognized 2; Woolworth and Kresge. Oil City in it's hayday was a hoping place because the headquarters of both Quaker State and Pennzoil were in town. Money flowed in the streets like water in a creek, now practically all that is left is the dry creek bed. So sad.

Back